“Spectacular!” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Ranked #35 of 2,921 Restaurants in Munich
Cuisines: German, Fusion, Diner
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Between Leopoldstrasse and the English Garden, the Werneckhof receives its guests in a cozy Art-Nouveau atmosphere, with charming service and international cuisine of Japanese inspiration that boasts a Michelin star and 17 points in the Gault Millau. It is a wonderfully relaxing place of refuge for friends of fine food and drink from Munich and all around the world. There is space for up to 50 guests. The cherry tree wood corner bench extends throughout the entire room. The separee or the entire restaurant can be booked for private parties and events - yes, even for weddings: Munich's famed registry office in Mandlstrasse is very close at hand.
Barrie, Ontario
“Spectacular!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 24, 2014

Whoever lives to eat rather than eats to live deserves the chance of a dining experience such as this. To say that it was spectacular is understated. I have had the pleasure of having dined in several of the top 50 restaurants in the world, why this is not yet one of them is beyond me. Michelin, better give this place another review, an additional star is in order. Three amuse bouches might have been the initial indicator that I was in for a treat.

Signori Tucci greeted me shortly after my arrival with some of the best bread I have ever had along with his personally home made olive oil. I would have been happy just to have sat here all night and eaten the bread and this great oil, but no, I had to opt for the 9 course tasting menu, that was nothing short of incredible. Yes the plates are all small, but it does

I ordered a wonderful Gruner Veltliner Oeuvre which is seldom seen on the best of menus. The owner seemed to like it as well as his tasting glass looked pretty healthy to me. Started with a white asparagus combined with duck liver cherry blossoms and kimizu. What looked like a solid was a mouse, what appeared to be, just wasn't, and this was a common theme throughout, providing tasting surprises at every turn. The razor clams with a black garlic accent was scary good, making me think that "it can't get much better than this", but I was wrong as usual. The langoustine was - wait a minute they snuck in a langoustine broth that surely accounted for one more dish - was perfectly prepared with young pea purée and baby onions. This chef knows how to combine flavours to deliver a complex dish, dish after dish.

The codfish tasted like sea bass, accompanied by morels which I never would have thought to pair. the John Dory grilled in denmiso, had so many complex layers that it was virtually indescribable. It was simply amazing in terms of a character and signature dish. The lamb which followed was very good, but very good in terms of the totality of the experience almost made it pale in comparison. I have to confess that reaching a critical mass of endurance may have played a role in its evaluation. Fortunately a delicate ricotta with pistachio arrived to cleanse the palate preparing me for a floral delicacy, a rhubarb desert that was simply unique in terms of creativity. To top it all off Signori Tucci introduced me to a new grappa, Marolo, which was superior to my previous favorite Roccanivo. Now I will have to go back to Italy to get a bottle or two, gratie Signori!

All this just to deliver the piece de resistence prepared by my new global favorite pastry chef from of all places Sudbury Ontario. How she has risen so quickly to superstar status (at least in my books) and capable of creating a mille feuilles masterpiece is beyond me. After so many delightful plates to say that I almost licked the plate and asked for another serving should give you a glimpse as to how awe struck I was by what has to be the most appealing desert I have had in many years.

This is a culinary Mecca, chef Nakamura arigato. The next time I am in Germany I will layover in Munich just to re-engage

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Julia S, Quality Manager at Geisels Werneckhof, responded to this review, June 3, 2014
Dear donBarrie_Ontario, Thank you so much for your great and extensive review. Your praising words have been forwarded to our staff – such a positive feedback encourages further guest relation initiatives and I am sure they appreciate it. I am very pleased to hear that you enjoyed each course of your menu as well as the wine recommendation and our service. Yet, we look forward to your next visit in the hopefully near future. With best regards Julia Sprung (Quality Manager) and the team of Geisels Werneckhof

• Turkish first
“Just the right atmosphere for a very high quality gastronomic experience!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 21, 2014

From the moment we entered there was a warm, friendly yet professional upscale welcome. After we were given complimentary starters, the head chef came for a visit and promised us a wonderful meal and he is not disappoint ! All of our meals were delicious and creative. In between the courses - the maître de chatted with us, making suggestions for dessert. The evening before we went to Tantris and while we loved the food - the vibe was overly formal and stiff. I highly recommend this as a restaurant that serves a wonderful gastronomic experience with a smile and great respect for its patrons. Make a reservation!

• 5 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear Getaway1970, Guest opinion and guest satisfaction is very important to us – thank you for your words of praise. Happily I will forward your compliments to our team.
It is wonderful that you enjoyed your culinary variety and we are pleased to read that our services came to your satisfaction. Your recommendation is highly appreciated. We hope to welcoming again soon and remain with best regards Julia Sprung (Quality Manager) and the team of Geisels Werneckhof
Sutton, United Kingdom
“Fantastic Meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 19, 2014

I discovered this restaurant on the Michelin website & thought I'd give it a try as a treat for my boyfriend's birthday while we were staying in Munich. So pleased we did - the food was first class. Absolutely beautiful, imaginative dishes that tasted incredible. Friendly staff, including the head chef who came out to meet us. Fairly subdued, classy atmosphere with no nonsense decor. It's all about the food & the wine here.
Given the quality of the food, we found the prices to be fairly reasonable - compared to what you'd be likely to pay in London for food of the same standard.
Great find. Would love to have the chance to eat here again some time.

• 3 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Dear JoBuckinghanshire, what a great feedback! Thank you! It is great we could delight you with our service as well as our culinary variety and that you enjoyed your visit. I feel sorry if the design of our restaurant does not meet your taste and expectation. We hope to seeing you again soon. With best regards With best regards Julia Sprung (Quality Manager) and then team of Geisels Werneckhof
“An unbelievable treat in Munich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 18, 2014 via mobile

We chose this restaurant upon reading the other reviews in Trip Advisor. After an incredible experience, I would say words could not do it justice. You need all 5 senses to appreciate our meal at Geisels Werneckhof.
We had the Omni Tasting menu which is 9 courses with a wine pairing. It was nine courses of vibrant flavor and colors and clever plays on traditional German and Japanese preparations; one thing more delicious then the last.
The food may have only been outdone by the service. Everyone was very accommodating. The chef even came out to make sure our experience was up to the high standard they clearly have set for themselves. I could not have been more pleased with this dining experience. I wish it were in New York!

Visited May 2014
Dear Joanna C thank you for great review. With pleasure I read your very positive comment about your recent experience in our restaurant. It is wonderful that we could inspire you with culinary variety and our service. The next time you are back in Munich we are happy to seeing you again. With best regards Julia Sprung (Quality Manager) and then team of Geisels Werneckhof
New York City, New York
“Innovative food, friendly service, and cozy setting”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed April 20, 2014 via mobile

My wife and I went to dinner with friends at this excellent restaurant, having been led there by the Michelin Guide. The food is a fusion of European (particularly German) and Japanese cuisine. The combinations were inventive and excellent. The presentation of the dishes was also very good. All of us really enjoyed our meals, and the chef was kind enough to come out and speak to us. The service was friendly and precise. The wait staff was not stuffy at all, keeping the cozy, friendly, neighborhood feel to the restaurant (despite its world class cuisine). The location is in a charming neighborhood in Munich, and it is worth walking around before the meal.

Visited April 2014
Julia S, Quality Manager at Geisels Werneckhof, responded to this review, April 22, 2014
Dear LMZV, Thank you for your wonderful review and the related very positive feedback.
Good that we are able to inspire you and your friends with our culinary selection and our service. I have passed your compliments already on to the entire team. We hope to seeing you again soon. Best regards Julia Sprung (Quality Manager)and the team of Geisels Werneckhof