“Well executed food but very slow” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary
Good for: Romance, Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
London, United Kingdom
“Well executed food but very slow”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

I booked Tantris about two months ago wanting to try a very good and highly recommended restaurant in Munich on a weekend break. I was expecting amazing things having read the various reviews and was very much looking forward to a splash out dinner.

The greeting at the door was spot on and we were whisked to our table. Throughout the evening I couldn't fault the friendliness of the service. One of the problems in Michelin starred restaurants is that the service can be so spot on it becomes clinical. But here at Tantris, every member of staff had a genuine smile and warmth.

We of course went for the 8 course tasting menu with paired wines. Now I have to compare this tasting menu to my other most recent Michelin star restaurant, Ocean Restaurant at Vila Vita Parc in Porches, Potugal. Ocean food was of a phenomenal standard of innovation and marriage of flavours. Tantris, well, the food was all very well executed, but, it lacked any va va voom! Dont get me wrong, it was good food, beautifully presented, clearly very skilled prepartion techniques, it just wasnt going to illicit any cartwheels from my reaction. The very best dish of the tasting menu was Fourme d'Ambert with port wine fig.....it was mouth wateringly delicious.

The part of the evening that was very good was the pairing of the wines and the service of the sommelier. I enjoyed how approachable the sommelier was to discuss the wines served and also his enthusiasm for the wines.

Last good point about Tantris is the decor. I loved the retro orange and black juxtaposed with the classic table settings. It shouldnt work together really but the restaurant has a luxurious feel wrapped in a warm glow.

So,onto the bad. We arrived for a 2030 reservation at 2015, and even taking into account that we went for the 8 course tasting, we didnt leave the restaurant until 0030.....thats four and a quarter hours for a meal. Even taking into acount the fact it was 8 courses, it was eye wateringly slow to the point that we were willing it all to be over and even thought about missing courses towards the end. I really dont understand what the problem was either, the service seemed to be on the ball, perhaps it is just the way its done at Tantris. It wasn't however good enough to be drumming your fingers on the table waiting very patiently for the next course to be served and getting to a point that you are willing the dinner to be over.

Lastly, the cost....almost 900 euros for dinner for two is expensive. For that kind of money I expect an exemplary dining experience. Unfortunately this just wasnt that. The food was fine, not great, and the time it took to serve a tasting menu was not good enough.

So my advice, go for the five course tasting menu and arrrive early and you should be ok!

• Visited December 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food

• Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Turkish first
Munich
“Great Package!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012 via mobile

The 70ies interior out of a James Bond movie, the regional, classic, unpretentious cuisine of Hans Haas. The charming and very knowledgable sommelier Justin Leone and the never stiff service all make a Tantris experience truly memorable. We always want to come back.

New York City, New York
“An elaborate con job”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012 via mobile

This place is a joke. The prices were through the roof for a relatively mediocre meal.

First, we were only given the fixed-price menus which were €150 and €175 pp. We had to ask for the à la carte menus. That should never be. A restaurant should always make you feel comfortable, no matter what you want to order.

When we did look at the à la carte menus, we were shocked at the prices.The appetizers were €40-50 and the dishes €60-90.

In terms of ambiance, they had one of the tackiest settings I've seen in a long time. 1960s decor with old hanging orange drapes.

Not only were the prices double what they should have been, the food took forever. We were seated at 8pm and didn't get our entrees until 10. Service was average although quite frankly they were probably trying to avoid us given that the food was taking forever in the kitchen.

Overall we thought Tantris was pretentious, tacky and way overpriced.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Munich, Germany
“A memorable evening at this Star Restaurant in Munich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 27, 2012

My sister treated me for my birthday with a wonderful 5 course dinner with the pairing wines. Everything was just perfect, the excellent food and wines. The service has been very attentive and we had the nice sensation of being really cared for. The only thing on the negative side I like to mention was the position of our table, in the quiet backroom of this otherwise lively restaurant. We looked forward being in the middle of this stunning restaurant with people around us celebrating and enjoying the evening. As we have been the only women dining alone without men, I hope was not the reason for the choice of table from the reception girl for us, as it took an unusual amount of time to be seated. As we had a reservation the table meant for us should have been already established. I would think in a first class restaurant this kind of discrimination could not happen. But we have been comforted about this initial frustration with everything the nice service people served us. The food is so divine! And we actually liked the
longer pauses between courses, so we could look even more forward to the next course.
And it turned out we also did not mind at the end with our table as we could more enjoy and concentrate on our lovely conversations. Hopefully we come back again on another special occasion.

• Visited August 2012
London, United Kingdom
“Cleopatra Today”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 23, 2012

Oh heavenly pleasures when a demanding palate is spoiled with fine foods and wines! No blushing here!! Every detail of the evening was as if pre-ordered! From arrival, being taken to our table, the first glass of vintage champaine, the dining experience of an 8 course Menu with pairing wines, the final schnapps of Quinces, and the love of my love across the table....Cleopatra would be envious!!

Professional and polite service (perfect English). SPLENDID! I want more of those!!

• Visited October 2012