“In a word, WONDERFUL” 5 of 5 stars

Good for: Doing business, Special occasions, Entertaining clients
chicago
“In a word, WONDERFUL”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2013

Even those of us who had visited the Dallmayr premises, which consists of a spectacular food hall/bakery/delicatessen/fish market and a great cafe and a wonderful oyster bar previously, did not realize that it also housed a world class restaurant. I knew there was a restaurant but didn't focus on it until searching the Michellin guide prior to our latest visit to Munich.

This led to a visit and one of the best meals we have ever eaten. Overall this restaurant rates way up there in our comparisons to high end meals in Paris, New York and elsewhere.

The premises themselves are formal. Service is flawless.

The menu consisted of two price fixed offerings but, you can choose between the two menus and you can order fewer courses than on the price fixed offerings. Portion sizes for the morsels are what one might expect but the "main course" item was actually quite a generous size. This is especially so since we had numerous amuse bouches. In fact, there were more extras than I have ever encountered in any restaurant. It is difficult to describe the highlights since everything was so good. I particularly liked the king prawn and a sole concoction with sea urchin and avacado Additionally, the deserts are spectacular.

Up to the time of eating here I would have said that molecular dishes with foams were trendy but often not worth the fanfare or, one taste was enough. Well, whatever chemistry chef Diethard Urbansky is toying with has converted me. A number of our all different choices might be considered molecular. Every bite had me wanting more.

As we had cocktails elsewhere prior to arriving at the restaurant we had a glass of champagne and a wine by the glass each. If there was on thing I would do differently I would have perused the cocktail and wine glass list before ordering the champagne.

Yes world class food is expensive but, except for the champagne prices, given the spectacular quality I feel the prices are justified.

• Visited August 2013

88% Recommend
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
Andover, Minnesota, United States
“Fantastic”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2013

Dallhmayr is easily one of the best places I have ever dined at. The food was incredible. Every course was a winner and the stream of "welcomes" or amuse bouches were equal to the planned courses as well as full of surprises. The service and attention to detail was second to none. I have eaten at fine restaurants around the world and I would put Chef Diethard Urbansky's fare against anything I have tasted anywhere. The wine pairings were spectacular and Sommelier Julien Morlat's descriptions were excellent. The meal was also perfectly paced. Overall a Fantastic dining experience! 5 Stars!! If you are in Munich don't miss Dallhmayr.

Surrey, UK
“Great treat!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2013

Clearly a 'place to be seen' in Munich. We really enjoyed our tea and cake. My husband particularly enjoyed his Apfelstrudel. It reminded me of Harrods or Betty's, a lovely experience.

• 4 of 5 stars Food
Oslo, Norway
“Great selection”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2013

Delicious cakes, bakery, gourmet foods, butcher, fish corner. Beautifully presented food. It is located just north of Marienplatz. Very easy to get to. Opposite is a park which is great if you want to take away food and go for a picnic!

Greenville, North Carolina
“Gourmet Picnic to Go or Eat Upstairs in the Restaurant”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2013

Gourmet quality foods and beverages to go or eat upstairs in the restaurant. You will not be disappointed.

Visited September 2013