“Beautiful hotel in Lehel with some pleasant surprises” 5 of 5 stars

Package Deal
Ranked #37 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Certificate of Excellence 2014
London, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel in Lehel with some pleasant surprises”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 8, 2011

I recently stayed here on a brief business trip to Munich. For my last 4 trips to the city, I have stayed at the Platzl hotel which is situated in the old town and has always been comfortable but I wanted to try somewhere different, mainly because the company I was visiting had moved offices. I was a little concerned as a lot of the reviews I have read have commented on the size of the hotel and its rooms but having seen some of the photos I thought I would take the chance as I have always preferred a hotel with a bit of character and not modernised to the hilt. I arrived at the hotel at around 9.30pm after a longer than planned flight, worried that I wouldn't be able to find anywhere decent to eat and was greeted by a friendly receptionist who pointed me in the direction of the nearest restaurant, which was less than a minute's walk away (a lovely Italian restaurant called Salotto). Back to the hotel and my room, the first thing I noticed was the size of my hotel room door which was huge and I wondered whether I had been booked into a luxury suite without me knowing! It was an old fashioned key job no cards and when I walked into the room I immediately fell in love with the grandness of it. I am not going to guess what century the building was first constructed in but it had masses of character (including a chandelier!). The bathroom was small but had plenty of room to put all of my things and the shower was new and powerful enough. However the real icing on the cake was the surprise discovery of a covered balcony that was attached to the room,. It was really a mini conservatory with a table and chairs and beautifully decorated. The room was also the perfect temperature for a very cold night and very peaceful. The next morning after finding it very hard to get out of bed I wandered down to the reception area at around 10.30, mistakenly thinking that breakfast was served until 11. I was informed that it was served until 10 but they could still bring me some food which consisted of a bread basket and cold meats which was all I really needed and it was all delicious( I am not sure what you get with the full breakfast). The only thing I can mention which may be a downside to some is that the room only has a very small 14" tv but if the purpose of your trip is not to stay in bed all day and watch it then I would not let this put you off at all. I was very impressed by my stay here and only wish I were staying another night!

Room Tip: I was in room 37, it was at the end of a corridor and very quiet. I am not sure which side of the ho...
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (20)
Athens
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 7, 2011

We stayed at the apartment next to the hotel which had ample space for all four of us. The location is very nice since you can walk to the Center and is right next to the underground.
The hotel staff was very friendly and courteous, although they were very busy most of the times.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Plattsmouth Ne
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

If you like marble floors, crystal chandeliers, in an elegant 19th century building, and if you appreciate efficient and friendly service, I recommend the Opera Hotel on St Anna Street in Munich. I was escorted to my room by the desk staff. The room was cozy, comfortable and beautifully furnished. There were French doors opening onto a flower laden balcony which overlooked a beautiful courtyard. The bathroom fixtures were black marble. A very nice breakfast was served in a plesant breakfast room at a linen covered table set with silver and hand painted porcelain. The friendly and plesant staff spoke better English than I speak German, but patiently endured my less than perfect use of their language. I especially appreciated the efforts of the reception manager, Lisa Kraus. Lisa is a lovely young woman with a degree in hotel management, who speaks four languages. She went out of her way to get me opera tickets and to manage numerous schedule changes. My night at the Opera, and my stay at the Opera Hotel were one of the highlights of my most recent trip to Munich.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Brussels
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2011

Arrived at 9.45PM. Quick check in, although no explenation about room, which floor, breakfast hours, no help offered with my suitcase. In fact nothing. I wanted to go out for a quick bite! Ask if there was the M restaurant nearby. No idea was the answer. No other help was offered. Location is good, rooms just ok, service???

• Stayed October 2011
Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 13, 2011

This hotel is located in the center of Münich on a very quiet street. The rooms are very charming and romantic. The breakfast is served in there lovely garden in a traditional and elegant way. The rooms are a bit small but very cozy, so just in case you like alot of space please ask when booking about the size of your room. All the rooms are different so I am sure there will be no problem to suit your needs.

I love this little hotel, and am always pleased to go back.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends
Spokane
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 1, 2011

My wife and I also appreciated the perspective of the 7/25 reviewer. We just returned from an enjoyable 8-night stay at the Hotel Opera at the end of August. The Hotel Opera is an elegant, small hotel in the Lehel district of Munich, with a warm, friendly and gracious staff.

The location is fantastic! The hotel is just one block from the Lehel U-Bahn station, which gave us ready access to Munich’s wonderful transit system. There are several great restaurants within a block of the hotel. Gandl and La Stanza were fantastic with great food and very personable service. Pequenos had remarkably good margaritas (one can not live by beer alone!).

Our third floor room was spacious with a very comfortable bed (actually two twins pushed together). The small, but very adequate bathroom was all marble and had excellent lighting. Water pressure and temperature were also great.

The included breakfast (coffee/tea, juice, meats, cheeses, and lox with a basket of fresh bread and rolls) is elegantly served at linen covered tables either in the charming courtyard (on warm days) or the beautiful winter garden or breakfast room. I don’t know about you, but we don’t usually eat breakfast using fine china and silver. It was simply elegant. We did opt out of breakfast a couple of days just to vary things a bit.

Our stay did include several days with temperatures in the upper 80’s and lower 90’s (Fahrenheit). Even with the window open, our street front room didn’t cool down that much. The weather cooled down the last several days of our stay and the room was far more comfortable. A fan (not available during our stay) would have helped substantially with that, and also with some of the late night noise that we noticed. Munich has a very active nightlife that seems to last through the early morning hours.

Anyone looking for a small, elegant hotel with wonderful service in a great area of Munich should certainly consider the Hotel Opera.

Room Tip: We booked through Booking.com, but followed up directly with the hotel via email to confirm our rese...
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled as a couple
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2011

I 100% agree with the review 25 July 2011, this is a wonderful hotel. Our room was 3rd floor street facing and no noise problems over 4 night summer stay. Hotel is well presented with beautiful public areas. Staff provide friendly, responsive and excellent service. Breakfast service and area is a delight to enjoy. Lehel is a pleasant neighbourhood with great restaurants a short walk away or quick subway trip elsewhere. Would stay here again when in Munich.

• Stayed August 2011

Been to Hotel Opera? Share your experiences!