“Strangely interesting!” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #33 of 2,702 restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: African, Barbecue, Bar, Grill
Good for: Romance, Outdoor seating
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: In Südafrika treffen die Küchen von Frankreich, Portugal, Deutschland, Malaysia, Holland, Indien und der mediterranen Küche aufeinander und bilden den traditionell südafrikanischen Kochstil. Mit exotischen Zutaten werden im Savanna südafrikanischen Spezialitäten wie Krokodil im Bierteig mit Perinaise, Springbock Medaillons oder Caphecht vom Grill kreiert. Dazu werden unterschiedlichste Beilagen wie Süßkartoffel-Pommes, gegrillte Chutney Brötchen oder überbackene Polenta serviert. Zum Dessert gibt es gebackenen Vanille- und Aprikosen-Pudding mit Vanille Soße oder Amarula Tiramisu.
Neuried, Germany
“Strangely interesting!”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 4, 2012

Was a bit reluctant when my wife told me she made a reservation at Savanna as the menu displayed, Crocodile, Zebra, Gnu,.. etc meat and I was not sure I could eat this?

Finally I gave up resistance and was nicely surprised, in a funny atmosphere with an Elefant head waiting above the entrance for me. I choose a spicy cocktail based on chilly and kind of pina colada mix, very good and had a menu to taste all kind of strangely interesting African dishes.

I have not exactly become a fan of crocodile steaks, but at least I tried it.

Still it is an excellent quality restaurant and it might be worth trying for people who love challenges and are fed up of always going for the Pizza or the traditional Steak house.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food

90% Recommend
Munich, Germany
“Tasty, exotic meat in a restaurant that doesn´t feel gimmicky.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This restaurant (which is still relatively new in Munich) is just a bit over a 5 minute walk from Goetheplatz U bahn. Once in Maistrasse, it is easy to spot as there happens to be a giant elephant´s head mounted outside!!

A little bit of outside seating and not especially big inside, the restaurant is nicely laid out so that it feels not too large, I could imagine two feeling as comfortable as us six. There is an extensive wine menu, although if one wanted to drink by the glass, it was a lot less extensive (3 of each colour), perhaps that might be extended to include glass of the day? Cocktails served in bowls, one of many nice touches.

The menu is very meat based. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this restaurant to vegetarians, however, the exoticness of the meat is part of the reason for visiting. Zebra, crocodile and more everyday meats are regulars, the exotic meat of the season when we were there was gnu (wildebeast). Not a great selection of non/meat, non/cheese based starters. Specials are on the board behind the bar.

I had the gnu steak, very good. Sweet potato chips were gorgeous, so were side vegetables, both portions were easily shared between two. For this, a starter and two glasses of red, I paid about 45 Euros - so I agree with the other reviewers that the portion size to price ratio is on the high side if you compare to Bavarian restaurants - however, you don´t go to Bavarian restaurants to eat gnu steak.

Menu descriptions were in German, however, even without German, one could have worked it out from the titles of the dishes and, anyway, the waitress speaks English. Ambience is very pleasant, no one rushed us. Little quirky touches, like the bills coming in cigar boxes (which are not for sale!) and obvious game motifs around the restuarant. Perhaps another CD is needed, we were there 4 hours and the South African themed music was on its third repeat by then.

Also, we think this could be the only example in Munich of a hot and a cold tap in a basin as opposed to a mixer tap (apparantly. It is in the gents)!!

I liked this restaurant. I will go back, I will take people there to try it and I will recommend it. Its a little on the expensive side for everyday, however, I liked the way it didn´t feel at all Bavarian and also managed not to feel gimmicky or touristy.

• Visited August 2012