“good, but not at the centre” 4 of 5 stars

Hotel Biederstein
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Keferstrasse 18, Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #93 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Paris
“good, but not at the centre”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 10, 2013

The location of this hotel is great if you love the Park nearby and have time since the hotel is a good 5-minute walk to the subway. So you're not exactly in the middle of the action.
Good room, nice breakfast, efficient staff, no real view from the rooms.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room Tips
San Francisco, California
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 6, 2013

The hotel is great, exactly what you want from a 3/4 Star Hotel. The Staff is top-notch and accommodating. The Location is one of the best in all of Munich. I recommend anyone from business traveler to backpacker check out this Hotel for your next stay in Munich. Below is my more detailed review - which will certainly convince you to stay at Hotel Biederstein.

First off the location. I know what you're thinking, "it seems a bit out of the way." The reality is MOST of the hotels downtown are flawed due to their proximity to all the "action" (drunk people, cars, buses, trains, etc.). You think drunk college kids on vacation are quiet at 1AM... This is why Hotel Biederstein is great. Its located in Schwabing - the BEST neighborhood in Munich to visit to see how the locals live. You've got all the trendy shops, great restaurants and bars and even Apotheke's and grocery stores nearby, and its only an 8 minute U-Bahn ride from downtown. You can spend all day amongst the hustle downtown touring and shopping during the day, then enjoy a modestly priced dinner and a restful night's sleep in Schwabing thereafter.

Plus the Hotel backs up into the English Garden, a HUGE, sprawling public park that affords the visitor miles of hiking/biking paths, rivers, streams, lakes, and 2 outdoor beer gardens. Its a great luxury to have so close to you. And if you rent out a bike its one of the best ways to see the city, you can ride right down the park to some of the main tourist attractions of Munich (and never risk getting hit by a car).

Then you have the amazing staff. The front office is great, even if they've never heard of TripAdvisor (we asked, they hadn't). When we arrived they updated our accommodations without extra charge, and did their best to orientate us to our surroundings. While we stayed there, I got the flu and they often checked up on me whenever I came down for breakfast, and even got me an appointment with the neighboring physician (whom I highly recommend visiting if you get sick during your vacation - he's great). We were able to be accommodated when we made requests as well (for extra pillows, hot water for tea, etc.). We felt very spoiled and it was all in part to their terrific staff & costumer service skills.

Then you have the hotel itself. Its a great 3/4 Star Hotel with updated amenities (like new beds, and updated bathrooms). Everything was clean and we felt like we had a lot of room to spread out. The rooms were quiet, we never heard our neighbors or too much noise from outside either. All in all, it was better than what we expected.

We'd easily recommend our friends and family check out Hotel Biederstein without hesitation. And with that, you really don't have a reason not to book with them. Trust us, you will enjoy your stay!

Room Tip: All the rooms are quiet, clean and up-to-date.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Savannah, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 3, 2013

I stayed here on business for approximately 10 days. I understand the American reviewer who had concerns about messages, but the hotel is so wonderful one should probably just take the lumps and enjoy the experience. I had two rooms over two stays. The nicest was an atelier room which opened out into the glorious summer evenings of Schwabing. The neighborhood is very quiet and near both ice blue Isar River. Fruhstuck is taken in a pleasant room, and, in the evenings, we would either decamp to the local bar or walk about 5 minutes to the more touristy but wonderful Seehaus in the English Garden. We spent our Fourth of July here, and I can't imagine a better melding of German and American sensibilities. The U-Bahn is about a 5 minute walk away, and on my day off I could be in central Munich in a few minutes or rent a bicycle to explore one of the best city parks in the world. Although I was on business, I recommend this hotel for romantic visits as well...the Biederstein was so inspirational that I received a serious marriage proposal during my visit. Whenever I am next in Munich, I would go out of my way to stay at the Biederstein.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2012

We stayed again at the Biederstein this year, and I feel I should upgrade the hotel to 5 stars (last year I was a tad stingy and gave 4). We had booked the same family room as before, but the previous occupants had apparently left the room in a state where the owners felt they could not rent it to us. Thus the owner called me the day of our arrival in the morning, apologized, and offered to either have a repair/cleaning company come to the hotel and fix the family room by 3 pm, or to give us better rooms for the same price, or first try the other rooms and if we didn't like it go back to the family room. This I call commitment to service.

The location was as great as ever, the rooms comfortable, spacious and immaculately clean, the service friendly, the breakfast buffet excellent. I wouldn't know what to criticize. Whenever I'll need a hotel in Munich, Biederstein it will be.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Fort Washington, Pennsylvania, United States
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

Our family spent 10 nights at Hotel Biederstein in June. What a great choice. The staff was so friendly and helpful. We wanted a simple place to stay while seeing both Munich city sites and the Bavarian countryside. Karen and Andreas were excellent sources of information and assistance. The rooms were comfy, clean and quiet, and the buffet breakfast was varied and excellent. Lulu, our favorite waitress, served us eggs to order each morning and was so sweet and efficient. We had a double room and a family room, and this combination was perfect for our family of 2 parents and 3 older children. We could walk to the Englischer Garden, the subway, and we found parking on the street for the few days we had a rental car. The neighborhood is mostly families, and pretty quiet, but there are lots of restaurants within walking distance. If you don't feel like taking the subway, you could actually walk to Marienplatz within about 30 minutes. It's very pedestrian friendly. If we return to Munich, we will definately stay here.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Washington DC, District of Columbia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2011

We (a couple with two small children, 4 and 6) stayed there for a couple of nights after a 2-week vacation in the Bavarian countryside, just to sniff a bit of city air. Hotel Biederstein does not look like much from the outside - it is part of of an unassuming apartment complex from the 1960s or 70s. However, its location is excellent, in a quiet residential street that is just steps from both Munich's beautiful city park "English Garden" and the hip neighborhood of Schwabing. There is also a fine traditional restaurant/beergarden ("Osterwaldgarten") just around the corner. The metro is 10 minutes away and brings onw downtown within another 10 minutes.

Staff is friendly, the rooms are not luxurious but clean, functional and comfortable. Fine breakfast buffet. Overall a good place to stay if you look for a more intimate, relaxing setting in this fabulous city.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Elstree, Hertfordshire
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 11, 2010

Located near the lake in the picturesque English Garden (a few minutes walk from Műnchner Freiheit underground station), the hotel is in a very quiet and safe neighbourhood and it's a good base to explore Munich. I had a clean, tidy, functional room, which was like sleeping in a soundproof chamber (very unusual for a city hotel). The extremely helpful staff all spoke excellent English and the buffet breakfast was very tasty. For business travellers, this is certainly much better value than the larger chain hotels.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Biederstein? Share your experiences!