“Perfectly situated” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Dolomit

You added Hotel Dolomit to your Saves list
Hotel Dolomit
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Goethestrasse 11 | 80336 Munchen, 80336 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Offers & Announcements
Package Deal
Ranked #228 of 385 Hotels in Munich
York, United Kingdom
“Perfectly situated”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 24, 2012

Just a 5 minute walk from the central train station. Quiet street at night. Reception is open 24 hours and the staff friendly (they also speak better English than I speak German). The room was clean and towels changed daily. As much as you can eat 'cold' breakfast - typically german with cold meats, cheese, cereal, fruit and bread. Not bad value @ 10 euros each, but we found the choice of eateries at the station better value, plus you can get hot food, which was needed given the amount of snow falling at the time :o)

Room Tip: We were a group of 3 couples all on different floors, but if the stairs are too much there are lifts...
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Dolomit, responded to this review, January 10, 2013
Dear motorbikechick,
that sounds like a lovely winter holiday. We hope you had a great stay at the christmas market and you did lots of trips in and around Munich. We look forward to your next stay in our hotel.
Hotel Dolomit Team

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Turkish first
London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012 via mobile

Booked this hotel due to its close proximity to Munich Hauptbahnhof (literally a couple of minutes from the right hand exit of the station) as I had an early morning train to Paris to catch.
After reading the reviews I wasn't expecting much from the room, but it turned out the worst thing about this hotel was the service given by the staff.
I arrived at the hotel just after lunch at about 12.30, and the greeting I received from the stern older lady behind the check in desk was an austere 'you are FAR to early for check-in' with a look on her face and a surprised tone that suggested that no one before me had dared to check in at such an hour before (I repeat - this was half twelve). She went on to tell me rather bluntly that check in was at 2pm and looked annoyed that I was standing in the foyer with my luggage. I said I'd come back and she did offer me the facility to store my luggage in a secure room.
I don't mind the hotel's 2pm check in, but the way the older woman looked so stunned that I'd turned up early really annoyed me. There was no customer service or greeting, or even a 'how was your journey, welcome to our hotel'. Just a bizarre look on her face .... I would have got better service from the drunk tramp sitting outside the hotel I think.
So I walked around the city (in the rain) for a while and returned to the hotel at 1.55pm (remember, check in is at 2pm) - this time a younger girl was behind the check in desk.
I said hello and that I was here to check in. She looked at me blankly and said 'check in is at 2' - I said I know that as I had been earlier and had wasted time until 2. She sarcastically looked at the clock and said that the rooms are not ready yet and that it's not 2 yet. I said I'd wait for mine to be finished - she rolled her eyes and said it may be up to 20 minutes. (Later than 2 then).
In the end I ended up waiting until 2.30 to check in, while the girl spent time chatting to various friends and colleagues that visited, and even checked in another group of guests (their room it appeared, was clean). She informed me that I would get an upgrade due to the delay, but I'm not sure what constituted an upgrade (perhaps it was the hair dryer?).
Not a major problem you might think, but I only had 1 day in Munich and this delay ate into my time. Plus the complete lack of customer service really frustrates me. Things happen, the hotel may have had problems with the room cleaning that day, which I would be fine about if that was explained in a polite and professional manner instead of being made to feel like I was an annoyance and that I had no right to be waiting for a room I had already paid for.
I don't understand how businesses can be run with this pitifully low level of customer care and service.
As for the room - it was okay, but as I had had to wait for it to be cleaned for so long, I would have expected it to actually be clean- there were long black hairs on the wall and floor of the shower - wow they did a great job with that clean.

The only positive this hotel has is its location.
They clearly don't have a duty manager running the cleaning schedule or any form of customer service training. This is a 2 star, but that is no excuse for poor service and lateness.

• Stayed December 2012
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Dolomit, responded to this review, December 25, 2012
Dear Horizonx30,
thank you very much for your rating. We want to apologise for the problems with the check in. Nevertheless, we hope you had a good day in Munich. It would be nice if we were to have you back as our guest in our hotel at your next time in Munich!
Birmingham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2012

This hotel was very standard, fairly small but nice and local. It was less than 5 minutes from one of the main stations in Munich and less than 15 minutes walk to the main centre.

We got there before check in, but they let us leave our baggage in a locked room which was very handy. Our hotel room was simple. We was on the top floor, and the only downside of the room was that the ceiling was slanted due to the roof. The room was a nice size, we had a TV and desk. The bed was very comfortable and we had a duvet each which was nice as it was very cold in Munich. There was heating that seemed to come on at the right times, when we came back for a nap, late a night for bed, and in the morning. The bathroom was small, and the colour scheme was a bit off-putting but not bad. The shower was lovely and hot and there was a hair dryer stored in the wardrobe. The wardrobe had a lock on it with the key on the side. We used this to store our bags and valuables in while we went out.

As some of the other reviews stated, there is a few sex shops and strip bars around the area but that didnt bother us. It seemed aa safe enough area, but probably not for families or those with young children. There was a fair few beggers on the streets which was a bit off putting and there is a lot of kebab shops.

Overall the hotel was very nice, we bumped our heads on our ceiling a few times, but other than that a decent hotel and a decent room, especially for its price.

Room Tip: Ok, as close to main centre, however not for families/those with children!
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Amy,
thank you very much for your rating! That sounds like a great stay in Munich. We would be delighted to welcome you in our house again for your next time in Munich!
Cincinnati, Ohio
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

I would concur with other reviewers that this hotel provides a very favorable combination of value for money and a great location for travelers seeking a central location. My friends selected this hotel as our plans involved a weekend stay in Munich to enjoy the Christmas Markets. Although I was not actively involved in the hotel selection process on this occasion, I would recommend this hotel to my friends that are seeking a basic hotel accommodation at a fair price.

For starters, the location is excellent as the hotel is all of a three minute walk from the south exit of the Hauptbahnhof. I found the neighborhood to be safe at all hours and just for the sake of disclosure I was not the least bit bothered by the erotic strip club/shop a few doors down from the hotel. Marienplatz was about a 20 minute walk although that estimate could go up depending on how much "window shopping" in Aldstadt one wants to partake in.

My room was a single and it was quite basic, yet it was comfortable and cozy all the same. The bathroom was one of the of those prefabricated one piece units. For a single traveler the arrangement worked fine with small exception of the the shower head which was set a bit low for my liking. The water temperature was spot on and so was the water pressure.

The room itself was small. For someone with a heap of bags, there could be capacity issues but in my case with a single rolling bag the space was sufficient. The bed and comforter was really comfortable too (not a Westin Heavenly bed mind you..but recognize the price/star rating). To create out some extra power outlets, I removed the plug for the flat screen TV and that gave me a total of 3 outlets including the bathroom I used for charging devices. The hotel does charge for internet, yet I found the price of around $4E daily to be quite reasonable and the speed of the internet was also quite good. There is a small desk which is fine for a laptop but for someone in town on business or trying to accomplish work task, the space would be tight. But in the end, this is hotel for leisure travelers who will spend most of their day outside of the room.

The hotel property itself is well maintained and appealing though of course basic. I didn't have much interaction with the hotel staff, but the check-in was easy and quick. There are two elevators as well as spacious (and well lit) staircase/atrium that leads to the guest rooms.

I did not have a chance to use the hotel restaurant, but there are so many eating options at/around the train station that one will never want for any food choice at any hour. Nor did I have a chance to use the TV in the hotel room. I simply was too busy enjoying Munich and the surrounding areas to be bothered. I will say the heating in the room was fantastic. The radiator was easy to control.

When I'm in town again I will definitely strongly consider staying here again. The hotel is definitely in the high end of it's star rating. For busy travelers that are not in need of a hotel with frills or extra services but who value a secure, clean, orderly property should ought to give the Hotel Dolomit a look. I was happy I did.

Room Tip: I stayed on the 6th floor and I was fond of the height off the street.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled solo
Dear RegionalRoadie,
thank you very much for your rating. That sounds like a great time in Munich! We would be delighted to welcome you in our house in Munich again for your next stay!
Clutton
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 15, 2012

This small hotel is moments from the train station and within easy walking distance of the old town, about 12 minutes. It was very clean and our room was newly renovated. Soaps, etc were there, and a hairdryer, not always the case with a 2 star hotel. The sister hotel, the best western is just round the corner and seems to share some meeting rooms, not quite sure how that works, but when we asked if there was a bar nearby the reception directed us there, and a very nice cocktail bar it was too.

Room Tip: ask for a newly refurbished room
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear Pammie56,
thank you very much for your rating! We hope you had an amazing time in Munich! We would be delighted to welcome you in our house again for your next stay!
North Yorkshire, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 4, 2012

As other recent reviews, this hotel offers excellent value for money - I paid 150 Euros for a double room for 2 nights. Rooms were modern & seemed to have been recently renovated, functional & with everything you'd need for a short break when you'd expect to be out most of the time. We didn't have much interaction with the staff, burt when we did they were all polite & professional. We arrived before check-in time & our flight was late in the evening, on both occasions staff were happy to store our luggage for us.
Excellent location, 2 mins walk from Haupbahhopf & 10 mins walk (or 2 stops) to Marienplatz. Anyone who reckons that the area surrounding the hotel in overly dodgy wither hasn't lived in a big city or needs to get out more! Sure there are a couple of strip bars/sex shops in the area, but it's hardly the ghetto. I was walking around at all times of the night & never felt threatened.
Can't comment on breakfast as there are plenty of other placesin the vicinity where we ate cheaper.
If you're using public transport to get around we found a ticket at just under 17 Euros which allowed up to 5 adults & a couple of kids unlimited travel for the day in the Munich area (single from airport to central station is usually around 10 Euros on its own)

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends
MartinaKube, Online Marketing at Hotel Dolomit, responded to this review, December 10, 2012
Dear Martin,
thank you for your rating! We are glad that you had such a great time in Munich and in our house. It would be nice if we were to have you back as our guest in our hotel soon!
NZ
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 2, 2012

We stayed here for one night on our Expat Explore tour.

We stayed on the 4th floor which was the non-smoking floor. The room looked like it was newly renovated and it was very clean, tidy and everything looked new and well maintained. There were many power points available. There is also a hair dryer available.

The bed was also very nice and comfortable.

The only downside is that the room was not well insulated and you can hear traffic from the road and although it wasn't too noisy it might be a problem if you are a light sleeper.

For a two star hotel, it was certainly much nicer than most of the 3 star hotels we had stayed in.

Location wise, there is a train station just outside and about a 20 minute walk to town. There are a couple of sex shops next to the hotel but we didn't see any shady characters around. It felt quite safe.

The reception room is quite small and staff was not very helpful but you shouldn't need to utilise their services much.

Breakfast was on the first floor and the restaurant had a clean pleasant decor. Standard cereal, bread, cheese, cold cut meats and hard boiled eggs. There is a man who does the coffee and makes sure the guests are well looked after. Very friendly and helpful. Lovely.

Overall, extremely good standard for a two star hotel. Highly recommended, you'd be pleasantly surprised.

Room Tip: The non-smoking rooms look to be recently renovated.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Dear T5555,
thank you very much for your rating! That sounds like a very good time in Munich. We want to apologise for the noise outside. It would be nice if we were to have you back as our guest in our hotel soon!
Yours sincerely, Hotel Dolomit Team

Been to Hotel Dolomit? Share your experiences!