“Look elsewhere...” 2 of 5 stars

Ranked #148 of 383 hotels in Munich
Gothenburg, Sweden
“Look elsewhere...”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 31, 2012

This place have better reviews that it deserve. Yea, the location is excellent and their homepage makes the place look inviting. But already upon arrival we started thinking how our stay might turn out. It´s a grey 60´s building, but they could at least fix the signs with hotel name on the wall. It looked like they did not care of the impression the broken sign gave. Check in was smooth, but our room was a disappointment. It was extremely hot inside and we told the staff that the radiator could not be turned down. They promised to fix it, but after being out for a 4 hour shopping tour it was still boling hot. Once again told the staff and the guy came up and tried to fix it, which proved successful after several attempts.
After reading the reviews we were looking forward to the breakfast, which proved to be another disappointment. 45 minutes before the breakfast room closed, there was almost no items left. A couple of pieces of bread, a few slices of ham and some eggs. That was about it...
Another thing that was not so great about the Hotel Bristol is the staff working at night. They should check who they let into the building, which obviously was not they case...
However, the room was clean enough and location really good. But for the price paid, I am sure there are better places.

252 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Australia
1 of 5 stars Reviewed October 29, 2012

Hotel also goes under the name Superior Hotel Bristol. We had a room on the stairwell. By the fittings there once was carpet but now its stone so clack went the high heels day and night. Next to our room was a glass door that separated the stairwell from the other rooms. It slammed constantly. Then there is the cafe underneath and the cafe and bar opposite all with outside tables. No air conditioning so on a warm night you have to have the window open. Cigarette smoke and noise made sleep impossible. Then there was the non vacuumed carpet for 4 days and the drink stains on the window ledge. We left early as we needed sleep. The staff must be used to this as they never even blinked or inquired why. If you like noise day and night this is your place.

Room Tip: Try the Sofitel its very quite
Wiesbaden, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 23, 2012

Hotels in Munich are expensive during Oktoberfest so it was a challenge finding something reasonably priced close to both the Oktoberfest grounds and the central train station. Still, a double room with breakfast was over 200 euros. The Hotel Bristol's location was good. It's about a 15 minute walk to the grounds and one U-Bahn station away from Munich's Hauptbahnhoff. The staff was friendly, the free WiFi worked fine and while the breakfast room is a little cramped, the breakfast was good. Rooms are a bit on the small side and a little dark but otherwise were OK.

Melbourne, Australia
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel during oktoberfest. It was the cheapest decent hotel in the area during this time. We arrived very early the first morning, much too early to check in. The lady on the front desk was very accommodating, even letting us go up for breakfast while we waited for our room to be ready.

The hotel is only a 10 minute walk to Munich central station and the oktoberfest grounds so is in a great location!

Rooms were pretty disappointing due to the hard creaky beds, the lack of air con, noise from the bar downstairs, how there was no fridge(mini bar) the house keeping was shocking. All they did was clean the room, there was no clean sheets or towels and the bathroom was quite dirty.

The breakfast was pretty good the only complaints is that the milk for your cereal was warm and they kept running out of items. Also the dining area for breakfast was very small and not many people could fit in to eat.

All in all for the location of this hotel and the fact that it was Oktoberfest and that this hotel was a 3 star hotel we were quite happy with our stay.

London
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 10, 2012

Hotel is really located in good place. Everything is on your hand, tram, underground, city centre.
Room was clean with view into the street. Breakfast was perfect with everything what do you need. Can’t complain at all, was happy with that.

But not everything is on the bright side as I thought.
Hotel was chosen from the hotel website, also they were advertising, every breakfast will include Prosecco. All my stay I never seen and never got Prosecco.
Breakfast room was too small and all tables were in one row with seats for 4 and 6 people. My feeling was terrible when I was forced to have breakfast with other strangers.
Floor was unwashed dirty slip like glue to my shoes. Feeling was like I’m in the public toilet. That was the most awful sense.
Some plates, glasses and teapots were unwashed with nasty smell.
Staff which was serving breakfast was Russian speaking, unfriendly with sulky faces. They were helpful and friendly only with Russian people but not with us from the Western Europe. They made us feel like second class gests. Not the best feeling I had.

At the end of my review I just wanted to say, I will never go back here again.

Guest

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Sydney, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 31, 2012

I spent two weeks at the Bristol Hotel (i.e. 13 nights in a single room and then a double room during the final night of my stay).

In my experience, the staff were really helpful and accommodating. I won't list every single interaction but here are just a couple of examples:
- I arrived at 6am without informing the hotel i needed an early check-in. Check-in is usually at 1pm so they didn't have a room ready for me to check into. Still, they offered me a complimentary breakfast and provided me with a password for the wifi service prior to checking in.
- I wanted to upgrade to a double room during my last night in Munich because my boyfriend was arriving in Germany. The hotel gave us a complimentary upgrade - we didn't even have to pay for my boyfriend's extra breakfast. They even helped to move my luggage into the new room.

The single room I stayed in for 13 nights was really nice. It was larger than most of the other single rooms I've stayed in in comparable hotels in Europe. It's not a room in the Ritz Carlton (if this is what you're expecting then go elsewhere and pay the extra euros), but it was definitely comfortable and more than sufficient for my needs. My room was on the 4th floor and faced the courtyard, so it was quiet. The internet worked perfectly from this room. I had a few pleasant evenings reading in the balcony watching the sun come down.

The double room I stayed in on the last night faced the street(i.e. Pettenkofferstrasse), so I agree with some of the reviewers that it can get a little noisy because of the cafe across the street and Cafe Mozart adjoining the hotel. Otherwise, we were very satisfied with the room. It was definitely fine for an overnight stay.

Breakfast was excellent and in my opinion much better than the usual fare offered by 3/4 star hotels. Every morning there were scrambled eggs, various breads and pastries, muesli, fruit, wursts and frankfurters, yogurt, cheeses, cold meats, mini-salads, juices, hot drinks etc. I never had problems getting a table in the breakfast room because I always had breakfast early, but I did notice the breakfast room would start filling up around 8:15 - 8:30.

The location of the hotel is a bonus. The Sendlinger Tor tram stop is a two minute stroll from the hotel. There is also a U-Bahn underground train stop right at Sendlinger Tor. At Sendlinger Tor Platz (just in front of the Sendlinger Tor city gate), there is a lovely, inexpensive traditional Bavarian restaurant with outdoor seating and excellent local food (in my opinion this restaurant offered much better value and service than Cafe Mozart next to the Bristol Hotel). There are loads of shops, bakeries and restaurants all along the street through the old city gates.

I'll definitely return to the Bristol Hotel the next time I'm in Munich.

Room Tip: Choose a room on one of the higher floors (e.g. 4th floor) and facing the courtyard.
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled solo
West Malling, United Kingdom
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 29, 2012 via mobile

We stayed at the Hotel Bristol for 2 nights on our way back to the UK from Italy. It was the most expensive hotel of our whole holiday (and our other hotels were not slums!) so we were expecting a lot. We turned up to find that half of the front sign of the hotel was missing, which looked awful.
Things didn't get much better in the rooms. The lamps had red shades, so the room looked like a lady of the night's boudoir! The walls were covered with chipboard wallpaper and the only light in the room was a strip light in the window frame. As there was no air con, we decided to keep the one window open as it was quite stuffy in the room, this was an epic fail as under the hotel was a bar so we were listening to drunk people till around 2am. The next morning, we went to breakfast later than expected (due to lack of rest!) only to find 95% of the food gone. All that was left was some congealed eggs and limp looking bacon- sufficed to say we were not impressed.
Overall I was very disappointed with the Hotel Bristol. It could be so much more if they just spent some money on it! It was not worth what we paid, and the only good point was the proximity to the tube station. Will NOT be returning.

• Stayed August 2012

Been to Hotel Bristol? Share your experiences!