“very disappointed” 1 of 5 stars

Ranked #335 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Cranford, New Jersey
“very disappointed”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 6, 2012

We stayed in a room with two single beds and a daybed. Even though the hotel was quaint and the staff friendly, we found bed bugs in the daybed after the first night which should have been obvious to the cleaning staff as there was one squished on the wall and were visible under the pillow. They were very accommodating to move us to a different room but after thoroughly investigating the day bed in the new room found larvae and bugs between the mattresses of the daybed in the new room as well. Hopefully they will address the problem with a professional exterminator but I would not take the chance and ever stay there again.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
  • Turkish first
New Leipzig, North Dakota, United States
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

Terrible experience at this Hotel. Both nights we were there, someone was speaking Turkish very loudly in courtyard behind Hotel and later could hear them inside. Second night only got 2 hours of sleep. Breakfast served was Fair - had an eggshell in my eggs and lost my appetite. Would not recommend this Hotel to anyone staying in Munich. From the USA

Room Tip: I would not recommend this place to anyone. I was very disatisfied and angry for having to pay for...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Yorkshire UK
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 22, 2012

Stayed for 5 nights in a triple room. Was generally quite disappointed with the hotel. Location is 5 mins from the train station so its easy to find but is surrounded by betting shops, late night cafes and sex shops which always seems to have groups of men outside. Didn't concern me as we were a group of 3 men staying but would not recommend for single women and groups of women as it could be quite intimidating. Having said this a lot of the hotels in Munich seem to be situated here.

No lifts in the hotel so be prepared for lots of trips up and down stairs. Room was poor, handles on bathroom door was loose which led to all 3 of us getting locked in at some point during our stay. Also shower terrible. Had no water at all in sink, shower or toilet for 24 hours then when it did come back on was cold for 2 days before we finally had some warm water the day before we left.

Redeeming feature was the breakfast. Very good continental breakfast with good selection. Overall I'm sure there are better places in Munich to stay for the same budget.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends
California
2 of 5 stars Reviewed June 17, 2012

Location is good with respect to being quite near the central train station. However, quite near the hotel on the street was a topless bar, a place called like erotic something, and Sexyland. There also was a some sorta of betting place down the street. So I wasn't pleased with the location. I also didn't like with the hotel itself. It terms of cleanliness it was fine. But the bed was truly the hardest mattress I have ever slept on. Also the hotel walls are thin so it is not a quiet place to stay for rest. The hotel also has a staircase only so it is not luggage friendly. It seemed to me that all rooms required going up a set of stairs. Though I was only there for 1 night so I didn't orientate myself to the hotel itself. Maybe there are ground floor available.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled solo
ramsgate
4 of 5 stars Reviewed May 25, 2012

Spent one night in Munich for the Champions league final. The hotel was friendly and helpful. The rooms basic but clean. The hotel owners were brilliant when we found we couldn't get to the ground on time. They pulled out all the stops and got us a lift. Thanks

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 18, 2012

Had a double room,very clean,great location.No elevator,front desk friendly.All sorts of fruit&vegetable stands grocery stores right across the street and on same side.3 minute walk to train station,and easy walk to Marienplatz,shopping....sights.Wonderful breakfast,internet did not work in the room while we were there.They tried to fix to no avail.
Recommend to stay if you don`t need all the bells and whistles.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
Williamsburg, Virginia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 14, 2012

We stayed here 5 nights and I would gladly come back again. We had a room in the back overlooking the well-maintained garden, which was generally quiet. Breakfast (included) was great... I felt more like I was in a B&B than in a traditional hotel.

The hotel is in a middle-eastern neighborhood just due west of Marienplatz, which is a very easy walk from the hotel. The hotel itself is run by a Turkish family, and the evidence of that is everywhere. I found that really appealing. The staff were extremely helpful with me and my inept attempts to figure out where to park, etc. Most speak English very well (a lot better than my German or Turkish), and if they can't get you and answer they will find it.

The accommodations and service are a very good deal for the price. If you're looking for "comfortably western" this may not be your piece of cake. But if you want a good room, great location, and friendly, generous, hospitable staff, it's great. If I get back to Munich next year, this will be the first place I look for a reservation.

çok güzel! (very nice!)

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Goethe Hotel? Share your experiences!