“Tasty, exotic meat in a restaurant that doesn´t feel gimmicky.” 4 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 3,018 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: Steakhouse, International, African, Bar, Pub
Good for: Romantic
Dining options: Drinks, Dinner, Late Night, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wine and Beer
Description: The Savanna Restaurant takes you away on a short culinary holiday to South Africa. Enjoy our exotic steaks and traditional specialties in an authentic atmosphere with South African wines and delicious cocktails...
Munich, Germany
“Tasty, exotic meat in a restaurant that doesn´t feel gimmicky.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 13, 2012

This restaurant (which is still relatively new in Munich) is just a bit over a 5 minute walk from Goetheplatz U bahn. Once in Maistrasse, it is easy to spot as there happens to be a giant elephant´s head mounted outside!!

A little bit of outside seating and not especially big inside, the restaurant is nicely laid out so that it feels not too large, I could imagine two feeling as comfortable as us six. There is an extensive wine menu, although if one wanted to drink by the glass, it was a lot less extensive (3 of each colour), perhaps that might be extended to include glass of the day? Cocktails served in bowls, one of many nice touches.

The menu is very meat based. I wouldn't necessarily recommend this restaurant to vegetarians, however, the exoticness of the meat is part of the reason for visiting. Zebra, crocodile and more everyday meats are regulars, the exotic meat of the season when we were there was gnu (wildebeast). Not a great selection of non/meat, non/cheese based starters. Specials are on the board behind the bar.

I had the gnu steak, very good. Sweet potato chips were gorgeous, so were side vegetables, both portions were easily shared between two. For this, a starter and two glasses of red, I paid about 45 Euros - so I agree with the other reviewers that the portion size to price ratio is on the high side if you compare to Bavarian restaurants - however, you don´t go to Bavarian restaurants to eat gnu steak.

Menu descriptions were in German, however, even without German, one could have worked it out from the titles of the dishes and, anyway, the waitress speaks English. Ambience is very pleasant, no one rushed us. Little quirky touches, like the bills coming in cigar boxes (which are not for sale!) and obvious game motifs around the restuarant. Perhaps another CD is needed, we were there 4 hours and the South African themed music was on its third repeat by then.

Also, we think this could be the only example in Munich of a hot and a cold tap in a basin as opposed to a mixer tap (apparantly. It is in the gents)!!

I liked this restaurant. I will go back, I will take people there to try it and I will recommend it. Its a little on the expensive side for everyday, however, I liked the way it didn´t feel at all Bavarian and also managed not to feel gimmicky or touristy.

• Visited August 2012