“Wonderful Place to Stay” 4 of 5 stars

Stollberg Plaza
Stollbergstrasse 2-4, 80539 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #357 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Lexington, Kentucky
“Wonderful Place to Stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I was flipping through various reviews in 2011 and 2012 and saw this place got bad ratings for cleanliness. Totally the opposite of our experience! Very clean, very large suite. Yes the bathroom tiles are old-fashioned brown German tiles and the kitchen is minimal, but you get an amazing amount of space for the price. The staff were extremely friendly and helpful, the location is truly ideal. For this kind of location and space, the hotel is a really good deal. We had a suite for 3, but you could easily house 5 people here. Our room was over the courtyard, and you could not here any traffic. You could hear the occasional neighbor if your window was open, but it was not loud enough to be more than charming. Loved this place, will definitely be back!

Stayed July 2014

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Diepe
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2012

Great location but very average accommodation. The sitting area was spacious with large windows but the noise from outside made it hard to have them open. The bedroom was small and very stuffy. The kitchen was far from clean and not inviting. We felt like holding our Noses before walking up and down the floors due to the smell of rubbish.

Room Tip: Not sure if there is a good room.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Bologna, Italy
1 of 5 stars Reviewed May 23, 2012

I was at the residence Stollberg Plaza in munchen for more than a week.
I do not recommend this to all recidence for the poor relationship that exists between quality and price.
the structure is old and too low quality, the kitchen is unusable (a few dishes and old, burned two pots, a few television channels and has seen so disturbed.
Internet costs 14 euros per day and is very slow.
at last, in towels and bathroom tiles, there's hair (probably from the previous guests or cleaning ladies).
staff, I must say, is very kind and helpful, but certainly, by itself, does not justify the disproportionate cost of recidence.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Munich
2 of 5 stars Reviewed April 11, 2012

We moved to Munich and before finding our own apartment, we had to stay in a temporary accommodation. Based on their website, Stollberg Plaza looked like a good option - great location and tidy, basic apartment... On our arrival Sunday evening around 4pm we were told that our apartment was not ready yet, that the old guests had a late check-out, and in 2,5 hours we would be able to get in. Great. Not that we hadn't adviced about our arrival, but why couldn't they inform us that there would be this kind of delay? Nevermind, just a little bump on the road...

When we finally got our apartment the shock was a little bit bigger. The apartment was very worn out, dusty, kitchen was sticky and dishes were not properly washed (not a place where we would do any cooking), and there was no way of using the dishes before washing them by ourselves. The bathroom walls above the shower had mold on them, bedroom was like from a cheap motel and livingroom just ran down.

The place had a daily room service that was worse than in any other place I've been before. Yes, they did make the bed and that was the best they were able to do. Dusting was unheard of, and after some days I started to write on dust on my night-table, and then two, three days later it was dusted... Same with the floors - no vacuumcleaner touched it, there were dust balls in every corner, only thing you could see was that the floor was mopped with something wet, because you could see the mopping marks on it... How about using some clean water? Some detergent, may be? Also, do not leave your used cups and plates for the room service to clean - they won't be cleaned, just rinsed and stacked with some food leftovers in between. More than once the room service also forgot to provide more toilet paper. Nice to notice on the critical moment...

One morning I accidentally knocked my water glass off the night table and it broke. There are no cleaning gear in the room, so we picked up the biggest glass pieces and the tiny ones we covered with towels, so that we wouldn't accidentally step on it. Went down to the reception to ask for a vacuumcleaner because of the broken glass. They gave us a new glass and told that the room service would take care of it, vacuum it, etc... In the evening when we got back what was done? The towels were removed and the floor was NOT vacuumed.

On one of the first nights we were woken up by really loud noises upstairs. It was yelling and screaming without any words, just bloody noise! For two hours we listened to it and then my husband decided to call the hotel emergency after hours number (reception was open until 11pm) we found from the room info folder. The number was not in use. He went downstairs to check and found another emergency after hours number. Answering machine...

There were so many little things that did not work in this place. I got a feeling that the management didn't really care as long as there were money coming in. The place is in serious need of some renovation, updating, and proper cleaning personnel/staff. Oh, and when asking to borrow an iron I got three broken ones, and then the fourth one was new, basic one. Why would I want a steam iron anyway?

I give this place two dots - poor rating - one for the great location and the second one for the young receptionist who was replacing the manager in the beginning, she was very helpful and understanding.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Redwood City, California
1 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2011

Well we planned on staying here for 3 nights but made only 2 because of the odor in the livingroom and bathroom. The shower curtin was so bad of soap scum and mold we had it replaced the next day. The kitchen had cob webs and a dirty oven. Carpet was stained in too many places. The apartment was nothing like you saw on the internet. The noise from the bike rental Co employees early in the morning was another problem. The cleaning maids also left dirty laundry in front of our door for 1 1/2 days.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Toronto, Ontario CANADA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2011

We stayed at the Stollberg Plaza Apartments in August 2011 for 4 days/3 nights. We had a beautiful, spacious one bedroom apartment for my two adult daughters, my husband and myself. The staff set up beds near the living room for our daughters. Believe me, this place is big enough. We felt as if we lived in this apartment. The kitchen was great, there was a sitting area in the kitchen, as well as a dining area overlooking our view. The bathroom was huge and there was tons of storage space. Katja, the manager was wonderful! Before our trip I emailed her many questions and she always responded with helpful answers. The staff were all so wonderful. Our apartment was always well cleaned and was very tidy. I can't say enough good things about this place. The internet wireless connection was perfect also. We thought it was very reasonable for our stay - much more reasonable than staying at a regular hotel. I found we had personalized service. The Stollberg Plaza is in the best possible location. Close to everything including Marienplatz, Viktualienmarkt, Englischer Garten, Hofbrauhaus just to name a few and it's also within walking distance to the Marienplatz train station. We took a couple of tours while we were there (went to Salzburg, Austria too) and it was so convenient. It was raining heavily this particular morning and they provided us with umbrellas! I know it's only umbrellas but places that we have stayed in the past would almost never have these small conveniences on hand for their guests. We also ordered breakfast for two mornings and it was a great spread, meat cheeses, coffee/tea, jams, nutella, buns and more. They deliver it to you at the time you want it to be delivered. I'm hoping to visit Munich again and when I do, I'm staying here.

Room Tip: We stayed in the Superior Room!
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
Bengaluru (Bangalore), India
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 26, 2011

I was in Munich for a week and stayed at Stollberg Plaza. The charges for the apartment were very reasonable. The apartment I stayed at had a Hall, Kitchen and Dining area. It was very spacious and had an iron board and iron. The apartment complex also had a common laundry area.

The best thing about the Apartment was its proximity to the Max Planck Street. Another attraction was the french restaurant next to it, which served best french food I have had in recent times. Englesch Garten is also 20 mins walk from the Apartment.

They also arrange for breakfast at additional costs.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business

Been to Stollberg Plaza? Share your experiences!