“Nice hotel” 4 of 5 stars

Ranked #129 of 383 hotels in Munich
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Spent just one night here in Dec 2012. The hotel staff were very friendly, and they kindly gave me free Internet access after a bit of 'wheedling'. The rooms were small but clean. There is a good German bakery next door, and a Greek restaurant a few doors away. Frequent trams to the city centre are just 2 minutes' walk from the hotel, taking less than 10 minutes to the centre. It's a well-located hotel if you are visiting an event at the Olympiapark or Olympiahalle, as I was! It's about 20-25 minutes' walk to the stadiums - but I recommend that you take the main roads (Spiridon-Louis Ring or Dachauerstrasse) to reach them if it is after dark, as I got completely lost in dark fields! Overall, a good hotel and I would recommend it.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

334 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
  • Arabic first
  • Polish first
Pune, India
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 20, 2012

This is a very comfortable Hotel and located in a queit area of Munich with very good local transportation connectivity. The Leonrodplatz tram station is a short walk away and from there it is possible to take a tram to the Moosach U Bahn station to catch the U3 and have connectivity across Munich. The Bus stops are also right next to the Hotel. My room was on the 4th floor and the only problem is that the lift only goes till 3rd floor. This means carrying your bags, laptop etc through the flight of stairs and if you have heavy baggage, it could be a problem. You may want to request a room on the lower floors if you have heavy bags. The room was very clean and comfortable, with an iPod doc and coffee maker etc along with a sofa bed which was helpful as my son was with us. Breakfast is good but on the higher side in terms of costs (16 Euro per person per day, but free for the child). You may want to consider having breakfast at the cafe's nearby. Overall, a good and comfortable Hotel that I would recommend for a few days stay at Munich and would myself also go back to again next time in Munich.

Room Tip: Avoid the 4th floor if you have heavy luggage with you. If you have an early morning flight to catch...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
London
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2012

I stayed here on a recent business trip. As usual Munich was busy and this was the closest I could get to where I needed to be and where we had a company rate. I was working at the Arabella Park so a quick walk to the tram station and then a change to the underground worked very well. The trip took about 30 mins.
Breaksfast was not included in my rate, so I can't comment on that. However, there was a bakery a couple of doors down which served hot drinks to take out and of course the fab array of Germany rolls and breads, etc.
The hotel does not serve dinner, but there were a few restraurants in the vecinity (Germany, Italian, Indian, Greek). So all in all convenient.
I had a premium room which didn't seem anything special, but having read other reviews I guess the main difference was the size. So good size room with a double bed, good ward robe space, but lack of drawers; tv, coffee machine, radio alarm, bathrobe, slippers, etc.
The bathroom was compact, but had a good shower that kept an even temperature (always a positive). It had a good amount shelf space to put your stuff on (I hate it if there is nowhere to put down your toiletry bag or make up bag, etc.).
The room had a full size mirror (yes, another obsession of mine - sort of important when you need to look decent in the office).
The one downside to the room was the fact that there was a connecting door to the next room. I am extremly noise sensitive and yes, noise intolerant. During the first night I woke up when my neighbour returned to his room. He obviously did a phone call, before doing his a ablutions and then thankully going to bed promptly. I felt quite put off by this unexpected "intimacy". I am sure he thought likewise when I got up at the crack of dawn the next day.
I spoke to reception who were very polite and apologetic about it. They weren't able to offer me another room as the hotel was full. They appreciated the feedback and said that the hotel is due for a refit some time soon and that it is always good to get feedback like this.
The next two nights, I have to admit, I didn't hear anything, probably partially because I used ear plugs when I went to bed, but maybe I just had a more quiet neighbour. Who knows?
So all in all a very convenient and good hotel, but I do hope that they will get rid of those connecting doors.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
London, United Kingdom
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

It turns out they outsource the night shift to a temp agency and guess what, they cant care less about it.

We arrived at 1:30 am after a 6 hours drive from Italy and the temp receptionist was extremely rude. To not make it too long: I booked the room only because they said they have a garage, they do, but she said there were no places. Didnt offer any alternative, told her I didnt know any German, so asked her if she could help us to find a parking place, she refused. Asked her if I find a parking outside the city, whether she could call a taxi to get us back to the hotel to avoid the language problems so late in the night, again refused claiming "that would be dodgy". She said she had things to do and walked away from us without any explanation or help.

I woke up very early to move the car and avoid troubles and went directly to complain with the morning receptionist, she revealed the night staff was temp as the night porter was on holidays. Her offer of help/compensation was to charge me half price for a visitors parking permit so i could park in the street (she said the night person could have offered it as well, but errr, didnt), I felt insulted when she didnt want to reveal the name of the night shift lady (claiming she didnt know!!!), the manager was too busy in the computer even though he overheard the conversation. I felt a racism attitude and discrimination attitude overall (as Im not white anglo-saxon) and decided to leave the place before I got furious.

I will never ever return to this chain/franchise, I rather sleep in the road under the rain, the experience put me off completely with Accor Group. In fact, I'll even be surprised if they care to read the review and contact me to clear it here on TA.

As to rate the rest, well the rooms were under the average for the 99 euros price tag, didnt stay for breakfast, the hotel structure overall looked average, but with that service, it makes it the worst night outside my home I've ever had.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with friends
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 12, 2012

I stayed here for 2 nights on business. The hotel is clean and the staff are very friendly. My room was on the 4th floor, the layout is a bit quirky and I had to take the lift to the 3rd floor and walk up the stairs to the 4th floor, not easy with my suitcase, laptop and handbag! The room was twin beds with single duvets (common in Germany) it was very clean and quiet and I had no complaints. There is no minibar which is a shame, but there is a complimentary bottle of sparkling water. The room was quiet and the beds were comfy. There is a bar on the ground floor but no restaurant. There is a family run Greek restaurant just next door and it is very reasonable, with a good selection of food and good service. Breakfast is basic hot food consists of boiled eggs, scrambled eggs, bacon and sausages kept warm on a hot plate. There is a selection of breads, meat and cheese. Some cereals and yoghurt. It's not bad, but it won't knock your socks off :) There is a tram stop at the end of the road so it's easy to get into town.

Room Tip: If you get a room on the 4th floor you will have to carry your bags up the stairs. The lift only goe...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business

Been to Mercure Hotel Munchen am Olympiapark? Share your experiences!