“Location, Room size, service, breakfast... all wonderful!” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen"

You added Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen" to your Saves list
Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen"
3.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Tal 8 | Historic Centre, 80331 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #94 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Certificate of Excellence 2014
“Location, Room size, service, breakfast... all wonderful!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2014

We were a group of 15 at this hotel. As the leader of the group, I had a chance to visit 2 other rooms (I did not see all of them). We were stunned at the large size of many rooms and their respective bathrooms! If you choose superior rooms, you will get them the size of a small apartment.
We have only good to say about the hotel and the staff. The breakfast was exceptional with so many choices on the buffet and a beautiful room. Yes, McDonald and Burger King are on either side of the hotel entrance, but that is not the hotel's fault! Nothing negative comes out of this anyway.
If you exit the hotel from the back, you immediately run into the Viktualienmarkt. Otherwise from the front, you are just next door to Marienplatz. All streets can be noisy at night in any city, so choose your room accordingly if that matters to you. I would definitely return when I have a chance.

Room Tip: Rooms on the back of the hotel are quieter Superior rooms will be very large
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Christine-Stoehr, Inhaber at Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen", responded to this review, August 3, 2014
Thank you so much for your comment, Christina

We work hard every day to make the stay at our Hotel as comfortable and pleasing as possible.

I will read your comment to all of our stuff at our daily meeting. It is a perfect motivation for all of us.

Hope to see you once again in the future.

Best wishes from Munich

Christine Stoehr & Team Schlicker

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (40)
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

I stayed here for three nights at the end of a tour to Eastern Europe, arriving from the airport by train. Exiting the station at Marienplatz, the hotel is just down the street less than a block away. I arrived around 8:30 a.m and my room was ready for me. It was long and narrow, with a single bed at one end and a desk across the other end with a window overlooking a courtyard. The bed was very comfortable. The room had no A/C, so it was a little warm for mid June, but became more comfortable later in the night. The window was open several inches and I could hear a couple men talking in the courtyard every night. Other than that, I heard no other noise. There were lots of choices for breakfast, which was included. The staff was friendly and helpful. There are many choices of restaurants in the area and I would definitely stay here again if I return to Munich.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Christine-Stoehr, Inhaber at Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen", responded to this review, August 19, 2014
Thank you very much for your comment.

I am pleased to tell you that after we finished renovation, which will be at end of August,
rooms will be equipped with aircondition.

Best wishes from Munich
Hope to see you again one time

Melbourne, Florida
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2014

This hotel is in a good location - a block from Marienplatz (and subway stops), the Viktualienmarkt, and the HofBraeuHaus. However, it also seems to be in one of the rowdiest parts of the old city, so be prepared for some noise most of the night - even with the windows closed.

The rooms and bathrooms are fine and the price is good for a location like this. Breakfast is excellent and plentiful, and the staff is very helpful and efficient. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone interested in staying in the Altstadt.

Room Tip: Rooms away from the street are quieter
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled with friends
Thank You very much for the comments,

yes its true it can be quiete noisy. The level of noise has dramatically risen in the last years.
So we plan to change all the windows facing to the street side.
We cant do anything against the noise but we try to keep it out.

Two thirds of our rooms don't have windows to the street side.

Next time please ask for a quiet room and we will be pleased to fulfill your wishes.

Best wishes to You from Munich

Washington, DC
3 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Yes, the location is central but it is exceptionally noisy, to the point where you may as well be sleeping in the middle of a rock concert. Also, bring your own toiletries as only soap is provided. Breakfast is very good.

• Stayed July 2014
So sorrry that you spent such a horrible night at our Hotel.

The noise level has dramatically risen in the the last few months.
Althoug we tried everything, seems there is nothing we can do about it.

We will change the windows for more noise isolation ones.

Two thirds of our rooms don't have window to the street side.

Christine Stöhr

Perth
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

I arrived at Hotel Schlicker very early on a Sunday morning. I only asked to store my luggage, but was very pleased and surprised to be offered a room and breakfast immediately. I booked a budget room which was quite small, but clean and perfectly adequate. I found the staff efficient and friendly (in a conservative "German" way) and happy to give advice when asked. The hotel has a small courtyard where it was nice to take a break from the street and a morning coffee. Breakfast had enough options to keep pretty much everyone happy.
I'd have no hesitation in recommending Schlicker to a traveller expecting good value for money.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
Christine-Stoehr, Inhaber at Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen", responded to this review, August 20, 2014
Thanks a lot on behalf of the entire Hotel Schlicker Team.

Hope to see you again and best wishes from Munich.

Charlotte, North Carolina
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 2, 2014

We only stayed in Hotel Schlicker for one night but I immediately fell in love with the charm of the old hotel. Once we ventured out I was so thankful for the location. You can walk to all the highlights of Marienplatz easily. The famous brew house is only two blocks away, the glockenspiel is less than a block and access to the trains is two blocks away. You really can't beat the location.

As far as accommodations, we were in room 500. They use actual keys which I think is charming, but the room was one of the ones that had been upgraded so I was impressed with the size of the bathroom and the modern feel of it. The heated towel rack was a nice touch!

Yes, it was loud. We had the windows open but after the World Cup game was over the shouts and yells woke us up so we had to close the windows. I did not notice the bells when I was sleeping, and when I was awake, I loved hearing the sounds of the city. But if you are a light sleeper, either bring some earplugs or ask for a courtyard room.

Breakfast was a large buffet but there were limited options for a vegetarian - meat EVERYWHERE. There was even bacon in the scrambled eggs, so that part was a bit disappointing.

The staff was very nice and helpful and the room was spacious for an old hotel, but you just cannot pick a better location for a stay in Marienplatz.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled as a couple
Christine-Stoehr, Inhaber at Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen", responded to this review, August 21, 2014
Thank you very much for your nice comment.

Best wishes from Munich to Charlotte, North Carolina

London, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 26, 2014

I chose this hotel because it was central and not too expensive. I was not pleased with my choice. The staff were courteous, the breakfast was great (as other reviewers have said), my bed was comfortable and quite spacious. My only complaint is that being so close to Marienplatz meant that the bells woke me at 7am each day, but there's nothing the hotel could have done about that!

Room Tip: I asked for a room at the back, as recommended by others on this website. I would recommend the same...
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Thank you very much for your comment.

Best wishes to you from Munich to London

Owner

Been to Hotel Schlicker "Zum Goldenen Loewen"? Share your experiences!