“Fantastic hotel - Shame about the Mambos” 4 of 5 stars

5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bayerstrasse 12, 80335 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #16 of 382 hotels in Munich
“Fantastic hotel - Shame about the Mambos”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2013

Beautiful hotel - rooms fantastic - stunning spa and pool. However be surprised in the saunas & steam room.
Now we are not prudes and we are on a stag do - however I have seen more sausages than I care to remember - and not the bratwurst kind. Oh yes saunas and steam room full nudity goes. I ask is it really necessary to have to view this - do you gain anything extra by whipping your trunks off - no methinks - so eh Sofitel keep that tackle packed away - get rid of the nudity.

Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this review, October 7, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for commenting on your stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. It is great to hear how much you enjoyed your time in Munich.

In Germany, sauna and steam rooms are traditionally nude areas. I understand that that might be distracting if one is not used to it.

However, I hope that we may welcome you again soon at our beautiful hotel.

2,083 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (144)
  • Greek first
Ellijay, Georgia, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2013

I took a train from Vienna to Munich after a business trip. The fact that this hotel was less than 50 meters from the exit of the Munchen HBF station was great!
I was able to find it very easily and was checked in and in my room less than 15 minutes after disembarking from the train!
The room was fabulous! Large open spaces, comfortable bed, very clean. Hardwood (laminate) floors in the room, stone tile in the bathroom. Bathroom was open, with glass between the lavatory and the shower. There was no tub, the shower drain was just in the floor, but this worked great!
Nice water pressure!

Staff was helpful. The bar downstairs was very good. Room service was great.

I think the room was a little pricey, but for the location and the service it was good.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled solo
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for sharing. It is our most important goal to make each guest's stay a memorable one marked by our high quality of service. Thank you for appreciating our efforts.

Tbilisi, Dushet'is Raioni, Georgia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

I am arrived for Octoberfest, I can say that location is perfect.!!! Close station, if you want to arrive at the Marienplatz just few minutes walk.
The quality of the Hotel is High ! confortable and accurate in every detail.
Breakfast is international but also serve the typical German breakfast (the board, particularly good).

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this review, October 2, 2013

Thank you for sharing.

London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2013

We stayed at the Sofitel for a weekend and really enjoyed our stay, the hotel has a stylish yet cozy ambience and the staff is very friendly and helpful. We stayed in a normal double bedroom and had more then enough space. The breakfast is definitely a highlight. We didnt eat there for dinner since there are so many great restaurants.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for all your nice words. It was great having you here and it would be a pleasure to welcome you again soon.

Trieste, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

If you're going to Oktoberfest and you're looking for a modern style hotel, near the center (Marienplatz and the Oktoberfest just few minutes walk) a new building in an old building (it was the old post office of Munich and outside it is in the style it was build while internally it is modern and new - 2010) this is a nice place where to stay. I preferred the prestige suite because it has also the training area (tapis roulant, pilates big ball and some dumbbells for weight lifting) that you'll need after you've been at Oktoberfest!!! The suite is on two floors, on the ground floor you have a service bathroom, a living room with frigo-bar, TV and Bose sound system set and a small working area; on the upper floor a queen size bad (very comfortable), the training area and the bathroom with a large shower. The breakfast is both international and german and very good. If you're intentioned to use public transport you have the main Munich railway station two minutes walk from the hotel. I will come back surely again.

Room Tip: All the suites are on the 8th floor and all have a nice view over the city
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
HerrmannKatja, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this review, October 1, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for recommending our beautiful SoFit-Suites. It is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost and the Oktoberfest which is always a very special event for us in Munich.

I hope to welcome you again soon.

Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had booked my stay at the Sofitel 10 months in advance knowing how quickly hotels book out for the first week of Oktoberfest. The location is an easy 2 minutes stroll from the train station to the hotel entrance.
Happy to see the beautiful entry I made It inside to see the lobby quite busy. After a few minutes I was told that the rooms were not ready and I may have to wait and hour or two. It was 3pm so I was not overly impressed that you pay over EURO 520 a night and need to wait. The young guy at the front desk said they could hold my bags and I could go and enjoy Oktoberfest. I kindly let him know I had been traveling for 10hrs and would rather relax and unpack. Regrettably this was a lost cause as he insisted he had nothing vacant.
As well as this I had contacted the hotel a week earlier to mention the name who the booking was under (I held the physical printed booking with me) has changed but no notes were on the system so additional 20 minutes later and international phone calls / emails they held the room for me.

As I had to wait I grabbed my bags and headed to the hotels SO SPA, got changed and went for a swim. To say the SO SPA is good would be the understatement of the year. You pass into the sounds of chilled out tunes and dim textbook lighting. The spa includes a considerable pool with waterfall, swimming jet and a private little grotto zone. Outside of the pool is a steam sauna, infrared sauna (removes toxins), shredded ice area and multiple showers, plus massage rooms. I had a fresh juice from the SPA cafe and relaxed on the lounge. Just be warned in the relaxed sauna area is signed “nude area” and a few old German guys were getting around with the tackle out which may be a shock.

After some 2hrs I made my way back to the lobby and the room was organized. Checking into the Superior style room no.540 you notice very high end finishing’s, gorgeous stone bathroom, more chrome than a rappers escalade, nespresso machine and a soothing view out into the center garden. The room/ bathroom proportions were acceptable and had all that was needed. The BOSE ipod dock came in very handy and was used constantly. The bed was fantastic and I could not really point out any faults apart from a odor in the bathroom which was due to a hasty cleaning job.

Later that night more friends checked in and we went out for some German beer. On more than one instance we were stopped by security as many people were trying to enter the hotel .. which was no issue when we presented our room cards they apologized and we went inside.

We only went into the hotel bar once which was nice enough but never really got rocking. All meals we had externally so I can’t comment on the food or room service.

The stay was for 5 nights which was mainly spending all day at the Oktoberfest with friends and coming back to the hotel to relax. The big plus for the Sofitel is the location to the Oktoberfest and the SO SPA. The SO SPA is the ultimate wake up cure and after Oktoberfest cure and is highly recommended. The staff always gave big smiles when walking through the lobby and overall the hotel has been designed for the high end consumer. The art work is the only thing that needs reviewing as it is horrible, twisted celebrity portraits in bright colors.. it does not work.. unless you are trying to scare small children.

In a nut shell would I stay there again next year? I know due to Oktoberfest the occupancy & prices sky rocket but of a customer is arriving at 3pm for check in and the rooms are not prepared for 2hrs you should offer a complimentary bottle of wine or something when they get into the room. 2,600 Euro for 5 nights you expect a bit better, i just felt it missed that little something. But the SO SPA is what I consider makes the hotel stand out, depending on the Le Méridien`s offer directly across the road I don’t think you can go past the Sofitel.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
Dear guest,

Thank you for taking the time to write about your stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. It is a pleasure to hear how much you enjoyed your Oktoberfest stay at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost and especially our SOSpa.

Every day we strive to make each guest's stay a special one. Oktoberfest is always a very busy period for us. I am sorry that we did not keep to our high standards and could not offer you your room at the appointed check-in time. However, it is great to hear that you could use the waiting time to relax in our SOSpa. I gladly shared your comment with the whole team.

Please let me apologize for the miscommunication regarding the change of your booking. This should clearly not have happened. Rest assured that I immediately spoke to the involved department heads and that we trained our staff again accordingly.

The next time you visit we will certainly be able to add the little details to your stay that were missing this time.

Hotel Manager

Been to Sofitel Munich Bayerpost? Share your experiences!