“Excellent food service needs improvement” 4 of 5 stars

Cuisines: German
Good for: Entertaining clients, Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Peekskill, New York
“Excellent food service needs improvement”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 30, 2012

We ate in a couple of 3 stars in San Sebastian on this trip and I have to say that the Chef at Boettners came pretty close to those lofty heights. We had the Aktions Menu, well priced at € 65 including well chosen wines. Alas, as compared to our last visit the service dragged on and on with interminable intervals between the courses, we don't like speed dining but this was way to slow. May be the "patron" who was surveying the scene with his dog (well trained) from the bar should have rolled up his shirt sleeves and helped in the kitchen. Reluctantly I rated this very good instead of average because of the high food quality but please improve your service.

• Visited November 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Winter Park, Florida
“Fine dining experience”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2012

The service was exemplary. The food was good regional and international. There is nothing other than that to say other than the price was astronomical.
Sometimes I think I'm glad I went there but I wouldn't go again. I left too much money there to be glad I went.

Visited September 2012
Minneapolis Mn
“Rude service spoiled a special evening”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

Can a rude, impertinent waitress spoil an evening of fine dining? The answer is yes. It was my wife's birthday, and we were celebrating with friends from England who joined us in Munich. We selected Boettner’s restaurant because it was reported to have good atmosphere, food, and service. The atmosphere was lovely. The food was excellent with one major exception. The lobster in both the lobster cocktail and bisque, which should have been fresh and flakey, was chewy and rubbery.
In regard to the service, initially our waitress seemed a bit curt but we assumed she was just being overly organized. In preparation for the appetizers, the waitress handed my wife a salad/desert fork. My wife was disconcerted because she had ordered a lobster cocktail and was expecting a cocktail fork so she just placed the fork on the table without questioning the server. Immediately, the waitress said in a harsh voice “Left” Several moments of confusion followed and the waitress said “Left!” again in a louder voice. When my wife asked what she wanted, the waitress replied with the command, “Put the fork on the left side of the dinner fork!” My wife was embarrassed and offended by these instructions. In the past, she has taught etiquette classes and knows, full well, that silverware is placed on the table in order of usage.
The above incident, followed by further commands of “Madam, hand me your salad plate” and “Madam, hand me your small spoon,” put a damper on the evening for our party of four. It would seem, regardless of the circumstances, in any country, in any book of etiquette, rudeness is considered a far greater sin than a misplaced fork!
I have mixed feelings about rating the service as average. I would have given a lower rating except that one of the servers, a young woman, was very pleasant and friendly. To an extent, service is a matter of luck. If we had not had the rude waitress it would have been a pleasant evening.
On more mundane matters, Boettners is on a narrow side street just a five minute walk from Marienplatz, and not far from the famous Hofbraü Haus. The rubber (and expensive) lobster aside, our main dishes were excellent. Three of us had the Lamb Rücken and one the venison. Prices are high.
The date of our visit was September 6, 2012.

• Visited September 2012
    • 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 3 of 5 stars Food
Toronto, Canada
“Great lobster thermidor”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2012

A highly recommended quaint restaurant in the city centre, my son and I were greeted warmly. We were going to sit outside, but opted for the comfort of the more formal, indoor seating. My son ordered the pea soup, and we both had the lobster thermidor. The staff were friendly, and the service was good.The meal was a little pricey, but very delicious.
The table beside us ordered the fixed menu with the wine pairings. I may have prefered that, although the lobster really was quite amazing. Overall i would recommend this restaurant: it has a great atmosphere, and is in a wonderful location. The restaurant is small however, I would recommend making a reservation.

Visited July 2012
Scotland
“Excellent - fine dining in lovely interior”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

This is an old established silver service restaurant with a small outside & a nice inside terrace. It is surrounded by Mr Schuhbeck's empire but a first rate choice for delicious food, a very good wine list/Champagne, very professional staff and a calm, upmarket interior with tables well spread out to have privacy. We can very highly recommend this place.

Visited February 2012