“Nice stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #271 of 380 Hotels in Munich
London
“Nice stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 20, 2011

Comfortable beds, clean room, friendly, efficient staff speaking excellent English, good cold buffet breakfast and somewhere to stash your bags after check-out - you can't ask for much more from a budget hotel.

The location is excellent, 2 blocks walk from both Hbf and Sendlinger Tor and it's about 1km from the top of the Oktoberfest gardens. Yes, the area is a bit seedy but it's not threatening, not unless you panic when you're surrounded by Turkish people going about their everyday lives. Most of the cheap hotels in Munich seem to be in these few blocks south of Hbf so, if you need a "nice" area, go elsewhere and pay more.

I have marked the hotel down slightly as the wifi internet is not 6 euros for 24 hours, as we were told at reception and as is stated on the hotel website, but 6 euros for 1 hour, which is very expensive. It was 50% cheaper in the Novotel out by Messe! Also there were no English channels on the television, despite what the hotel information sheet said. And the breakfast room was a bit too small for the number of people staying.

Overall, I'd give this place seven out of ten; I've chosen 4/5 for this Tripadvisor review as I think 3/5 would be unfair.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Gastonia, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 19, 2011

I recently stayed 4 nights at the Hotel Andi with my partner. Being a travel agent we are very well traveled. This was our fourth visit to Munich and the first time staying at this hotel. We found it to be a very good value. The rooms were clean and sufficient. The location, just 2 blocks from the train station and a short walk to any metro was excellent. The neighborhood itself may seem somewhat seedy to many, but we never felt uncomfortable or unsafe.
The breakfast was good and sufficient. There is also a very nice cafe directly next door to the hotel.
If you are planning a visit to Munich and are looking for reasonably priced lodging I would have no problem recommending this hotel.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled on business
Strongsville, Ohio
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

We selected this hotel from a list with our airline vacation package. I also read the Trip advisor review and took the various comments into consideration. This trip was a vacation for my husband and me. We booked for 6 nights. We enjoy having access to public transportation and it is very convenient to the Hauptbahnhof and U and S bahns. A few minutes walking distance to the train station and certainly walkable with luggage.

We come to Europe expecting typical smaller European rooms and not a 5 star experience. We do not spend time in the hotel, we get out and see the city. We did arrive with a car and unfortunately it was dark on arrival. I was hoping when we turned a corner we would be in a more attractive neighborhood. If you read other comments on this hotel, you will understand. I was not pleased with the room, although spacious. The manager on duty changed out all the linens for us (yes, i did check and was pleased NOT to find any critters). She was helpful and did not make us feel like we were being difficult. She took care of it promptly. the room had a desk area and a mini-fridge, a pants presser, a large closet and a smaller but adequate bathroom with shower.

The next morning in daylight, it looked better. The room and bathroom were clean, the rug is a due for a change out. I had considered moving but we decided to stay. The stay was fine and the beds were very comfortable. I read in one of my trusted tour books that while the area can look a bit concerning, if you don't bother anyone, no one will bother you. That was in fact the case. We walked back and forth morning and night and had no incidents or concerns.

Since we had a car for a few days, we reserved parking in advance. It is a must! there is literally no place to park on the street and construction is all over the streets as well. The parking is behind the hotel and it is gated. Spaces are few and tight. There is a fee but it was well worth it to have a safe place to put the rental car.

There is a new owner and I believe she is really trying make a difference. However, she will not be able to change the location. Breakfast was good and plentiful. Pots of coffee are brought to each table and there is an espresso machine as well.

Overall, the detractor was the neighborhood BUT it was reasonably priced, clean, convenient and safe. There were a number of business folks staying here and other airlines had vacation customers here as well. If I were traveling solo, I would seriously have to reconsider even though I am an experienced traveler. A bit of a disappointment overall.

Room Tip: reserve parking in advance if you need it.
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
toronto
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2011

We just came back from our 2 week introduction to Europe trip. We stayed at The Comfort Inn for 3 nights.

The location was pretty convenient. We walked with our luggage in tow from the train station and it took about 5 minutes. The actual area did seem a littlebit sketchy as there were alot of casinos and strip clubs around. Nothing happened though but I did feel uncomfortable. In the area are many middle eastern eateries and also grocery stores which is good. The train station is not far away too so we walked there alot to grab a bite to eat since they offered a wide variety of food for really great prices.

Just be prepared that Germany is not big on air conditioning so our room was really stuffy. At night, we opened the windows and we would get a good breeze and it did cool down considerably. Our room faced the back of the hotel and it was really quiet.
The breakfast that is included with the hotel is quite impressive with a selection of cold cuts, cheeses, breads, yogurt and juices. Also served is coffee, expresso and tea. This was my favourite part of the stay.

I definitely would recommend this hotel. The staff was friendly as well and the room was always cleaned.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Edmond, Oklahoma
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2011

To begin this hotel is in a very shady area, where I felt a bit uncomfortable walking around during the day and certainly wouldn’t do so at night. The neighborhood is mostly inhabited by immigrants, and cheap strip clubs and trashy casinos line the streets. The hotel has obviously been here for a while and most likely renovated a several years ago. By renovated I mean slip covers put over chairs, and the furniture replaced by cheap sub-ikea quality particle board and plastic furniture. The bed was comfortable and blanket seemed clean, so that was nice. There is no iron, only some sort of pants-pressing contraption. The “safe” is just really a box fridge combo that just happens to lock. This brings me to the fridge, first off it was not turned on, and therefore worthless, secondly it smelled horribly of mold! The bathroom was alright, the shower and sink both have a prefilled soap dispensers that both are filled with the same soap-shampoo-body wash combo. The towels were thin and ratty, serious need of replacement. The hair dryer was so archaic that it took me a minute to recognize what it was. Lastly, and probably the most egregious thing was that there is no free wifi, okay I get it that internet isn’t as standard a feature as in the US, but it’s not even affordable at this hotel, 8 euro for 30 minutes! – You’ve gotta be kidding me. The close proximity to the Hauptbahnof is irrelevant, I’d recommend sleeping just about anywhere else.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2011

We stayed at Andi hotel for seven nights. It's a hotel near the Hauptbahnhof. The room had a sloppy carpet and an old refrigerator but the bathroom was recently renovated. The only thing we lacked in the room was a safe. The walls between the rooms were fairly thin. The best thing with the hotel was the breakfast, particularly appreciated was the fresh berries. The coffe wasn't that good but who's going to Munich to drink coffe.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Skokie, Ilinois
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 9, 2011

We stayed at the Hotel Andi for two nights in mid December, on a vacation to Munich. Just out the front door and down the sidewalk, in 10 minutes you will find yourself in the Marienplatz, the very heart of Munich. We could easily navigate on foot to many of the main attractions in Munich. Michael, at the front desk was exceedingly helpful with providing directions and general information. The neighborhood where the hotel is located seemed safe and quiet. Our room was small, clean and comfortable. As an American traveling in Europe I have learned to adjust my expectation regarding room size, especially when I am staying in an historic city. I prefer location. The breakfast was wonderful. Considering the cost of hotel rooms in Munich, I think this hotel is a wonderful value, not to mention a great place to stay!

• Stayed December 2010, traveled as a couple

Been to Comfort Hotel Andi Munich City Center? Share your experiences!