“Good location, poor service.” 2 of 5 stars

Platzl Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Sparkassenstrasse 10, 80331 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #9 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Sydney, Australia
“Good location, poor service.”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed August 17, 2013

The Platzl hotel in Munich is located in very close proximity to the main square and other attractions such as the popular Hofbrauhaus restaurant. Unfortunately, while this hotel's location is very good, the service from the staff was quite disappointing.

From the moment I walked into my room (which was on the top floor), it felt quite warm. The air-conditioner didn't seem to be putting out any cold air and Munich was experiencing some quite warm weather during my stay. I contacted the front-desk who told me that the air-conditioning was being fixed and they could move me to another room on the next floor down. That was fine, but what was annoying was the way I was spoken to by this particular person at the front desk. He was rude, short with me and said that “if I wanted to move rooms, I had to do it NOW!”. Too bad that I had dinner plans that night. So I had to pack everything up again and move to the other room straight away, and without any help. To my disbelief, this new room was also warm (although not as bad as the first room) and only then I was told that the air-conditioning in the whole hotel wasn't working! Why didn't they tell me this upon check-in?

I spoke to the hotel manager the next day and firstly asked why I was allocated a room that they knew would be hotter than the others (on the top floor) and then mentioned that I was rudely spoken to by the front desk staff. And what did the hotel manager offer me as 'compensation'?.. A free beer. I hardly call that compensation. The next day the air-conditioning seemed a little better but it was still not 'cool' inside the room and it remained like that for the duration of my stay.

The other issue I had was that I wanted a top-sheet for the bed; they brought up half a top-sheet even though I told them I wanted a full-size sheet to fit the entire bed, not just half of it. This was eventually brought up to me, but they didn't bother to help me put it on the bed – that was left for me to do. Frustratingly, when they made my bed up the next day, the top-sheet was removed, so I had to ask them once again for another sheet (and again they brought up half a sheet!).

Finally, the room-service staff moved my personal belongings into the drawers around the room, without telling me, instead of just leaving them where I put them. It took me ten minutes to find my medications that were 'put away' even though I didn't ask for them to be moved.

The hotel has free wi-fi which is handy although you have to log-in to a website every 24 hours and enter your details each time to reset it which is a bit annoying. Why not just have free, continuous wi-fi without any fuss?

Overall, I did not particularly enjoy my stay at the Platzl. Despite the good location of this hotel, the staff seem to have a communication problem in three ways: Many of them don't speak English, one particular person at the front desk was rude to me (and did not even apologise) and messages don't seem to get through to other staff members. Nobody seemed to care and there was no personal attention. Once you book and they get your credit card number, there's no reduction in the nightly rate if something goes wrong – such as a broken air-conditioner – even though I paid for a hotel room with air-conditioning. Don't stay here, choose another hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled solo
OnlineBirds, Reputation Management at Platzl Hotel, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Dear Mike R.,

Thank you for the review of our hotel. We would like to apologise for and briefly comment on the inconvenience you have experienced.

Because of the unusual heat wave in Europe, at the time of your stay, in some areas of our hotel the air conditioning failed for a short time. The failure affected 10 of the 167 rooms in total and was corrected as soon as possible. Generally, the temperature of our air conditioning is set to the European standard.

If a room change is desired or required by our guests, then of course we and our employees are always happy to help, if so desired by our guests.

We apologise that you could not find your medication immediately after your room was cleaned. In order to completely and thoroughly clean the rooms of our hotel, unfortunately our maids have to move some of our guests' belongings.

All our staff at reception and in the service area speak English and our cordiality and service are highly praised in online reviews. Please excuse that there were misunderstandings in your case.

Nevertheless, we would be very pleased to welcome you back as our guest soon and to convince you of our service!

Best regards

the Platzl Hotel Team and the Inselkammer family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
  • Greek first
Melbourne, Australia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 16, 2013

A very convenient hotel situated only 200 metres from the Marienplatz underground station in the main square. Service was always very helpful and efficient. The breakfasts were magnificent and pristinely presented by obviously very proud staff. Although not a cheap hotel, it was well worth the splurge and we would not hesitate to stay there again. We travelled with another couple and although we found the air conditioning exactly meeting our requirements, they found the room a little too warm and were not able to lower the temperature. However, it did not detract from their stay. Apart from a quick foot bath, we did not have time to use the spa facilities, which looked wonderful. Just too much to see and do during the long, hot summer days in a beautiful city.

Room Tip: Perhaps avoid a room overlooking the frenetic Hoffbrauhaus.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2013

My daughter and I stayed here for three nights and loved the location. Central to everything we wanted to see and easy to get to the airport and the main railway. The staff was very friendly and dressed in bavarian style, rooms clean and beds comfortable. The windows were sound proof so even though Hofbrau House is nearby we never heard a thing. Each room had their own air-conditioning which was a plus since it was hot. The Moorish Kiosk was wonderful after a full day of sight seeing. Would definitely return again!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Shanghai, China
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

Wonderful location, excellent service. 3mins to the central, next door to HB beer house if you are a German beer fan. Convenient to go everywhere by subway, lots stores for shopping and eating. The hotel itself is a legend. It was rebuilt in 1980's. it is fully considered the traditional Bavaria style and also the modern functions people are looking for. You won't be let down.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Sao Paulo, SP
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 11, 2013

The location is excellent, next to main city atractions and a very nice commercial area. Don´t miss their restaurant Pfistermuhle and ask for the waiter Marco, who's really great! Follow all his suggestions and you'll have a fantastic dinner.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 9, 2013 via mobile

The position of hotel is perfect i can say the epicentrr of munich. Very convenient for all interest. Shopping site seeing restaurants. Friendly helpfull staff and kind. I have been to many five star hotels and although platzl is surrounded by them the value for money by far outclasses all. I will surely be back.

• Stayed August 2013
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 4, 2013 via mobile

Stayed two nights here during a month long holiday with my wife. We were in Munich 3 separate occasions during the trip, at 3 different hotels, and the Platzl was our favorite by far. Upscale European style hotel, right in heart of city center, 2 blocks from the Marienplatz and back of hotel is essentially across the street from the Hofbrauhaus. Superlative informative and attentive staff and (hurray) strong AC which was invaluable as the temps were in the 30s. Price was reasonable for the quality and location. Will stay here again whenever in Munich.

Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple

Been to Platzl Hotel? Share your experiences!