“Very good, modern” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Sofitel Munich Bayerpost

You added Sofitel Munich Bayerpost to your Saves list
Sofitel Munich Bayerpost
5.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Bayerstrasse 12 | 80335 Munich, 80335 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Special Offer
Magnifique breakfast
Ranked #18 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Dublin, Ireland
“Very good, modern”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

I stayed here on two occasions. Found the rooms very good, clean and quiet. Breakfast was good, nice choice. The spa is excellent and at no extra cost, relaxing. The bar is tiny. good location for getting around to the main attractions and train station.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (159)
  • Greek first
Cairo, Egypt
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

We stayed for three nights here recently, upon check in there was some confusion about our booking.The price upon check in did not include breakfast and when I questioned our room rate it transpired they had allocated us into the top notch accomodation just down from a suite, a very nice option which would have been lovely as a free upgrade. However they had allocated that accomodation to us instead of the standard room and were charging us for the benefit. When I questioned why we were being given these rooms they said we wanted you to have nice rooms. I explained that the standard rooms which we had requested on booking would suffice and they apologized. They were able to put us back to the standard room which we booked. Just felt that was abit of a liberty, we did not ask for the top notch rooms so was bit concerned with this. The standard room was lovely, well appointed, with many gadgets as well as a nice waterfall shower.

In general the hotel was very nice, breakfast at 31 euro per head was grand, crowded but typical hotel fayre. There are cheaper options nearby. Concierge Service was reasonably helpful, they booked two of our restaurants, the third they did not and we unfortunately made our way to that restaurant only to be turned away. That was disappointing!! The pool area is relatively compact, there is no jacuzzi as such.. The sauna is identified as a nude area, we chose to remain clothed in one of saunas were all the guests had kept their suits on. However this was adjacent to the showers where we had a full view of a naked man showering on a Sunday afternoon. Not a major issue for us but could be more of a one for families with younger children or more conversative guests.

We are Accor Premium Members, we did get a free drink from the bar upon check in. Other than that there was no added recognition. All in all a lovely hotel, expensive but we did enjoy the experience.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Wiesbaden, New York, Seattle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed November 5, 2012

When there is a “Wies’n” (= Oktoberfest) in Munich, everything gets a little more expensive. Everybody who visits Munich for Oktoberfest is aware of that. Even so Munich and Oktoberfest is always a lot a fun!

This year I’d decided last minute to visit the Oktoberfest on a Saturday night. In order to get into one of the big beer tents, you need either a reservation, a lot of luck, or connections: Well, a good concierge has definitely the latter.

The reservation usually includes entrance to the tent, a voucher for food, plus 2 – 4 vouchers good for a Mass of beer each. Depending on the tent, such a package costs around 30 to 50 EUR per person. Understandably , a 5 Star Sofitel Concierge might charge a multiple of the average package price, which would be ok, as long as the benefits are delivered. What the group had received was - with some hours’ delay – being sneaked into a tent via a back door! No vouchers, nothing. I called the Sofitel and asked for clarification: unfortunately the Concierge responsible was no longer on duty.

Next morning, he was not on duty either. I left my phone number and asked for a call back. All I wanted was a clarification on the overall situation.
No call back. I called next day again and was told that he would be back on duty in two days. After two days: No call. I called again later: Now he was on vacation. As nobody else seemed to be willing to deal with the situation, I requested another call back.

Well, it's more than five weeks later now and still nothing has happened. Since the “5 Star Hotel” and “5 Star Concierge Service” did not want to clarify and resolve this, I thought that I would at least warn other travelers about the practices at this hotel. I fully understand that this may be a single occurrence that had never happened before or may never happen again, however, for a Sofitel this is the worse experience a customer can receive!

Not sure what I am personally more disappointed about: The negligence of the concierge in calling me back and trying to resolve an issue, or the fact that I even supported this practice!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
Alexander_Moj, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this review, November 13, 2012
Dear guest,

thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us. Oktoberfest is always a very busy but also fascinating time – for our guests as well as for us. Please be assured that I will investigate the incidents you described.

Alexander Moj
Hotel Manager
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012 via mobile

This hotel is in a great location & the rooms are beautiful, but the staff, service & room snags let the hotel down.

When we checked in at 3pm our room wasn't quite finished (not that we were told this), so when we got to the room we had to endure knocks on the door as the staff refilled the coffee, water etc. Very annoying!

Later that evening while in the room our room card card stopped working which automatically switched off the air con, lights, switches for the blinds etc in the bathroom. When we got it fixed the air con still wouldn't come back on so several calls later one of the security staff came and fixed it.

Next day same thing happened again & I was patronised to by the receptionist that I must have had our cards near a mobile phone (which I hadn't and certainly wouldn't explain why both mine & my husbands wasn't working).

As I type this review I am sat in the hotel lobby. It's 4.30pm and we're still waiting for the maid to finish (I say finish but she only just started it 10 mins ago despite the fact her trolley has been outside our room for over 2hrs). Don't think it's unreasonable to expect housekeeping to be finished by this time in the day... I'd go complain to the receptionist but given previous encounters it would just be a total waste of time.

• Stayed November 2012
Alexander_Moj, Hotel Manager at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost, responded to this review, December 21, 2012
Dear guest,

Thank you for sharing your experiences at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost. Our goal is to make each guest's stay a remarkable one in terms of service and quality.

The incidents you described clearly tell us that we didn't achieve this during your stay. I understand that the refilling of the mini bar was disturbing to you and the fact that you had to wait for your room to be finished. Please let me apologize for the inconvenience this caused.

Thank you for telling us about your key cards not working properly. Since they allowed you to enter the room we investigated this problem more in depth and found out the reason why the technical devices did not work properly. There was a connection error in the card reader inside your room. we were able to fix this thanks to your comment.

I hope to welcome you again soon at Sofitel Munich Bayerpost.

Best regards

Alexander Moj
Hotel Manager
Singapore, Singapore
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

I had the pleasure of staying in the Sofitel Munich Bayerpost from 24 Oct - 25 Oct. Service was efficient and friendly all round, matching my expectation of what a Sofitel should be. The competent concierge team had an answer for every single question I posted, so a big thank you to them. However there wasn't any recognition of my Platinum status with Accor, which is unusual for a Sofitel.

Our room on level 6 was a tad on the small side, but perfectly adequate. Cleanliness of the room was up to par with the best hotels in the business. Everything was in perfect working order, so nothing to grumble about.

Will I return? Yes, definitely. Its close proximity to the train station is a big plus, and the welcoming staff made the difference between a good hotel and a great hotel. Every question and request was met with a genuine smile. The only regret? We only stayed for one night.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 3, 2012

We stayed here for a few nights for our honeymoon in June. The hotel was easy to find and in an excellent location. There were plenty of staff on reception and the lady that checked us in was extremely helpful, giving us directions to the nearest beer garden. Munich is a lovely city and it was really easy to navigate our way around from the hotel. The room was extremely comfortable, although we did find the bathroom glass door slightly unusual. The swimming pool is fantastic and was always quiet. We ate in Sophie's Bistro which was quite pricey for what we had. However, given the standard of the hotel, it's to be expected. The bar staff were extremely friendly and we would highly recommend the cocktails.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
Flic En Flac
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

I have stayed several times in Sofitel Munich Bayerpost and always liked the rooms. The postindustrial design is special and hard to forget Sofitel Munich Bayerpost offers great service, location and all the rest you can expect form Top hotel.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business

Been to Sofitel Munich Bayerpost? Share your experiences!