“Not a good experience” 1 of 5 stars
Review of The 4You Hostel & Hotel Munchen

Save Saved
You added The 4You Hostel & Hotel Munchen to your Saves list
The 4You Hostel & Hotel Munchen
2.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Hirtenstr. 18 | Ludwigsvorstadt, 80335 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #204 of 383 hotels in Munich
York, UK
“Not a good experience”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 5, 2009

The first thing to say is that we stayed here during Oktoberfest, which may in some way explain our experience. On the plus side it was really close to the station and also walking distance to the Oktoberfest site and the main town centre and tourist sites. Unfortunately that is the only positive thing to say. We had a two person room, which was two tiny bunk beds and a table and chair. It was reminiscent of being in a ship's cabin. The room was not particularly clean, but that was nothing compared to the toilet and shower areas which were FILTHY. I think a lot of it was due to people being really drunk and 'making a mess' of the bathrooms (I'll not elaborate but you get the picture) but they stayed like that until well into the next day without being cleaned up. It was also really noisy which you do expect in a hostel to some degree, but this was unbearable. As I say some of this might be explained by it being Oktoberfest, but the standard of cleanliness was really poor. If we'd managed to get a cheap place during Oktoberfest you could probably live with it but given we'd paid 98 euro a night for the experience it made it all the more unpleasant.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple

200 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Turkish first
Los Angeles, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

I stayed in a 6-bed female dorm for 4 nights. Room was nice and got good light. Medium sized - just enough room for the beds and people's stuff. There was a personal light above each bed. Bathrooms were decent, pretty clean and never felt crowded (but I tend to shower late at night). Lockers in the room were nice and big. I was on the 5th floor which got a bit annoying as there is one small elevator. But there are stairs as an option. Oh and noise from the basement bar didn't carry.

Check in is 24/7, but late at night, the desk person is sometimes away for a few minutes at a time at night. Oh and you give up your room key whenever you leave the building. They sell cheap beer at the counter and other stuff. Free WiFi and there are two Internet stations by the reception that are decently priced. There is supposed to be a large internet cafe nearby but I never found it. Oh and a free tour of the city starts at the hotel (and then walks to the center of town).

Love having the free breakfast. The usual German breakfast - breads, cheeses, weird meat products, juice, eggs, muesli, cereal, jams and yes, nutella. Very filling.

Super close, as in about 3 blocks, to the Hauptbahnhof (main train station) and the S-Bahn (including both lines to the airport) and U-Bahn trains in there. Probably about 20 minutes walk to the center of Munich or you can take public transit. Oh and the Hauptbahnhof has lots of places to eat which I really appreciated.

Overall a well priced choice that I was happy with.

Stayed June 2009, traveled solo
NS
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 26, 2009

My boyfriend and I stayed here twice- the first and last days of our backpacking trip through Europe. It was basic but decent (not sure about cleanliness) and we were okay with staying a second night later on. The breakfast was great and having free internet was very convenient. The location was excellent- very close to the main train station and S-bahn station, as well as the old city. The first day was much better than the second- we were given a private double room with private bathroom and the floor was quiet. Our second night was terrible... We were stuck with a shared bathroom and our double room had sketchy bunk beds- the top did not look secure and the bottom had boards falling out. We ended up putting the mattresses on the floor and sleeping that way. The girl at check-in gave us a key to a 'private' bathroom (usually reserved for leaders of groups who stay in the hostel) - but it was filthy (not to mention it was not private as other guests were given the key). The check-in/out policy is also questionable... We arrived in Munich after an overnight transAtlantic flight but were told to sit and wait until 3 pm so we could check in... a wait of about 5 hours. Check out seems to be rather early at 10 am... If you're okay with cheap accommodations that are "get what you pay for" then it may be okay.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
England
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2009

This is one of the best youth hostels I've stayed in. Right next to the station so really easy to find and convenient for early starts, and a 30 minute walk to the centre of Munich along one of the main shopping streets. Our dorm had comfy beds and individual lockers included which were big enough to fit huge rucksacks in and the bathroom shared between other dorms was OK and clean though the showers weren't great (small cubicles, only a plastic curtain and communal changing area). Breakfast was good with quite a wide variety, the internet was cheap to use and there was also a secure luggage room. Also, when we checked in we were told that because we'd booked online we had unlimited happy hour in the bar which we took advantage of! The bar was really good for meeting other people and prices reasonable too :)

• Stayed July 2009, traveled with friends
virginia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 24, 2009

My husband and I stayed in a private twin room with shared bathroom. The room was decent but the showers were horrible. There was 3 showers in the females area and only 1 worked. The shower temp wasn't good and neither was the water pressure. However we had a great time in the bar downstairs. The pizza was cheap and very good. The bartender was awesome and also we cheaper beer. It was nice to have the HB brand beer there for 4 Euros instead of 7 at the actually HB. The breakfast buffet in the morning was included in the hostel price but it wasn't very good. The location of the hostel was very close to the train station and was great walking to the main square. All and all I would stay again.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple
Singapore, Singapore
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 14, 2008

My 3-night stay at this hostel was pretty nice. I was given a cosy single room on the top floor (5th) and it came cabled with cnn. Internet is available in the lobby via two pc stations at 2.50 Euros per hour and a pint of beer costs only 2 Euros from either the recep lobby or basement bar.

Breakfast was okay though I wished they would replenish on the salami and ham more frequently. The only elevator in the building could do with a little more speed. The mega TV, pool table, and plenty of couches in the recreation room were nice. I had some time to spare before heading to the airport so I hung out here for a bit, and the recep was nice enough to suggest that I store my backpack and all in their designated luggage room for security even though I have officially checked outta my room.

Indeed, the recep ladies were friendly and one of them (not entirely sure but think her name was Patricia) was particularly helpful. I was also allowed an 11am checkout even though the norm is 10am. Wonderfully close proximity to the Hauptbahnhof is unbeatable.

Perhaps the only thing that kinda annoyed me was that they had charged my room fee to my card even before my stay was up, and I had intended to pay for it by cash.

• Stayed December 2008, traveled solo
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Basingstoke, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 18, 2008

We stayed in the hotel section which is on the upper floors of the Hostel/Hotel.

Great location - just around the corner from the central train station and a short walk from the city centre. Very easy access from the airport.

When we arrived there were people smoking on the steps leading to the entrance and reception area, and there were usually people smoking on the steps - it seemed they didn't have a designated smoking area.

Check-in/check-out was quick and the staff were friendly and efficient. There was lots of information available about the area and tours.

There is a lift, although a bit on the slow side. Stairs leading to the floors were a bit grubby and in need of some refurbishing. On a couple of occasions we found other guests sitting on the stairs having conversations, and not seeming willing to move.

Breakfast is served in the basement and really is one of the better selections I've had in a long time. A huge selection of food is available including hot and cold drinks. Breakfast is available until 10am, so great if you've had a late night! The eating area was very clean and spacious.

The room was okay - the beds were comfortable and the bathroom was a decent size. Like the rest of the hotel, the room was in need of refurbishing. Everything was clean, just dated.

The walls between rooms and the corridor were quite thin and there was a lot of noise from the street outside (even though we were on the forth floor).

There's a small selection of drinks available from reception - if you don't fancy the basement bar.

Recycling is encouraged throughout the hotel. The rooms had separate bins for recycling. If you buy some bottled drinks from reception and return the empty bottle, you get some money back!

I didn't spend much time in the hotel - literally only used for breakfast and sleeping, so if you want budget accommodation in a central location, this hotel is good.

• Liked — Location and Breakfast
  • Disliked — Smell of smoke in reception area and communal stairs
  • Stayed October 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk

Been to The 4You Hostel & Hotel Munchen? Share your experiences!