“Superb Up-Scale Hotel in a Good Location” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Munich Bayerpost

You added Sofitel Munich Bayerpost to your Saves list
Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bayerstrasse 12 | 80335 Munich, 80335 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #23 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Fort Pierce, Florida
“Superb Up-Scale Hotel in a Good Location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

I must admit that over the 40 years of visiting Munich, I have come to resist booking hotels in this area of the city, mostly because of the characters in and around the main rail station, so when I saw the location, I was unsure about it.
It turned out to be a super hotel close enough to the main station and all transit services to make it worthwhile for a two night stay, regardless of the prices.
As usual, Sofitel delivered everything I expected and more. The unique design makes the smallish rooms almost totally soundproof, so proximity to the rail station is of no consequence.
I agree with one reviewer about the arrogant Concierge who apparently has tired of guests asking stupid questions about how to get here and there, but that's his job. The rest of the front desk crew was great and very helpful.
The room was excellent. Not as big as I might have expected, but I also suspect I was in one of the cheaper rooms as my view was out the window into the open space that separated the hotel building from the old Post Office building shell. Not a big deal as I didn't go for the view.
The bath was the most modern with no tub, no curtain and no glass wall for the shower, but I really liked the idea. If you want total privacy, this concept isn't ideal, but traveling alone it was fine.
I agree with the other reviewers about the lighting. Since the entire décor is dark, dark walls, dark features, dark everything, with pin spots and some real spot lights on one wall, it was not a bright room. Could be depressing for some people. Work space and electric connections in my room were great with plenty of plug and an adjustable desk lamp with was acceptable. Not great, but acceptable. I did not try internet access.
One can get addicted to this level of luxury and style, but once in a awhile, its great. If I got the right price, I'd go back again.

Room Tip: If you fly to the airport, take the train direct to the haupbanhof and walk the hundred yards tot he...
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write so detailedly about your recent stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. It is great to hear that we could convince you to book our hotel even though so close to the station.

Thank you also for the description of the points we should consider about the design of our rooms. We will use your hints for future renovation projects.

It is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your stay with us, all in all.

I hope that we may welcome you again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (180)
  • Arabic first
  • Greek first
  • Indonesian first
Baltimore, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 9, 2014

The hotel is so close to the train station taking away the stress factor of my stay and allowing me to really enjoy my time in Munich.I was able to take the underground and see the city. The rooms are great adding to the relaxing factor them being furnished so beautifully, Topping off my stay was the great breakfast buffet really giving me such a nice impression of the city and the Sofitel.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing. It was a pleasure making your stay special.

I hope to welcome you again soon.

ireland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Definite 5 star with very friendly and efficient staff. The rooms were spacious with a coffee machine, sound system, and very clean. The bed was very comfortable with amazing pillows.

Breakfast was varied and fresh and the bar was top with great cocktails.

Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for this great feedback which I will gladly share with the whole team.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

Understatedly chic luxury hotel right next to the main station, giving easy walking or public transport access to anywhere in Munich. Most comfortable hotel bed I've been in in some time, excellent breakfast choice with good attention to guests with special dietary needs, as was the case with my colleague. Food served during the event I attended was exquisite, in taste and presentation. Attentive and polite staff. Just what I would expect from a hotel in this category.

Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

It is very important to us to offer each guest a most enjoyable stay here at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. Meeting special dietary needs is a very important part as are the food in general and a comfortable sleep. Thank you for appreciating our efforts and for this great comment.

Herefordshire, UK
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 8, 2014

Fine for a business visit, but not for a holiday, this hotel is brimming with efficient features such as the swipe for using the lift and for unlocking the door. However, the rooms are rather small with some odd features, such as a tiny pull-out desk that you can't use with the curtains closed. There's a Nespresso machine, and a kettle, but no tissues (or none that I could find). A single power point either side of the bed simplified charging my Blackberry and iPad at the same time. Lighting efficacy was poor, which seems to be pretty standard in hotels these days, but at least the bedside lamp was bright enough to make reading possible. The bed itself was okay -- not great, and the mattress was not particularly comfortable. But the worst bit was the flabby, cheap pillows that felt as though they were stuffed with loose foam chips. The staff were friendly and efficient, and the food was good, but the air conditioning in the big conference room was horrible.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost and for pointing out the details we should consider in the design and comfort of our rooms. As we are currently renovating all our guest rooms successively we will use your hints to improve our offer.

For the comfort of your sleep, we offer a variety of pillows. Please don't hesitate to ask. We will be glad to prepare the one that will offer you the best sleep.

I hope to welcome you again soon.

Kuwait City, Kuwait
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

We stayed at the Sofitel Bayernpost in February 2014 for 4 nights.

The location of the hotel is very convenient, it is alongside the train station and walking distance from the city center. Although at night it could be a bit disturbing, as some drunk people gather beside the station.

We stayed at the standard room, which was very modern. Our room had no view at all, it overlooked the otherside of the hotel, so we had the curtains closed all the time. Moreover, the lighting at the hotel is very dim, even when at the room there are red and green lights directed towards the bed, which was disturbing. The bathroom had a sliding door which was not convenient at all.

We had breakfast at the hotel buffet which was for €35 per person. It is overpriced for the selection of foods on display.

Overall, we enjoyed our staying and the conceirge was very helpful in assisting us in planning our trips while in Munich.

• Stayed February 2014
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. I am glad to hear, that, all in all, you had a pleasant stay and that we could help you make it even more enjoyable. I also thank you for the hints that we will consider in future renovation projects.

New York City
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 3, 2014

I was in Munich for one night, I arrived at around 1pm, check in was quick, and the staff was so helpful and professional. The hotel itself is very modern, stylish and very clean. The rooms open up just by slightly passing the room card key in front of a sensor, the rooms are average sized but they're very comfortable, my room had an expresso machine a believe or at least that's what it looked like, bed was very comfortable, bathroom was very nice everything was working.
I only managed to stay at this hotel for one night, but next time that I'm in Munich I would definitely stay here again. The train station is within walking distance on the same block, there are a lot of restaurants, shops and everything else one might need on a stay. I would have to say that this is one of the best hotels I have stayed in, it is a bit expensive but it's well worth the money.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you for chossing SofitelMunich bayerpost for your stay in Munich and for letting us make your stay - even though very short - an enjoyable one. It will be a pleasure welcoming you again.

Hotel Manager

Been to Sofitel Munich Bayerpost? Share your experiences!