“Average Hotel” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #117 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Mernda, Australia
“Average Hotel”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 19, 2012

I cannot remember much about this hotel, it was an overnight stay. We had room 215 which was part of our Germany Tour. The room fairly large, long and narrow. Red carpet, with drab dark olive green bedspreads. Asked for a double and the beds were 2 singles pushed together. I believe that the hotel needs to think about updating and renovating the rooms, very outdated, if the others are like the one we had. We did noticed that the heater was not working. Our room faced one of the roads. We did not have any noise at all. You could open the windows and we did to let some fresh air in. Very stuffy. Cannot remember the breakfast room at all, but I did make a note and I gave breakfast 6/10 so it could not have been too bad. The position of this hotel is o.k. took us about a 20 - 30 minute pleasant walk, from the city centre. Nothing around the hotel. Would we stay here again, I would look around for something better. Just a average hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Leeds
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012

The hotel is located near to Stiglmaier underground station which is one stop to the Hauptbahnhof. As such it is convenient for the city and congress centre.
The hotel has a refined and classy ambience and the rooms are clean and neat. Comprehensive breakfast buffet can be eaten in a pretty and secluded courtyard. There is also a restaurant (of some repute in its own right) and a traditional bar.
Good value for money in big European cities is increasingly hard to find but here it is. I would stay here again.

Room Tip: Balcony rooms are south facing with a good view.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
Vienna, Austria
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 19, 2012

I booked 3 rooms (for 3 couples) for this hotel using Hotwire - when we arrived they had set aside 2 rooms for 1 person each, despite my Hotwire confirmed booking. Not sure who had the problem in this confusion and panic, fortunately the staff made every effort to rectify, although it cost us an extra 100 Euros over the hotwire price.

Rooms are very clean, of the 3 rooms booked two had A/C, one had only a fan and was very hot. Bathrooms are newly upgraded. The underground carpark was a bit of a challenge for larger vehicles, as they use tiny stacked stalls. We had a rooftop carrier and the car just barely fit in. Parking costs extra.

Breakfast was included and was excellent - the outside patio was very pleasant and treed.

Overall this hotel was a great value for downtown Munich.

Room Tip: Confirm your booking if using a service like Expedia or Hotwire.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled with family
Royston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 13, 2012

I used this hotel for one night after my original hotel let me down badly.
Very professional, welcoming team, and a quick check in

Large, spacious, well equipped modern room, with a very comfortable bed.

Breakfast was a bit basic, but typical german cold buffet, with omelettes available on request,( but not well advertised!)..

Very quiet, despite its central location, and I can highly reccomend.

They did charge me double for breakfast, thinking I was two people not one, but did sort it out quickly with their apologies..!

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
Luzern
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 12, 2012

December 2011/double room/third floor.

Check-in was flawless and accompanied by Cheshire-cat smiles from pretty hotel staff, though I can’t vouch for any male members’ physical attributes because I’m not that way. But all of them were a comforting wide-range of nationalities and ethnicities, who truly understood what they were dealing with in terms of the quality accommodation they offered. I’d hazard a well-educated guess that these ladies/gents were trained for a serious purpose.

We zoomed up to the third floor in a recto-rotic styled lift that would get anyone’s juices going: then bang, we’re in room 310! There was at least 22 square metres of total double-room. Spotlessly clean, without a single trace of pubis in the bed or in the bathroom, and what a bathroom it turned out to be.

Complimentary soaps and gels were so colourfully inviting that I tried them out on sight in a man-sized bath. Impact! I had maximum jets of sheer joy pummelling my body from a whopping shower head that would be more at home in the engine of a formula one car. Afterwards, my skin felt like fresh goat’s milk and I was ready for a night of something avent garde.

Dwelling on the subject of the sanitation, I’m afraid the eco-2 litre flush wasn’t working in this room’s toilet. So it was with great displeasure and a vague feeling of remorse that I flushed away a few bits and pieces that I’d half-digested on my 5.5 hour journey by train from Switzerland. This amounted to nothing more than a tin of Tom Yum nuts, so I am sure you can concur with my disappointment. But later that night, after a slap-up meal at the within walking distance Greek restaurant Alvia, I gave that toilet everything I had and it coped like a Viking. Let’s hear it for Erzgiesserei's flush!

Breakfast was cosy because people talked in low-whispers to the extent where I thought they were trying to persuade a cat to sit in their laps, but alas, those people turned out to be from Holland. Breakfast was buffet-style but the coffee was served by a splendid gentleman in grey slacks. You could choose to sit lower-deck, so to speak, or dive in with the rest of Europe next to the muesli bar. We did both! Then it was back up to the Viking's toilet.

All in all, yet another great stay in the City of Sins and I’ll be back. Well done!

• Stayed December 2011, traveled on business
Lincolnshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 1, 2011

This was very reasonably priced- we booked from a German website. It was mainly used by Germans but the night porter spoke Excellent English. I am not sure about the rest of the staff as we speak enough |German to not need it. The breakfast was the normal buffet, and had a very good selection but it was served in a soulless canteen-like room. The bedroom was exceptionally clean and there were several free English speaking TV channels. (mostly news). The hotel is in a nice quiet safe area within easy walking distance of town centre (20 mins) or 5 mins to U bahn.
Our only quibble was that the room was far too hot. (End October)The radiator was on full during the day (even though we turned it off) and although we did open the windows, the room just did not cool down and it was too uncomfortable to sleep well. There was no air conditioning in our room. We will go there again hopefully, it is convenient for visiting family, but I will ask for a cooler room

• Stayed October 2011, traveled as a couple
Brooklyn, New York
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 31, 2010

The staff were great. I had a great view from my room. It was very quiet and comfortable. The AC worked fantastic, thankfully, because it was miserably hot in Munich at the time. The mini bar items were very reasonably priced. The breakfast on the patio was great. Nice place.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Erzgiesserei Europe? Share your experiences!