“Great Hotel, Great Location” 4 of 5 stars

Maximilian Munich
Hochbruckenstrasse 18, 80331 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #13 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Houston
“Great Hotel, Great Location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 22, 2012

This hotel is perfectly situated in the heart of Munich. Nearly everything is walkable (outside of the Olympic park). Other positives include, free Wi-Fi, very large rooms (by European standards) and very clean! Our room was spotless everyday upon our return. Another nice perk was the great staff, all were very knowledgeable, and very willing to help a first time visitor enjoy their Munich experience. I highly recommend this hotel to those who are visiting Munich for the first time as this hotel puts you in the heart of the city, and the staff really does a nice job making you feel at home. A++

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Sacramento, CA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 2, 2012

I was in Munich July 2012 for a series of operas (Wagner Ring Cycle) at the Bayerische Staatsoper. My room at the Maximilian was like having my own studio apartment in the city for a week. My room had a street entrance separate from the main hotel entrance so i had the wonderful feeling of coming home to my special apartment. The hotel location was perfect--less than a five-minute walk to the opera house. The street is very quiet with no street noise ever reaching the room. The location is also convenient for the main tourist areas and a very nice supermarket.

My room was light and airy. The small refrigerator doubles as a mini bar but the manager suggested they just remove all the mini bar items so I would have full use of the fridge.

The staff is very service oriented. As an example--I had to go to the office early my first morning because no one had shown me how to use the coffee machine. To apologize, the management sent me a nice fruit plate and bottle of wine.

I have been used to a breakfast buffet being included in the room rate in Germany but here they charge separately (E 18). I cannot comment on the value as I chose to get things from the supermarket.

The only reason i give four stars rather than five is that there were a series of small housekeeping problems, but they were nothing to prevent me from coming back.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled solo
Seoul, South Korea
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 23, 2012

Stayed in Maximiliam Apartment Hotel for 5 days / 4 nights with my family (kids 2.7 years and 1 year). Booked a family suite. Impressed with the great location and the beautiful charm of the building. Hotel is just 5 minutes from the action around Hofbrauhause (avoid with kids) and 10 from Virtualienmarkt (an absolute must).
Really likes the place, nice renovated building, functional room.
Problem started on the evening of 3rd day when upon using the microwave the main fuse of the apartment came of and could not be fixed. The (super friendly and helpful) young man on front desk could not fix it either and technical service was not available (Saturday evening!). Only option possible was to offer us to use the free room next door which we did at least for using the bathroom.
Things did not get much better the next day: When returning from a day trip early afternoon (around 16.00) we found that the electric problem had been fixed but housekeeping had skipped our room. Upon inquiring at front desk (this time a lady) - it was confirmed: "Oh yes" - no real excuse, but "we fill call housekeeping immediately". 2 hours later still no housekeeping and eventually after another hour the young gentleman who was so friendly the night before at least by himself changed towels and emptied the garbage.
Next day we had our regular check out and again (this time a lady) now direct excuse, only a minor upon inquiring. Only reduction we got was having the one breakfast for 2 free which we took on the morning with no power.
For a hotel charging 390 Euro per night this is an absolute unacceptable service. all staff except for the young gentleman were far below the standard of this hotel. Only him and the location saved it from a lower rating - very sad as it could have been an outstanding.

Room Tip: Skip the limited breakfast option and rather buy your own fresh rolls from the bakery in Marienstras...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
california
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2012 via mobile

About 6 blocks from Marianplatz, centrally located to most attractions. A market 2 blocks away allows you the freedom to have some meals in the room. Great location

• Stayed July 2012
Austin
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 27, 2012

We have stayed here about 5 times over the years. The locations is perfect. The price is very good given the level of the rooms and service. The City View Suites are very comfortable for an extended stay. The staff is helpful and very friendly. There is a very pleasent garden/courtyard in the center. So you can relax in some peace and quiet but you are only a 5 minute walk from the Maximilianstrasse, the Marienplatz or the Opera. The restaurant Gandl in St Annastrasse is a 10 minute walk and is great.

Not sure why I would stay anywhere else.

Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
Dubai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 23, 2012

I have stayed here for 9 nights, with my wife, son and Daughter. The location was just perfect for us, tucked nicely away from the busy main streets yet a 2-5 minute walk to the most popular attractions, like the Maximilian high street and the popular Marien Platz, surrounded by all the facilities you will ever need in this beautiful city.

We usually stay at either the Mandarine Oriental or the Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski, but this time we decided to look for an apartment to rent specially since we were planning to travel with our baby son. The room we booked, The Family Maisonette, felt small and cramped mainly due to the roof cutting into the room. Nonetheless the layout was good, so was the bathroom and the facilities in the room. The decor was not bad as well.

However the most important factor that gave this an easy 5 star was the hotel's relentless service and assistance. The staff were always looking forward to help me with the many inquiries I had and give me a few sight seeing advices. They always went the extra mile to make our stay as memorable as possible.

The free internet service was pretty fast! The staff were kind enough to give us additional username/passwords for the various devices we had.

The hotel does provide car parking but if your car is big (which was the case for me) you would have to park your car in the parking building just in front of the apartment building, for a nominal overnight parking fee.

Overall, a lovely stay, I just wish we picked better rooms. I would definitely visit this place again when traveling with my kids.

Room Tip: Should you travel with your family I would strongly recommend taking the rooms overlooking the garde...
  • Stayed June 2012, traveled with family
New Delhi, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 2, 2012

I traveled with my wife and 2 kids. Very friendly staff and nice location. Very peaceful and yet 3min walk from the street.
Gym is average with basic machines.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family

Been to Maximilian Munich? Share your experiences!