“great stay” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #1 of 61 Specialty Lodging in Munich
Scotland
“great stay”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 5, 2013 via mobile

Euro youth hostel is 5 minutes from the central train station and in easy walking distance with the centre of Munich. The rooms and bathrooms are fairly basic but spotlessly clean, the bar is good value with a great atmosphere and the staff really helpful. We had a great stay and would definitely return again!

Stayed April 2013, traveled with friends

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

Not one bad thing to say about this hostel... Its in a great location, so I walked to most of the sites in Munich. It was myself and my friend (two university aged women) traveling together, and we felt very safe in this hostel (and really, in munich in general). The rooms are SPOTLESS, great storage, bathroom facilities much nicer than in other hostels we stayed in during our trip, and nice common area. We did the bar drawl one night, and enjoyed that. Overall, I would highly recommend Euro Youth--apart from sharing the room with strangers in the dorms, you would almost never know this was a hostel, compared to others!! Oh, and its in a great building, adds alot of character. This place is everything you want a hostel to be.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
3 of 5 stars Reviewed April 3, 2013

The facility is fine. The price is fair. There's nothing sketchy about the hostel. But clearly, there is nothing special about this hostel. I've been to maybe only 6 hostels throughout Europe and this one would have to be on the bottom or closer to the bottom of my list. I'll lay out the pros and cons for those who don't feel like reading all of my text.

CONS:

- Very few electrical outlets!!!

This was very annoying. In one lounge room in the lobby there is only one table that you can sit at to connect to an outlet... so you must guard that area or keep an eye on it until the person is finished. In another room next to the bar, there are more outlets however its next to couches and doesn't make it ideal to do work or read and eat at the same time.

In my 4-bed-room there was only one outlet next to a bed that was already taken. That meant I couldn't connect anything next to my bed or area. I had to charge my iPhone next to the bathroom sink. This proved to be frustrating for my entire stay.

- Cleanliness: While for the most part the place was clean, it seemed to me that the housekeeping didn't really clean the bathrooms inside of our own rooms. For 2 days we didn't have any toilet paper which meant I could tell perhaps noone checked this when cleaning (or lack thereof). Also, I had horrible dirty roommates during my stay who would urinate on the toilet and from day to day this was not cleaned. This was disappointing because the bathrooms in the rooms are actually nice and big.

- Noisy. I was on the 2nd floor and could hear the noise from the bar downstairs every night. In fact, as far as sleep quality goes, it was the worst hostel by far. Not only was it noisy downstairs but I had the worst possible roommates ever. God help you if you have any Asian men in your room. They are by far the worst people in my experience of sharing a room with. I would be woken up at 1:00am, 5:00am, and 6:00am every morning.

- Not really an eventful hostel. They didn't really have anything going on other than a bar and very few special activities. In my experience, the best hostels have better staff involvement and activities for the people staying. This was just more of a business/hotel experience versus a "party" hostel, which might be fine for some.

PROS:

- Wifi is excellent anywhere within the hostel during my stay. This is a big plus. I could connect great while laying on my bed, but remember, it has to be charged as there are no outlets around your bed most likely.

- Big bathrooms within rooms or optional bathrooms in hallway. Good convenience so you don't have to wait.

- Breakfast is a decent deal. 4.50 euro for unlimited juice, coffee, and a basic german breakfast. For the coffee I see that its worth it.

- Location is near Hbf although the websites directions were very confusing and I found it by chance. But it is indeed near the Hbf.

In summary, would I stay here again? Probably not. I would try another hostel with better sleep quality and maybe a little more eventful for the solo traveller.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed April 2, 2013

Stayed here with friends for a long weekend and could not give any negative comments. From arrival to departure the staff were very welcoming and helpful Our room was spotlessly clean as were the shared toilets and showers.
The bar offered good prices and the staff were very friendly.
The location wont be to everyone's liking but suited us fine as close to the main station and plenty of bars around.It is about a 10-15 minute walk to Marienplatz,
If staying here make sure to pay a visit to the Augustiner Brauhaus. In my opinion the best Brauhaus visited. Great atmosphere, great beer, great food, great prices. it's a 10 minute walk.Ask the hostel staff for directions.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
Chester, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 29, 2013

As far as hostels go I was really impressed by this one. It very close to the central train station and only about a 10 minute walk to the main square, Marienplatz. The room was basic but very comfortable and always kept clean, the toilets were also always kept spotless. We also had breakfast which was really good as well, a nice choice of cold food along with teas, coffees and juices. Didn't really go out much while we were here but the bar was always quite busy and had happy hour from 7-9 with half price drinks. If I was going to Octoberfest I definitely would stay here, its in the perfect location.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 25, 2013

I actually stayed at Euro Youth Hotel in Jan 2011 but never reviewed it; I absolutely thought this was one of our better hostel picks along the way! This hotel's great if you're looking for quality on a budget. It's easily located from the main station (Munich HBF, 2-3 mins) and only a few minutes' walk from the Marienplatz. We walked everywhere in Munich from our hotel, including to Hofbrauhaus and all the pedestrian malls.

We were in a triple room with ensuite (private bathroom). The bathroom was plain but spacious. The room was clean, with a sink and mirror outside of the closed bathroom. We had a large table in our room and a bunk for two, plus a single bed. The room was a bit awkwardly split up (bathroom in the middle of the layout), but that wasn't really a problem. We didn't notice the noise, but it is close to the station and among several hostels in the area surrounding the station (slightly seedy, but didn't feel unsafe). The lift is tiny; I'd recommend taking the stairs and/or packing lightly, but they do have one.

The breakfast buffet was fantastic, which was a surprise. There were meats, cheeses, colorful boiled eggs, toast, and more. We were able to fill up and last well until lunchtime. I think you had the option of purchasing breakfast, but I felt it was ample. Worth it if you just want to hit the road and not spend time searching for food in the morning, as it was pretty cheap.

The staff were very kind and helpful, and gave us a map of Munich as soon as we checked in. There was a luggage room where we kept our bags after check-out until our train was ready to leave town. It is behind the desk, but keep in mind that people are picking up their OWN bags from the room (and they aren't checked or identified). Obviously it'd be hard to abscond with an absurd amount of luggage, but do use caution and DON'T leave anything in sight in the luggage room.

Another plus is that they always seemed to have social activities going on downstairs. It was a great atmosphere for meeting people and they had a nice little bar there if you wanted to hang out and mingle. Again, great for young travelers.

I recommended to a friend (solo traveler) and he enjoyed his stay.

I would stay again - clean, comfortable, cheap, good service!

Room Tip: Triple ensuite on higher floor: had private bathroom but paid a very good price. We slept great.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
Guildford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 19, 2013

Stayed here for 5 nights last May and it was absolutely brilliant. Had travelled to Munich on my own with the intention of meeting new friends and the hostel really helped me do this. I stayed in the single room which had two single beds in it.

What I loved about this hostel is that not only is it about 3 mins walk from central station, but also it is very close to Marienplatz which is like the central shopping area but also is usually the starting point for walking or cycling tours.

The bar in the hostel is probably one of its highlights. Seems to be very popular with the locals too and by 8pm-9pm can often be packed full, but with a great atmosphere! (Good place to meet German girls ;) One thing worth noting is the hostel can get very noisy at times and as long as you are either having a good time and making some noise in the bar yourself or very drunk then this will not be a problem at all. To be fair even one night when I went to sleep sober I still slept absolutely fine!

Overall this hostel is fantastic and coupled with a great bar and brilliant location it made for a truly memorable stay in Bavaria.

Room Tip: Single room has two single beds.
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled solo

Been to Euro Youth Hotel? Share your experiences!