“Very rude, not a good experience” 2 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Italian, Thai, Vegan
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Late Night, Dessert
The Fens
“Very rude, not a good experience”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed November 17, 2011

With a novel way of ordering, you are presented with a card on entry, whereby you put all of your orders on the card then pay when you leave. With a vibrant atmosphere, this could be a very 'cool' place to dine.

But alas, I'm afraid not. Being greeted on entry by a young chap who gave us a card (who broke away from a couple asking him for information to give us the card, which in itself I thought was rude), we found a table, got a drink and looked at the menu.

Now I have to say my German is poor, and call me an ignorant Englishman, but I struggled to understand what was on offer and the concept of the dining experience provided by Gast. I could see people were queuing at various areas to get food as well as food being brought out from a kitchen, but I didn't how/where/what to order. Not being able to attract anyone's attention, my girlfriend went to the front desk and asked the young chap as previously mentioned if they had an English menu, apologising for our poor German. His response 'not at the moment', then turned back to a colleague laughed and continued talking. So I tried to get a waiters attention again to no avail, so I decided to speak to the young chap at the desk. His response to me asking if an English menu was available 'not today, speak to a waiter'. I did ask 'how about tomorrow then' to which he replied 'we have no English menus, speak to a waiter'.

Not too happy, but accepting that I was in Germany so i should make every effort to understand, I managed to get a waiter's attention. Asking how we ordered food, he simply grumbled something about 'get in queue' and wandered off.

It took me less than five seconds to finish my drink and get my coat!

Now I accept knowing a little German may have helped, but the rudeness and general unhelpfulness of the staff was enough to put me off. Definitely think this is a local's bar. Sorry to say but I won't be visiting here again.

• Visited November 2011
    • 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Portland, OR
“Variety of good food for an affordable price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2010

Gast offers a variety of foods--stir fries, pastas, pizzas, brunches--for 5 to 10 Euros. The food is good and the portions are well sized. The restaurant has a very modern feel to it: you walk through the restaurant to different "food stations" and when you buy something you add it to your account card, which you receive when entering the restaurant and give up when you leave (and pay). I had a Margherita pizza (6 Euros) and it was large enough for two people... I also had a salad with it to make it a meal for 2. I can also recommend brunch; for 3 Euros you get 3 eggs (scramble or sunny-side-up) and you can add breads and other foods a-la-carte.

• 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
London, United Kingdom
“nice for a little shopping break”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2010

When you enter you get a card that all your orders will be put on and you hand it back to pay when you leave. Nice and relaxed atmosphere especially in summer when you can sit outside. Modern Italian food that comes in good sized portions.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“zu viel event-cooking”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 15, 2009

zu viel event-cooking

A TripAdvisor reviewer on Facebook
“Been there once but the...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2008

Been there once but the food was really yummie!!!