“Delightful & delicious in every way” 5 of 5 stars

Special Rate
Summer Offer Inc Brkfst
Ranked #4 of 378 hotels in Munich
Tavistock, United Kingdom
“Delightful & delicious in every way”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 27, 2012

If one were to concoct a mental image of ones perfect city hotel - The Charles Hotel in Munich would surely fulfil the most discerning criteria and likely surpass it. Our room ( on the 7th floor ) had an enchanting view over the adjacent park and nearby churches, the beds & pillows were so comfortable it was akin to sleeping on a fluffy cloud and NOTHING we asked for - be that a birthday cake or anything else - was too much trouble for any of the unfailingly not merely polite, but equally friendly, staff. From reception to housekeeping to concierge, everyone was a laudable example of their profession.

We enjoyed several delicious, flawless dinners at the restauraunt ( featuring equally charming serving staff) and a few expertly mixed nightcap cocktails at the bar - dreamy.

I am actually trying to come up with some "flaw" to make this review sound less than a PR statement, but I honestly can't. I have no idea who runs this hotel....but whoever it is should be cloned and/or hold training seminars for other 5* hotel managers. Who could learn a LOT. Well done The Charles Hotel - we greatly appreciated your hospitality!

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

612 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (107)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

We stayed for 4 nights and didn't want to leave! If you are a tourist this is a fabulous hotel, not just for its location but all services and amenities it provides. Big Swimming pool, gym, day spa, great breakfast. Our room was gorgeous, large and spacious, the bed was divine! The best aspect of this hotel is..the staff! 5 star! They were all so warm and pleasant, greeting you by name. It is so rare these days to find a hotel that really does shine in its service. Thank you! We would recommend this hotel to everyone. It is a 2min walk from the main train station where many of the tours depart from

Room Tip: We had a deluxe room and loved it
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
edinburgh
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

Luxury from the moment you arrive, the staff were excellent as was the comfort of the room and the quality of the whole hotel. The only niggle we had was the cost of the internet at this price you expect to get that free of charge. Otherwise it was perfect.
The hotel is well situated on the edge of the city centre and is quiet as it is beside the botanical gardens park.
Highly recommend this hotel

Room Tip: worth asking to overlook the park
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled with friends
Direktionsbuero, Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, December 19, 2012
Dear guest,

Above all we would like to thank you for your great feedback and the time you took to share your impressions on tripadvisor.com.

It is great to hear that not only our spacious and modern rooms but also our excellent and individual service met your expectations. Due to the great location of The Charles Hotel our guests have the opportunity to explore the most beautiful city of Bavaria and its surroundings in a very comfortable way as it is only a short walk to the Munich Central Station. Furthermore you can take a break from everyday life and you can experience the harmony of simple luxury in the Old Botanical Garden.

We understand your wish to have free internet access, but currently we are working with a very good external company, which guarantees us a safe and quick internet and a 24 hours support for all our guests. Please be ensured that we are trying to find a solution for the future and in the meanwhile I really do hope for your understanding in this point.

It would be a pleasure to welcome you at The Charles Hotel in Munich soon again. If there is anything to make your next stay even more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact us personally at anytime (mun-executive@roccofortehotels.com).

Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

Obviously a five star hotel from the second you arrive. I had a couple of small issues that I will talk about before I get to the good stuff.

1. Internet is EUR 20 per day. There was no other option but this. At the price point for the hotel it should be included. (It was fast and reliable, however)
2. Breakfast.
I am not sure how to understand the breakfast. The buffet was small and the options limited. For example it was missing some obvious items like traditional Bavarian rolls (Semmel). Additionally, some of the bread was not fresh and this was at 9am. I really didn't want to complain about this as it is so fundamental to every other hotel experience I have had in Germany that I thought I just had a bad experience and would try again.
In the three times I had breakfast it was the same. Perhaps they want you to order from the kitchen and when I did it was delivered hot and fresh, but there was no one around to ask for more butter when it was not at the buffet or to ask about bread or cheese that were not there as well.
On the last day I went up to the buffet to get something fairly quickly, but when I returned my table was being cleared. I had to wait a while to get another coffee. Later, while drinking coffee and reading the newspaper, I was disturbed by a person asking to clear my table again. They took my silverware away. It was like they were giving me a big hint to leave.(at 9am?)
I found this so odd to be honest. I didn't want to make a scene, so I just left and went to a Cafe to read a newspaper and drink my coffee in peace.

Besides the bad breakfast stories and stingy internet, the hotel is great.. thus 4stars.
The room is very large, for any standards and I think I had the lowest level of room. The hotel clearly places an incredible value on service and it shows. My room was cleaned to perfection and amply stocked with products. The bathroom was enormous and well appointed. The bed was comfy and sleep quality superb. The TV had so many channels including numerous English and Arabic programming. The Spa was awesome with a great pool and sauna area and lots of extra towels of the appropriate size. The bartender was funny, engaging, knowledgeable, and quick to serve you exactly what you want. The check in was easy, quick, and there were no problems with billing.
So, I hope to go back and fix the small issues if possible.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Dear guest,

First of all we would like to thank you for your detailed feedback and the time you took to share your impressions on tripadvisor.com.

We are very delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property and that our spacious rooms met your expectations. We are very proud of our standard rooms - as they are due to their size of 43 m2 unique in Munich with the exceptional design of Ms. Olga Polizzi – the sister of Sir Rocco Forte. It is great to hear that you could enjoy some of our hotel facilities such as our 800 m² The Charles SPA with its 5 treatment rooms, sauna, steam bath, 15 meter pool and well-equipped gym as well as our THE BAR with all its exclusive and fine selected drinks.

Besides perfection, the main aim of our hotel is to ensure that our guests feel both, comfortable and familiar! From the moment you make your reservation to the time of your departure we will provide warm, courteous and cordial services. Therefore we deeply regret that you received such a negative first impression regarding our breakfast buffet and we would like to apologize for any caused inconveniences.

Usually we are very proud of the luxurious and broad variety at our breakfast buffet. During the week we offer our breakfast buffet until 10:30 am and on weekends our very special Late Riser Breakfast until 2pm. As we take every feedback very seriously we discussed these points within our team to clarify this unpleasant situation.

We understand your wish to have free internet access, but currently we are working with a very good external company, which guarantees us a safe and quick internet and a 24 hours support for all our guests. Please be ensured that we are trying to find a solution for the future and in the meanwhile I do hope for your understanding in this point.

Dear guest, we really hope to get the chance to welcome you at The Charles Hotel soon again and to offer you the courteous and excellent service The Charles Hotel is so well known for. If there is anything to make your next stay even more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact as personally at anytime (mun-executive@roccofortehotels.com).

Myrtle Beach, SC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 26, 2012

This a fantastic hotel! Stayed for few nights and was quite impressed. Rooms overlook a nice park. The property itself is beautiful, but the staff makes the stay. Everybody knows your name during your stay. They make you feel at home and try to do everything to satisfy your every need. The concierge team is the best. Munich is not known for upscale hotels but this is a great experience. Room was beautiful, tasteful, and immaculate. I cannot recommended this hotel enough. Quite pricey but worth the splurge. Enjoy!

Room Tip: Upper floor was nice with no noise.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and for highlighting our great and helpful staff. Your entire feedback makes us very proud and we shared your kind words immediately with our employees, which is much appreciated – especially our concierge team is more than delighted.

It is great to hear that you spent a fantastic time at our property. Part of our philosophy is to offer our guests one of the best possible and individual services and to make them feel at home from the first moment on. Therefore your feedback reflects exactly what we are working for!

We would like to thank you once again for your great review and would be very delighted to welcome you at The Charles Hotel soon again. If there is anything to make your next stay even more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact us personally at anytime
(mun-executive@roccofortehotels.com).

England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 25, 2012

I have just got back from a weekend stay in Munich and stayed for 1 night, what a hotel. The staff are fantastic and cannot help you enough, everyone is so attentive, polite,courteous and always have a smile and their faces. The location of this hotel is in a lovely quiet area overlooking a small park. It is close enough to the train station, shops or museums. The rooms are a good size with a lovely decor. The beds are so comfy with lovely soft pillows, but they have different varieties - you just have to ask. The bathrooms are so spacious with lovely soaps and body washes etc. I loved the bar area with the piano playing softly in the background, again bar staff very attentive. The restaurant was fantastic, food was delightful and staff again so good at their jobs, always watching to see if you need a refill with drinks etc, breakfast is plentiful and so much choice it sets you up for the day. Now to the spa area...... Wow it was so relaxing to lie on the very comfy beds with great soft and fluffy towels, the staff again are fantastic and cannot help you enough. The pool was delightful, very clean and warm. I absolutely loved the fact the you can wear you robe from your room and go straight down to the spa area without the lift stopping on any floor except the spa.!! Nice little touch. Also the lifts only work with your room card so you can only get up to the rooms with a keycard. Again nice touch. I just loved every minute of my stay at this hotel, I'm sure if yo get a good price you won't regret it.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled on business
Direktionsbuero, Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2012
Dear Guest,

Thank you a lot for your warm words and great feedback! Mr. Heller, our General Manager, shared it immediately with the entire team.

Our main aim is to offer all of our guests an individual and courteous service and to make them feel at home. Your feedback reflects exactly we are working for and it makes us very proud. From the first moment on, our guests should experience a very special stay where they are keeping in good mind.

All the little things are so important and it is great to hear that you felt totally satisfied. But if there is anything to make your next stay even more enjoyable, please feel free to contact us at anytime under mun-executive@roccofortehotels.com.

Once again, thank you very much and we hope to welcome you back soon!

With best wishes from snowing Munich,

Pretoria, South Africa
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2012

Would you like to rest in Munich? Would you like to enjoy contemporary designers' place? - This place is for you!!
I was amazed with interiors - usually you expect something not-for-real life from contemporary design; here its not!! Its close to main r\w station, 3 steps from historical ccenter...
I loved their spa, but not the fact its like in the underground!
Surprisingly staff doesnt have badges with their names on - i was explained its in the whole hotel chain (telling the truth i would prefer to name receptionist or waiter by name rather than "hey, dear lady...")

Nevethereless I would choose this hotel to stay in one more time!

Room Tip: choose room on the last floor - splendid view, spacious light accommodation
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you very much for your kind feedback on the online portal Tripadvisor and to allow other travellers a first insight into The Charles Hotel.

It is fantastic that you spent a really good time in Munich. Furthermore, we are delighted to hear that you loved our 800 m² The Charles SPA with its 5 treatment rooms, sauna, steam bath, 15 meter pool and well-equipped gym.

To have the amazing view over the Old Botanical Garden and the city of Munich, we recommend booking one of our Superior Deluxe Rooms.
Indeed, it is part of the Rocco Forte philosophy to offer all of our guests a cordial but also individual service while using our names to make each guest feel at home. We regret to hear that not all of our employees were able to introduce themselves and this fact caused you some inconvenience.

Thank you once again for your trust in Rocco Forte Hotels. The entire team is looking forward to welcoming you soon again in Munich.

Yours sincerely,

Personal Assistant to the General Manager

Been to The Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!