“amazing small museum” 5 of 5 stars

Type: Art Galleries, Shopping
25 attraction reviews
“amazing small museum”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 14, 2014

the private collection of German art 19th century, very interesting and not so often to see in other museums. the museum's stuff is very polite and helpful! the collection is presented only on two stores, is very compact and has good splendid areas. every picture has own comments in german and English. 1 hour is good enough for visit. the museum is part of Pinakotheken, so is only 1 Euro on Sunday, other days 4 Euro.

Visited May 2014

Los Angeles
37 attraction reviews
“A hidden gem”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 25, 2013

My grandfather used to copy famous painter and the one I was looking for a long time is exhibited in the Schack Gallery in Munich - Moritz von Schwind. Even with a MA in Art History I hadn't have heard about this almost forgotten painter who preferred to paint fairy tale like paintings. Some may call it trash but I loved this exquisit paintings very much. The museum itself just shows the collection of its previous donor Schack which is still quite expressive. The collection is well worth seeing and just big enough on two levels but not too big so you would get tired without seeing all there is. The stuff wasn't bothering at all - actually they told us about the second floor. without them we probably would have missed it. The two hidden pictures we could open to see by ourselves, they didn't assist us and so we had as much time as we needed to admire them. If you go sundays you just pay 1Euro entry. The place was not busy at all so we could enjoy it very much.

Visited May 2013
San Francisco Bay Area
7 attraction reviews
“A "unique" art experience in Munich”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2013

I confess, my husband and I like bad art. No, we actually adore it. As far as bad 19th Century art is concerned, a trip to the Schack-Galerie is like a pilgrimage to Mecca; you simply must make the journey at least once in a lifetime.

Everything about the Schack-Galerie is slightly off-center in a surreal sort of way. From the dead silence save for the ticking, gurgling, humming, and occasional spas
tic outbursts of the dehumidifiers, to the near-paranoid security staff who follow you from room to room, you might be in an old episode of The Twilight Zone. Wall after wall is covered with some of the most delicious examples of bad 19th Century paintings. But two are so "special", that they must be kept behind heavy velvet drapes. When you enter their rooms, the wonderfully creepy attendant silently glides over to it and, when he ascertains you are in the proper position, ceremoniously draws the curtain for you to glimpse a view. Ah, but not for long, as when the attendant determines that you have seen it long enough, the curtain is then whisked shut. For the life of me, I cannot figure out why these paintings were singled out.

On the day of our visit initially we were the only two visitors. Only after awhile were we joined by a young couple. I don't know which of us had more difficulty keeping from snickering.

My favorite painting? That's easy; it was a little number with the charming title that translates into English, "The Hypochondriac".

Visited December 2012