“Just Doesn't Get Any Better” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Daily Dining / Spa Credit
Ranked #1 of 383 hotels in Munich
North East, Pennsylvania
“Just Doesn't Get Any Better”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Great room, absolutely hugh.
Extremely competent and friendly service.
The drink and snack items in the room fridge were included in the room price.
When leaving, we were offered complimentary bottles of water by the doorman, a nice touch.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 11, 2013
Dear R K,
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience at our hotel. These few words make me and my team very happy and there is no better reward than our guests’ contentment. We await your next visit in the near future.
Kind regards,

468 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (51)
Sydney
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 6, 2013

Its the old story, the people make the hotel or the airline and its particularly true of this property. The location of the hotel is just wonderful and the building itself is delightful renovated older building. Our suite was large, well furnished and well maintained. There is a very nice roof top pool and bar. Breakfast was very, very good and the bar in the lobby very pleasant with an excellent bar tender,

It is however the staff that made our stay so enjoyable. Happy, skilled and professional people doing a job that they seem to genuinely enjoy. From the front of house through to concierge, house keeping and restaurant, all faultless. Cannot stress enough how delightful they were and good humoured. Would stay again for sure.

Dear SydneyAlan,
Thank you for your kind compliments about the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. You are making a most beautiful recommendation of our roof top bar and staff. On behalf of the team, I would like to let you know how much we all appreciate it.
It will be a pleasure to welcoming you again in our hotel soon.
Best regards,
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 4, 2013

Upon our arrival in the afternoon we had to wait for our room to be ready, so they offered us a round of complimentary beverages while we waited, which was very much appreciated after a full day of travel. Our room was perfect. The beds were quite comfy. The bathrobes are very luxurious! Loved the shower & tub too(even provides bath salts to use)! We stayed in 206, and had no noise problems as previously mentioned in another review. An excellent night sleep both nights we were there. Breakfast was very good; however it took a very very long time to get the eggs/omelettes we ordered(breakfast took more than an hour of our time).The roof deck is quite spectacular! Amazing views, and a wonderful waiter made for a very memorable evening. A must see at sunset! The pianist at the piano bar was incredibly talented. We really enjoyed him; he played for the entire 2 hours we were there without stopping. The gym was quite small, but we made due. The concierge was quite helpful. And due to the inclement weather we had, upon our departure they gave us two umbrellas to take with us, which was very much appreciated! Overall an excellent experience, but I do feel it is quite expensive. We stayed in several equivalent 5 star hotels throughout our Europe trip, and this was,by far, the most expensive of all of them; definitely overpriced!

Stayed May 2013, traveled as a couple
Dear Terri A,
On behalf of the entire team, I would like to thank you for sharing such fantastic and nice comments about our hotel. We are delighted to learn how much you appreciated your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich through your Europa trip. We are hoping and looking forward to welcoming you again in Munich soon.
LAS + CPH
4 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2013

Spent 3 days in Munich in May. Been to munich before several times, but first attempt at staying at the Mandarin in Munich. Have some previous Mandarin experience. My review will be balanced on the location, price, quality (perceived), quality (realised) and overall comparison to similar chains.

The good.
As others have mentioned the location is very very good. Right behind Maximillianstrasse, and all the shopping venues you could possibly wish for. The room I was issued (Mandarin Room) was handsomely sized at - approx 50m2. Very high ceilings and beautiful hardwood floors. I had roomservice 3 times, which in each case had good quality food - and the room service prices were very fair for Munich and the type of hotel. The (albeit limited) minibar was included in the price, which is fairly rare in the bigger luxe chains. The room electronics worked well and the massive B&O LCD was excellent as was the entertainment system interface. I especially liked the snappiness of the entertainment system and the language search feature (so you don't have to trawl thru 89 german channels if you don't understand a word of german).

Now for the not so great. While I respect that this property was fairly recently renovated there is a few things that puzzle me. The carpet in the lobby - is just ghastly. It resembles a las vegas casino carpet form the 1980's. The building is so classy. The rooms are classy - why is the lobby and reception/bar area so weirdly laid out? When you enter the lobby you are first greeted by a colum in the middle of the room - the lobby is oddly shaped and the bar is a weird appendage to the room. In the middle there's a large empty space - and a tiny reception desk. Just makes no sense to me. I understand that the building has a certain age and can not be altered greatly, but surely, colour, composition and furniture placement can be improved ?

Upon booking I had a weird experience. I email the front desk asking for a late check-out (especially considering I arrived at midnight, not an unreasonable request). They return to me - saying that they are really busy on my check-out date and can offer me a 2pm check-out time. OK, I ask - can we do 4pm ? (I know - stretching it - but most luxe places can make it work) - They return - oh no - way too busy. OK -I say - i'll take 2pm. They then offer me a 4pm check-out if I want to pay an additional 300+ euros. What? Either they are busy - no problem. But how can they offer a late check-out at a 300 euro expense if the room is booked for someone else?

Upon arriving (late) we experienced, no bell-boys, no concierge, 1 reception lady. Hauling bags in our selves, we were then offered a free drink in the bar - on the arrival day. As I was not really in the mood for guzzling booze at midnight after flying in, I asked - "hey - thanks for the offer - much appreciated - but would you mind if do that tomorrow?" - Obviously the poor girl in reception did not expect that question - and their script was not prepared for it. Uhmm... I don't know... Wow - really ? A front desk receptionist can't make a what - 10 euro decision ? - I let the poor girl off the hook and said, fine - no problem - just let us know tomorrow. Of course no one ever did. While a couple of free drinks is hardly a major parameter while spending 700 euros a night, it shows lack in the training - and even worse - no ability to follow up.

Interestingly the elevators did not have key card controls - I actually found that a bit odd considering that we several times experienced no front desk staff at the bellboy stand. The layout of the reception area means that a nicely dressed motivated individual can go directly into the elevators without being seen by the reception staff. Of course i'm sure the whole place is covered in CCTV, but I noticed it, and i'm sure other travellers did as well.

The bellboy stand was a spectacle in itself. Varied wildly. The concierge with the clefs d' Or was in that area from time to time, and service was tight and quick. When the two bellboys were there (when they were there) - seemed confused and stressed out. Service ranged from obnoxious (Yes, I can order a cab to Arabellestrasse without them asking the taxi driver 4 times if he's sure where it is - he knows. I know. You don't). At least one of the gents did not have neither english or german as his first language, and was very hard to understand. At one point (early in the stay) I was even asked for a room number before he wanted to give me an umbrella. Really? At other times, it was quick and simple. I guess staff experience varied greatly.

Regarding the rooms - as mentioned above - they were over all great. I do however agree with the other reviewer who called the bathrooms grotesque. I do agree. I was aware of it though - having trawled thru numerous tripadvisor pictures to ascertain the bathroom configuration. The marble is to be quite honest - abricot colored and horrible. Two really not nice things about this, was first - there seems to have been some sort of lacquer applied to the marble, but every spec of water or spots, previous to this lacquer finish shows up really easy in the strong halogen lights. Especially around the toilet and shower areas. Eww. Also the dark and brown stains in the marble makes it really hard to see what is dirt - and what is marble. I noticed a long brownish stripe of what appeared to be food on the side of the bathtub, looked like a marble shade, but was in fact dirt. I understand that the poor maid does not have a chance in the world to see such details. Again... The marble was a the Vegas casino carpet of tiles. Not nice. Also it seemed like it had repairs around the area where the retrofitted TV and wall hanging haridryer (really?) was fitted. The toiletries were a delight though. And besides from the glass shards upon checking in - not cleaned up from a previous guest mishap (which I stepped on, only minor blood loss) and the leftover cleaning agent in the tub (white powder), the room and bathroom was spotless.

One last thing. As far as I could ascertain almost all views (City, Hofbrauhaus, etc) in fact face a very large parking structure. By looking at the floor layout plan, I'd say that at least 60% of the rooms will face that monstrosity. You have been warned.

Altogether, the Mandarin Oriental - Munich does try hard. The hardware is certainly there and with a bit more effort it can be a top site in Germany. Personally, I think they would be toast if a Park Hyatt or Four Seasons opened up shop tomorrow - but then again, that is unlikely.

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 12, 2013
Dear MorganJ,
Many thanks for your detailed comment on Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
The carpet in the lobby as well as the marble bathrooms are obviously a matter of individual taste. Until your comment, we never had any negative remarks concerning the carpet in the lobby.
Although you comment on some issues which I read with interest, I am delighted to learn how much you still appreciated your stay at Mandarin Oriental, Munich and want to thank you for your positive overall assessment of four points.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again
Charlotte, NC
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 31, 2013

Amazing. I never knew how good customer service could be until I stayed here. We were in a suite for three nights, and I honestly don't have one complaint. Yes it's pricey, but in this case, you pay for what you get. We arrived much earlier than planned due to a flight change, and the staff couldn't have been more accommodating - our room wasn't quite ready, but they gave us a place to change clothes (it had been a long flight) and comped us beverages in the restaurant.

The room was spotless and spacious, and it even included an adapter for our electronics! The bathroom was huge, and I loved the complimentary minibar and fruit upon arrival. We needed the concierge's assistance securing train tickets to Vienna, and - Murphy's Law - Visa decided to put a fraud hold on my credit card as soon as he tried to purchase them. I was super embarrassed, but he and the front desk staff couldn't have been nicer, helping me place an international call and even jokingly (?) offering to let me use their credit card when it didn't work a second time.

The hotel breakfast was delicious - the kitchen staff would make anything you wanted, and the buffet included meats, cheeses, pretzels, yogurt, the most delicious muesli I've ever had, fruits, pastries, danishes, etc. I'm getting hungry again just thinking about it! We had dinner one night at Mark's, and the service and food were five star. Our waiters and waitresses remembered us every day, and the bartender knew "my" drink after one day.

As others have said, the location is great and within walking distance of the Marienplatz and train station and literally next to the Hofbrauhaus. If you get a higher floor, the view is pretty spectacular, too. Unfortunately, the roof was closed when we were there, but the rest of the hotel was so awesome, I didn't mind.

Dear Vandelay37,
What a pleasure to learn that you enjoyed your stay at the Mandarin Oriental, Munich. We would like to thank you for your kind words about the staff and the kitchen team. It is very important to us to make our guests perfectly happy.
We are looking forward to welcoming you again to Mandarin Oriental, Munich and I hope you will enjoy the breakfast as much as you did before.
Thank you for sharing such fantastic comments on Tripadvisor
Best regards,
Singapore
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

I reviewed this hotel back in 2011. I been back a few times always on my own. This time I brought my wife and our 3yr old, quite frankly because I trust this hotel. After a 12hr flight with a 3yr old you need a great hotel and the MO in Munich didn't let us down.

Location is good, building is great, room was wonderful, breakfast is amazing but that's not what makes a good hotel, it's the staff. Without exception every member of staff from the doorman to the maid was great. Very pleasant attitude, great service, friendly etc. They really make the difference. I'll give you an example - at breakfast we ordered hot chocolate for our son (who had been awake from 2am with jet lag). The waitress brought it whilst my wife and I were looking at the buffet. I started to rush back but she had already pored extra milk in it so that it wasn't too hot for him. Just one small example (of which there were many, where the staff thought about things).

I think this is an extremely well run hotel and one of the best Mandarin Orientals I've stayed in. They've done a good job on the roof with the bar, which in summer has some great views. There are only two problems - the bill and the fact my family can't wait to go back!

Room Tip: Higher floors are better and if you don't mind the stairs the top floor is best.
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled with family
MOMUCMunich, Geschäftsführer at Mandarin Oriental, Munich, responded to this review, June 7, 2013
Dear Green_kermit,
Your family and you seemed to have had a fantastic time! It is a great pleasure to read it and thank you for sharing so many different and detailed praises.
We are very much looking forward to welcoming you and your family again in Mandarin Oriental, Munich.
Waxhaw, North Carolina
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 28, 2013

The Mandarin was our first stop on a three city trip and and it set the standard for service, comfort and luxury. The entire staff, in particular Dominick the Concierge, were a delight. We were upgraded to an apartment like Tower Suite upon arriving and couldn't wait to return to it at the end of the day. The amenities and furnishings would make anyone feel at home. Splendid linens and cleanliness in our suite. I've already ordered a Nespresso machine which I enjoyed everyday in the convenience of my room. Location was perfect for sightseeing, eating or strolling. Wish there were more Mandarin hotels in Europe.
Don't miss this one.

Dear Penny D,
Reading your comments is most rewarding and do most certainly flatter us. To know how much you enjoyed the amenities, the decoration, the linens the Nespresso Machine and so many other features. It is great to learn your impressions on Mandarin Oriental, Munich and thank you for recommending our hotel.
We hope you won’t miss an opportunity to visit the Bavarian Capital and allow us to welcoming you again in our house.
Kind regards,
Mandarin Oriental, Munich

Been to Mandarin Oriental, Munich? Share your experiences!