“Great Options” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Bar scene, Dining on a budget
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Dessert, Late Night, Reservations
“Great Options”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2013

We always stay at the nearby Holiday Inn when we come to Munich on business and this place is conveniently across the street. Everything I've tried there has been delicious and it is a welcome break from the traditional German food after you've been in country for a few days. The concept is a bit different. You get a plastic card when you enter, then you can go to different stations and order food which is freshly prepared just for you or to the bar for a drink. The place can get very crowded, especially when there is a performance scheduled upstairs. I've had delicious pizza, but my favorite is the Shrimp & Asparagus Thai Basil stir-fry with spaghetti noodles. Great place to come with a group or alone.

• Visited October 2013
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere

Greenfield, Massachusetts
“Gast Just Didn't Do It for Me”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2013 via mobile

I guess I just don't like the concept...the self-service style eating was awkward to me and kind of a pain. We ate dinner here one night during our vacation in Munich. It was recommended by my brother-in-law who had taken a vacation in Munich in the past. I think the main draw of the restaurant for him may have been proximity because it is very near the Holiday Inn he was staying in.

Cooking was very slow and you waited in line until it was your turn to order and then you waited again until your food was cooked. I wanted to spend time with my husband and friend, but instead we all spent time in different lines. I thought the food was only so-so and nothing really special. I had a pasta dish with a vegetable and meat sauce, my husband had a pesto pasta dish and ordered a pizza, our friend ordered a pizza as well. It was just okay.

The cook-to-order aspect is nice. For instance, you can pick the type of pasta, sauce, and level of seasonings you want. The whole separate card issued for each person was not very relevant for us. We just put everything on one bill and one of us just pays. I can see it being important for people who want to eat together, but want separate bills.

I don't see myself returning here again if I am in Munich. The concept didn't appeal to me and the food was just average. Renovations were also taking place while we were eating dinner, which was quite odd. One station was completely closed and the other had plywood stacked up against part of the order area making it difficult to reach over and get your food once cooked. There were workers nailing and screwing things together while we were eating. It was strange and incovenient.

Visited August 2013
Berlin, Germany
“Wow, besser als Vapiano!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013 via mobile

This place is like vapiano group resturants all over the world. You're given a card and you can order what you want pizza, salad, pasta, desert or other stuff. The food is mixed of Italian and Asian and I love this kind of food. It has indoor and outdoor areas. Very modern very nice place. I'd recommend for anyone whom seek a good resturant. I loved it

• Visited August 2013
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Dublin
“Fun, relaxed & cozy with great food, wine & beer”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 18, 2013 via mobile

We stayed in the Novotel, ideal location for the centre & Gast...we eat here every evening...the pizzas are devine especially if you like a thin base..the calzones are great too...the pasta dishes are so fresh & tasty..my favourite being the cannelloni...also ate from the Asian counter too..if you like Thai food, definitely go here- the do a great curries..I would highly recommend this place..it's ideas for a casual evening or formal, it suits all...an added bonus is you get to watch your food being cooked..

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
Guildford Surrey
“Italian - Asian cooked to order restaurant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 26, 2013

This is an unusual restaurant concept, at least for me coming from London. When you go in you are given a card, an then go to different counters to order the food you want - this is charged to your card and you pay at the end. There is a good range of pastas and pizzas, and of stir fries - all prepared fresh to order.

The overall feel of the place is very modern with, wooden benches and tables, which may be reserved - and often are when there is a concert on at the nearby Gasteig.

I've eaten there several times and the food is good quality - I especially like the pizzas. My only complains would be they do not appear to sell salads as side orders, we I certianly couldn't find one, and it is a bit noisy. But overall it's a great informal venue with some lovely food at a decent price and such a wide range of cuisine there is something for everybody.

• Visited January 2013