“Outstanding hotel in great location” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #2 of 386 Hotels in Munich
McKinney, Texas
“Outstanding hotel in great location”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 27, 2014

I have stayed here twice now, and on both occasions, I had a great room and the staff were all incredible. The bellmen were all outstanding- very helpful with our car rental and generous with the bottled water; the room was luxurious and well-appointed with all the modern conveniences- the housekeeping girl did a great job anticipating our needs- water and fruit were replaced daily, and extra pillows supplied. The concierge was very helpful with directions; he even showed us a store to buy Oktoberfest outfits at a great value just down the street from the hotel. Breakfast buffet was wonderful- well stocked with a number of choices for different tastes- and the staff and manager were excellent. There is a restaurant on the rooftop terrace overlooking the Hofbrau Haus next door- the Asian cuisine there was delicious, too. Again the service was great despite the crowd watching the World Cup there. The hotel has a great location in the center of town- again it is next door to the Hofbrau Haus. It is only a 5-10 minute walk to most attractions, like the Glockenspiel/ Marienplatz, or the Residenz/ Opera House in the other direction.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled with family
MOMUCMunich, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, July 30, 2014
Dear Bob-and-Mila,
Thank you for taking the time to share your kind words about our hotel. It is a pleasure to learn how much you appreciated our services and enjoyed your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich. We are looking forward to your return visit in the near future.
Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (69)
Newcastle, NSW
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

Spent 6 days in Munich for a business meeting. Beautifully restored and furnished building with extremely comfortable room. Exceptional service in the restaurant for breakfast and room service with a smile. Great location for CBD and shopping. Cannot say enough about the staff; the concierge who got me tickets to BMW world at short notice, receptionist who got me a drink from the bar when my room was not ready, porter who gave me directions for jogging and walking. Would undoubtedly stay there again.

• Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
MOMUCMunich, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, July 17, 2014
Dear sr08,
Thank you for staying with us and for posting your kind words on TripAdvisor. I am thrilled to learn that you had an enjoyable stay at our hotel and appreciated our services. We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again soon to Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
Tel-Aviv
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 10, 2014

My wife and i stayed at Munich Mandarin Oriental three nights from 29 June to 2nd July 2014. Our stay couldn't be better. The reception, the rooms, the service and the readiness to help made our visit a pleasure. We recommend this hotel warmly. It reminded us somewhat of the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok, to us - the epitome of hospitality.

Dina and Abraham ben-Naftali

Room Tip: Rooms are well isolated from noise.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MOMUCMunich, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, July 16, 2014
Dear Abraham B,
Many thanks for your great comment. It makes us happy to learn that you enjoyed your stay that much and that you appreciated our service from the heart. We are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at Mandarin Oriental, Munich in the near future.
Abu Dhabi, United Arab Emirates
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2014

We normally stay at a competitor and have done so for years. This time we chose the Mandarin Oriental in Munich and it was certainly worth the switch. Unfortunately it was only a short stay of one night - would have loved to stay longer to experience the hotel even more.

Extremely friendly welcome at the door and reception with pleasant interaction. It did not matter that the check in process took some time as we were well taken care of. The suite we had was very nice, large and is fitted with B&O TVs and Bose iPod Station. Superb! The beds are over comfortable with luxury bed linen and oversized duvets. An early post here mentioned that the pillows are too large… well I loved them. What is real nice in the room is that there are plenty of power sockets around including built in ones at the bed’s headboard - never a problem to charge your many devices these days. The bathroom is well appointed and has a great shower with separate WC. The shoe trees although not used this time - are a very elegant touch.

Breakfast is great and caters to everyone. There is nothing missing and all of quality standard. huge cheese selection. Eggs come from the kitchen and are well prepared. Outstanding, friendly and professional waitress (Priscilla?).

The quality of the hardware is great and what is expected from a MO with some extra touches that add to the quality, but what certainly stood out during this visit was the friendly and very professional staff.

Will return.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled with family
MOMUCMunich, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear z_tromi,
On behalf of the entire Mandarin Oriental, Munich team I would like to thank you for sharing such delightful remarks about your recent stay at our hotel. It is with great pleasure that I have read your comments regarding our suite amenities and the quality of our breakfast. I will make sure to share your kind words regarding the level of service and the professionalism of our staff with my team. Once again I would like to thank you for taking the time to share your marvelous review and we are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again at Mandarin Oriental, Munich in the near future.
Monaco
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I have stayed in many 5 Star hotels in the world. This must count as of the top Hotels on my list. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The decor of the room is warm and friendly with everything one needs. I was very surprised to find wooden shoe tree for women and men and an exercise mat.Very nice and useful touch. Every day we got fresh fruits in the room which is not usual in other hotels. Another very nice touch was that while we where waiting in the lobby the waiter come up and offered us a glass of water 'free'
The Hotel is very well located and one can walk to almost all places within the centre of Munich. It also has a lovely rooftop where one can enjoy a drink and enjoy a 180 degrees panoramic view of Munich.
Excellent high-speed internet connection. Will definitely come back

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
Dear Concordia,
What a lovely comment! We highly appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions of the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. Thank you also for mentioning the amenities in your room and your visit to our China Moon Roof Terrace; we are delighted to hear that have you enjoyed your stay!
My team and I are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

For me personally this hotel was disappointing relative to the handful of other Mandarins I've been to (New York, San Francisco, Vegas). That's not to say that the hotel is somehow substandard or not of the quality you'd expect of a Mandarin, but several things bugged me about this one, namely:

1. Terrible value for money, the least impressive room of the ones I've been to for the highest price.

2. Room was really just average, and the bed wasn't particularly comfortable. There were a number of odd things about the room that weren't ideal including a) Excessively large pillows (and just one per bed) that I found uncomfortable, b) the least comfortable / most poorly designed toilet I've ever encountered, c) the most awkward taps, as if they were designed to be annoying to turn, d) very slow curtain which can only be moved electronically, e) needlessly complicated electronics / lights system.

3. 18 euro for 24 hours of internet access? This is beyond scandalous in my opinion, I think hotels that charge for internet are just behind the times. I had not paid for internet at other Mandarins and this was an unpleasant surprise. To be fair, after complaining to the front desk this fee was waived, but I don't think I should have been put in a position to have to complain in the first place.

Having said that, the hotel is certainly in good shape, the service is good (the concierge were able to organize a rental car for me and were very good about it, even calling my mobile and leaving a voicemail when they identified an option) and the location is ideal. I would imagine there must be better options however and would look to stay elsewhere on my next visit to Munich.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear RamblingR,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share the impressions of your recent stay in the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. I am very sorry to hear that the given room did not live up to your expectations; I apologize for the inconveniences caused to you. It is also with regret to hear that you did not find our mattresses comfortable; I would like to point out that we offer softer mattresses as well which can be requested upon booking.
In regards to your remark about the charges for the internet access, I would like to inform you about the possibility to receive complimentary high speed internet through creating an online profile when booking a published rate on our website. Additionally our Suite Package also includes internet access.
I am delighted to hear that you have appreciated the level of service as well as our central location; I hope that your impression of the hotel can be enhanced with returning to the Mandarin Oriental, Munich in the near future. Once again thank you for sharing your comments; we highly appreciate your honesty.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Lovely location, walking distance to practically everything in the old city. Room was big with very high ceilings. Lovely large bathroom with every convenience you could want.

Great roof top terrace and pool with amazing 360 degree view of the city and mountains. Great to hear the brass band music wafting up from the Hofbrauhaus next door!!

We also enjoyed the small steam/sauna area, which perhaps is only big enough for two, but beautifully designed.

But what sets this hotel apart from the rivals is the service. From the waiters (special mention for Niko and Priscilla who were so brilliant at breakfast), to the turn down service, every small detail has been thought about and you actually get the feeling the staff DO care! This level of care really makes the MO very special.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear cardinalg,
Thank you for your kind words and for choosing Mandarin Oriental, Munich for your stay in the Bavarian capital. It is a delight to hear that you have enjoyed your time spent in the hotel and on the China Moon Roof Terrace, with its unique view over the city. What makes us even happier is to read your lovely review about the attentive and caring service; we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Munich? Share your experiences!