“A worthy member of the luxury hotels of the world” 5 of 5 stars

The Charles Hotel
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Sophienstrasse 28, 80333 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #2 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Sydney, Australia
“A worthy member of the luxury hotels of the world”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2012

I am a big fan of the "luxury hotels of the world" group of hotels (LHW) and always make an effort to stay at one of these hotels during my travels. The Charles hotel is by far the best value for money I've had staying at any of these hotels. It is very well priced but still offers all the extras and luxuries that you would expect from the LHW group.

The hotel is located minutes from the train station but is in a secluded area surrounded by a beautiful park which meant you get the convenience without the trashy surroundings generally evident near a central station. It is also of walking distance to old town and the shopping district.

The service is excellent (as you would expect from the LHW group), professional and friendly but not overbearing. For a relatively large hotel, they are still able to provide a intimate service where the staff remembers your breakfast preferences and address you by name.

The rooms are large by any standards (not just European), with marble bathrooms and a very comfortable bed. The breakfast is absolutely delicious and plentiful. I highly recommend their freshly cooked pancakes and waffles (on request), I had these everyday and never got sick of them!

I highly recommend this hotel when visiting Munich and will definitely stay here again for my next visit.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top floor overlooking the park. It is wonderful in the morning with the smell...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Direktionsbuero, Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, November 15, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful feedback and the time you took to share your impressions on tripadvisor.com.

We are more than delighted to hear that you enjoyed your stay so much and your review makes us very proud. Of course we shared your great feedback immediately with our employees, which is much appreciated.

“The simple art of luxury” that is our philosophy. Besides perfection, the main aim of our hotel is to ensure that our guests feel both, comfortable and familiar! From the moment you make your reservation to the time of your departure we will provide warm and courteous services. Therefore we provide the same attention to detail, exceptional levels of comfort and personal service for which the Rocco Forte Hotels has become so well known. We are so glad that not only our but also services our modern and spacious rooms were to your entire satisfaction.
It is great to hear that you had some time to enjoy the hotel facilities - like our luxurious breakfast buffet - as well as to discover Munich. Due to the great location of The Charles Hotel our guests have the opportunity to explore the most beautiful city of Bavaria and its shopping district in a very comfortable way as it is only a short walk to the Munich Central Station. On the other hand its idyllic situation in front of the Old Botanical Garden means peace and tranquillity, away from the city's bustle.

Dear guest, we are very delighted to hear that you will definitely stay at our property again. Therefore we are looking forward to welcome you back at The Charles Hotel in Munich. If there is anything to make your next stay even more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact us personally at anytime (mun-executive@roccofortehotels.com).

Personal Assistant to the General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (114)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
Chevy Chase, Maryland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 12, 2012

Pluses: excellent location, very comfortable and big rooms and bathrooms, excellent and attentive staff, almost immediate reaction to requests, very comfortable beds, very special attention to children (present toy, pencils, drawing book, small bathrobe and slippers). Minuses: extra charge for Internet, garage and extra bed (for a 8-year old child), neon light on the balcony which lights through the whole night.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your kind review and the time you took to share your impressions on tripadvisor.com.

We are very delighted to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our property. One of our main aims is to make you feel comfortable and familiar from the first moment on. Not only the great location – in front of the Old Botanical Garden and only a two minute walk to the Munich Central Station – but also our modern and spacious rooms make this comfort possible. In addition we set a high value on a discreet but also individual and cordial service. Therefore we would like to thank you for highlighting our excellent and attentive staff.

Part of our philosophy is that children are also VIP guests at The Charles Hotel. It is very important to us that even the youngest guests enjoy their stay at our property. Therefore we offer special amenities as well as our kids’ club on Sundays and holidays.
With regards to the extra charges, we would kindly like to inform you that we only want to charge our guests for the services they really make us of.

We would be delighted to welcome you and your family at The Charles Hotel soon again. If there is anything to make your next stay even more enjoyable please do not hesitate to contact us personally at anytime (mun-executive@roccofortehotels.com).

5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012 via mobile

This was my first stay at this hotel but it won't be my last. I initially chose it based on location to the main railway station but also considered other reviews. I can honestly say this was one of the most enjoyable hotels I have stayed in for some time. My room was very comfortable but it's the little touched that count. The doorman, who on asking my plans for the day (walking around Starnberg See) offered to give me the name of some good value places to eat along the way. The room service ladies who actually appeared to enjoy bringing meal trolley not my room. Wait staff in the restaurant who remembered my name. And the food in the restaurant was wonderful (and I eat in a lot of hotels). A check in lady who took me to my room to show me the features. If this sounds like I was treated as someone special, I was and whilst I travel over 100 hotel nights a year on business, I booked this on line personally weeks in advance so I was literally just another person. If staff make a great hotel even better, this crew are "the icing on the cake". I can't fault it and whilst your experience may be different! I have no hesitation in suggesting you should stay here. I have not stayed at any sister properties but will now seek them out; a high benchmark has been set for them from Munich. And the staff speak excellent English......

Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review and the time you took to share your impressions on tripadvisor.com. Your feedback makes us very proud!

It is great to hear that your first stay at our property was to your entire satisfaction and that we made you feel like a very special person. Thank you as well for your personal remark “this crew is the icing on the cake”! Of course we forwarded your wonderful words immediately to our employees, which are much appreciated. Besides perfection our main aim is to offer our guests one of the best possible, individual and also cordial services.

We are very delighted to hear that you plan to visit one of our sister properties and we are looking forward to welcome you back at The Charles Hotel in Munich soon again. If there is anything to make your next stay even more enjoyable please do not hesitate to contact us personally at anytime (mun-executive@roccofortehotels.com).

Israel
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 10, 2012

We chose to stay at The Charles for the last three nights of our family's summer vacation. Having read the good reviews on tripadvisor I thought this could be the right balance between luxury and price. I was not disappointed.
From first check-in, the service and ambience were impeccable. Absolutely equal to the best luxury jotels worldwide.
As we are a family with 3 small children, we requested two connecting rooms (one junior suite and one deluxe room). We were given two adjoining rooms connected through a joint corridor, which were blocked from the rest of the floor by a large door, thus creating our own small luxury apartment. Each of the two rooms was very large, beautifully decorated and furnished, with the understated luxury style we had hoped. Large well equipped bathrooms , with large separate shower stalls were a treat. All in all - even better than we had hoped for.

Breakfast was fabulous, better than any other German hotel I've been to and equal to the best I've eaten worldwide. We also ordered room service from the hotel restaurant on two separate occasions. The food arrived quickly and was absolutely delicious, easily top restaurant quality.

I also swam at the hotel's beautiful large indoor pool with one of my boys. Although the hotel states that children are only allowed to swim at certain hours, I was also told that if the boy is quiet, no one will mind if he stays more.

The only aspect which was not totally perfect is location, which is somewhat a mixed bag. On the one hand, the hotel is very close (less than 10 minutes walk) from the old city. Perfect for sightseeing. Our rooms also overlooked the botanical gardens, so were very quiet. On the other hand, walking in the other direction is a less favourable experience, as the area is primarily commercial and you can encounter seedy characters at night (we did).

All in all - a perfect end to a great vacation, and a highly recommended alternative to the higher priced luxury deluxe hotels in Munich, which (in my opinion) provide less value for money.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Dear guest,

We would like to thank you for your great feedback and the time you took to share your impressions on tripadvisor.com.

We are very delighted to hear that you and your family enjoyed your first stay at our property so much. Your personal remark “all in all - even better than we had hoped for” makes us very proud. It is great to hear that our “the art of simple luxury” did meet your expectations. That is exactly what The Charles Hotel represents. We put emphasis on valuable, unique materials, decoration, furniture and amenities as well as on a discreet and cordial service but not in a palatial way.

We are very pleased that you enjoyed the luxurious and broad variety of our breakfast buffet as well as the fine selection of Mediterranean food we are offering in our restaurant. It is also great to hear that you spend a fantastic time in our 800 m2 spa area.

Another big advantage of The Charles Hotel is its great location. On the one hand The Charles Hotel is situated in front of the Old Botanical Garden so that you can enjoy peace and tranquillity, away from the city's bustle. On the other hand it is only a short walk to the Munich Central Station. Therefore our guest can discover Munich and its beautiful surroundings in a very comfortable way.

Orange County, CA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 6, 2012

This was our second visit to The Charles Hotel and we were thrilled to have another positive experience. On our first visit in 2010, our BMW travel agent recommended the hotel and it exceeded our expectations. We loved Munich so much that we decided to return with our college aged son who was studying abroad in Italy. We planned our trip to Oktoberfest and knew that the Charles Hotel would be the perfect hotel in the perfect location . It is centrally located but far enough away from the high energy of Oktoberfest. Our rooms were very well appointed with lovely views. The breakfast buffet has always been one of our favorites throughout our travels. The staff was always very polite and accommodating. The bar in the evening was a fun place to relax after a busy day at Oktoberfest.
We are looking forward to our next trip to Munich and the Charles Hotel!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with family
Direktionsbuero, Manager at The Charles Hotel, responded to this review, November 12, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your wonderful review and the time you took to share your impressions on tripadvisor.com.

It is fantastic to hear that you enjoyed your stay at our property during the Oktoberfest. Due to the great location of The Charles Hotel our guests have the opportunity to explore the most beautiful city of Bavaria in a very comfortable way as it is only a short walk to the Munich Central Station. On the other hand its idyllic situation in front of the Old Botanical Garden means peace and tranquillity, away from the city's bustle.

We are very pleased to hear that had the time to enjoy our luxurious breakfast buffet as well as some refreshing and exclusive drinks at our THE BAR. Your remark regarding our very polite and accommodating staff makes us very proud. It is our pleasure to go “the extra mile” for our guests and your wonderful feedback is much appreciated.

We are looking forward to welcome you at The Charles Hotel in Munich soon again. If there is anything to make your next stay even more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact us personally at anytime (mun-executive@roccofortehotels.com).

Scottsdale, Arizona
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

In the heart of Munich lays this very beautiful and sophisticated hotel. Rooms are large and comfortable, beds are for a great sleep, bathroom is very well appointed and has great light (my wife was very thrilled about this) Staff is very, very helpful and friendly, I think that "NO" is not in their vocabulary. Berlin is a big city but this hotel is fairly close to all attraction. There's a bad thing I can say abut this hotel just that there are very few hotels with this kind of service and professionalism.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Above all we would like to thank you for your great feedback and the time you took to share your impressions on tripadvisor.com.

It is great to hear that not only the location of the hotel and our very spacious rooms but also our individual and cordial service met your expectations. Therefore your remark regarding our very helpful and friendly staff makes us very proud. Of course we shared your feedback immediately with our employees, which is much appreciated.

We would be very delighted to welcome you and your wife at The Charles Hotel soon again. If there is anything to make your next stay even more enjoyable, please do not hesitate to contact us personally at anytime (mun-executive@roccofortehotels.com).

Madera, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

The Charles is a great hotel and you pay for it. I stayed here two years ago and had a gorgeous room overlooking the park and some great looking buildings off to the left of the hotel. This time I booked a room and was put on the street side and it was very noisy. I complained and was upgraded, for a price, to a room looking directly at a tree. The rooms are all nice. the spa is super, the staff is great......but for me the expense is not worth it.

Room Tip: Choose rooms on the right side(looking out) of the hotel with good views of the park. the 3,4, 5 flo...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for your review and the time you took to share your impressions on tripadvisor.com.

It is great to hear that you had a pleasant stay at our property. Especially your remark regarding our great staff makes us very proud and we are pleased that you had the time to enjoy our 800 m2 SPA.

Our Deluxe Rooms with a view over the Old Botanical Garden are really in demand and I apologize that you were disappointed at your recent stay. It would be a great pleasure to show you some of our different room categories e.g. with a fantastic panoramic view over the Old Botanical Garden – and of course the city of Munich at your next stay.

We would be very delighted to welcome you at The Charles Hotel in Munich soon again.

Personal Assistant to the General Manager

Been to The Charles Hotel? Share your experiences!