“Exelent” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #2 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Monaco
“Exelent”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

I have stayed in many 5 Star hotels in the world. This must count as of the top Hotels on my list. The staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The decor of the room is warm and friendly with everything one needs. I was very surprised to find wooden shoe tree for women and men and an exercise mat.Very nice and useful touch. Every day we got fresh fruits in the room which is not usual in other hotels. Another very nice touch was that while we where waiting in the lobby the waiter come up and offered us a glass of water 'free'
The Hotel is very well located and one can walk to almost all places within the centre of Munich. It also has a lovely rooftop where one can enjoy a drink and enjoy a 180 degrees panoramic view of Munich.
Excellent high-speed internet connection. Will definitely come back

• Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
MOMUCMunich, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 25, 2014
Dear Concordia,
What a lovely comment! We highly appreciate you taking the time to share your impressions of the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. Thank you also for mentioning the amenities in your room and your visit to our China Moon Roof Terrace; we are delighted to hear that have you enjoyed your stay!
My team and I are looking forward to the pleasure of welcoming you again to Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (66)
London, England
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

For me personally this hotel was disappointing relative to the handful of other Mandarins I've been to (New York, San Francisco, Vegas). That's not to say that the hotel is somehow substandard or not of the quality you'd expect of a Mandarin, but several things bugged me about this one, namely:

1. Terrible value for money, the least impressive room of the ones I've been to for the highest price.

2. Room was really just average, and the bed wasn't particularly comfortable. There were a number of odd things about the room that weren't ideal including a) Excessively large pillows (and just one per bed) that I found uncomfortable, b) the least comfortable / most poorly designed toilet I've ever encountered, c) the most awkward taps, as if they were designed to be annoying to turn, d) very slow curtain which can only be moved electronically, e) needlessly complicated electronics / lights system.

3. 18 euro for 24 hours of internet access? This is beyond scandalous in my opinion, I think hotels that charge for internet are just behind the times. I had not paid for internet at other Mandarins and this was an unpleasant surprise. To be fair, after complaining to the front desk this fee was waived, but I don't think I should have been put in a position to have to complain in the first place.

Having said that, the hotel is certainly in good shape, the service is good (the concierge were able to organize a rental car for me and were very good about it, even calling my mobile and leaving a voicemail when they identified an option) and the location is ideal. I would imagine there must be better options however and would look to stay elsewhere on my next visit to Munich.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled solo
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, July 7, 2014
Dear RamblingR,
Thank you so much for taking the time to share the impressions of your recent stay in the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. I am very sorry to hear that the given room did not live up to your expectations; I apologize for the inconveniences caused to you. It is also with regret to hear that you did not find our mattresses comfortable; I would like to point out that we offer softer mattresses as well which can be requested upon booking.
In regards to your remark about the charges for the internet access, I would like to inform you about the possibility to receive complimentary high speed internet through creating an online profile when booking a published rate on our website. Additionally our Suite Package also includes internet access.
I am delighted to hear that you have appreciated the level of service as well as our central location; I hope that your impression of the hotel can be enhanced with returning to the Mandarin Oriental, Munich in the near future. Once again thank you for sharing your comments; we highly appreciate your honesty.
London, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 12, 2014

Lovely location, walking distance to practically everything in the old city. Room was big with very high ceilings. Lovely large bathroom with every convenience you could want.

Great roof top terrace and pool with amazing 360 degree view of the city and mountains. Great to hear the brass band music wafting up from the Hofbrauhaus next door!!

We also enjoyed the small steam/sauna area, which perhaps is only big enough for two, but beautifully designed.

But what sets this hotel apart from the rivals is the service. From the waiters (special mention for Niko and Priscilla who were so brilliant at breakfast), to the turn down service, every small detail has been thought about and you actually get the feeling the staff DO care! This level of care really makes the MO very special.

• Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear cardinalg,
Thank you for your kind words and for choosing Mandarin Oriental, Munich for your stay in the Bavarian capital. It is a delight to hear that you have enjoyed your time spent in the hotel and on the China Moon Roof Terrace, with its unique view over the city. What makes us even happier is to read your lovely review about the attentive and caring service; we certainly look forward to welcoming you back to Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014 via mobile

Mandarin Oriental

We had a two night stay here on a balmy June weekend (room 514). The hotel is centrally located in a quiet street, so traffic noise is not an issue. The room was large and had an excellent spacious bathroom, with modern shower and heated floor. It was air-conditioned, which was a good job given the outside temperature of 33C when we stayed. The mattress was quite firm, but I slept well enough. Unlike so many hotels, there are multiple electrical sockets at desk level, so you do not have to go hunting around on the floor trying to find somewhere to recharge your phone. Room lighting was also good, making it easy to read if desired. Wi-fi was fast, though weirdly it logs you off if you do not use it for a while, which seems pointless. Some small nice touches - the wardrobe had a tie rack, and even shoe trees.

There is a small gym on the ground floor with just a pair of cross-trainers and two treadmills, with a few free weights. The jewel of the hotel is the rooftop China bar, a charming little outdoor seating area serving quite expensive drinks and decent snacks (some Asian dishes but also salads, bratwurst and even some Lebanese food). There is a separate Michelin starred restaurant that we did not try. The rooftop bar has 360 degree views over the city of Munich, and is a pretty (and popular) location for a drink on a sunny day. Staff at the hotel were uniformly excellent. When you check in you are not just handed a key but are escorted to your room, and the concierge service was good. The hotel is hard to fault.

Stayed June 2014, traveled as a couple
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 18, 2014
Dear Andy Hayler,
Thank you very much for your review; I highly appreciate you taking the time to share your experiences and thoughts about the Mandarin Oriental Munich. We are delighted to hear that the Mandarin Room was to your liking and that the facilities have met your all-round needs. I apologize for any inconvenience caused by the Wi-Fi system; in order to ensure secure internet usage for our guests repeat login is necessary after a while of inactivity.
Hearing such lovely compliments for our China Moon Roof Terrace regarding the food and beverage selection, the view and especially the atmosphere is always a great pleasure and I would like to thank you for it. I will be sure to share your remark about the excellent level of service with my team. We are looking forward to welcoming you again to our hotel or any other Mandarin Oriental property.
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 9, 2014

We were there with friends. The vie from the terrasse is spectacular. The prises are above the tourist average. But it is poche place. Beautiful furniture. Centrally located. Many foreign tourists (maybe too Many ?)

Stayed June 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Luigi M,
Thank you so much for your kind words and for sharing your recent experience in the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. It is a pleasure to hear that you have enjoyed the view of China Moon Roof Terrace, as well as the design. Welcoming you again at the hotel or at any other Mandarin Oriental property would be a delight and we are looking forward to it.
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2014

Brilliant and convenient location with outstandingly friendly staff who could not have been more helpful. Easy walk to everywhere you would want in the city. Our room and bathroom were lovely. It did face the car park, but Munich is a low rise city with small streets and little water to view. They are building a new addition to the hotel according to their website and it will be where the car park is now- so soon to be a building works view.

Positives-
1) The concierge organised a hire car (for us to drive to the castles for a day trip) to be dropped at the hotel and picked up by Europecar- Brilliant. It was so convenient and easy in every way. I cannot speak too highly of this service.
2) I found the bed to be hard, rang house-keeping and they fixed it with a bed topper straight away. Excellent.
3) When we were leaving early one morning, the waiter in the breakfast room offered to give us a take-away coffee and a bread basket or some sandwiches to go because we hadn't had long- amazing service.
4) There is a brand new gym. 2 cross trainers, 3 treadmills, 2 bikes and hand weights.

And now for the 1 small negative-
1) The concierge said he would book the hotel restaurant for us for our last night. We showed up and there was no booking. The lady at the restaurant reception had an altercation with the manager out of listening distance, but in full sight (gesticulating madly in our direction) and so we left. The concierge rang the room and apologised. saying the restaurant was fully booked, but they would fit us in. No thanks. We ordered room service and they didn't charge it. It was strange!

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
MOMUCMunich, General Manager at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 6, 2014
Dear Tania_Chr,
What a wonderful comment! Thank you for posting your experience at our hotel. Even though you enjoyed your stay at our hotel and were happy with our services I am so sorry about the misunderstanding with the restaurant reservation. This is certainly not the usual standard we handle bookings and I apologize for the inconveniences caused. I am glad to learn that this incident has not tarnished your image of Mandarin Oriental Hotel Group and I look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you again to our hotel.
Kingston-upon-Thames
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2014

My wife and I stayed in Mandarin Oriental Munich for four nights from May 29 (Room 509) and the whole experience was excellent from check in to departure. This is simply the very best hotel we have ever stayed in and we’ve travelled extensively. From the Mandarin Bar on the ground floor to Mark’s restaurant on the first level and the China Moon roof terrace the quality of the attention and service received was outstanding.
The food in Mark’s is what we expected from a Michelin starred restaurant but our evening there was spoiled to an extent by an adjacent table having a baby with them and the baby hardly stopped crying during the course of our meal. Of course it is accepted that babies cry but to be honest I do not expect to be paying Mark’s prices to be sharing the experience from the next table. Perhaps the hotel could look at its policy and certainly some of our favourite albeit expensive restaurants for special occasions in the UK have ‘no children under 9 and no mobile phones’ policies which are enforced.
The personalised attention throughout our stay was faultless and sets the standards for other hotels to aspire to. The employees are all Triple A. I will not go through a list of names because it would start to sound like an embarrassing Oscar acceptance speech and I will inevitably forget some which wouldn’t be fair. They are all standouts but I’ll make one exception and that’s to Sebastian who manages the China Moon Roof Terrace where we relaxed in the late afternoons. Sebastian made our sessions there enjoyable and memorable.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled as a couple
Dear alanabird,
Thank you very much for taking your time to share your impressions on your recent visit at Mandarin Oriental, Munich. It makes us happy that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated our high service standard. Thank you also for awarding our employees with a Triple A and for mentioning Sebastian’s outstanding service. It is, however, regrettable that you have been disturbed by a crying baby during your dinner at Mark’s. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the inconveniences caused to you and your wife. This incident will be taken as an opportunity to review our policy in this respect. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you again to our hotel in the near future.
Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Munich? Share your experiences!