Stayed here for six nights in December 2012 for tourism. this was our base for visiting Christmas markets, Salzburg, Neuschwanstein, Dachau, and the BMW Museum. I would recommend this hotel to others and stay here again.
-Close to public transportation- Walk 5 minutes to reach Ostbahnhof (East Train Station). From here, you can catch the train to go to Marianplatz, the BMW Museum, Dachau, or Hauptbahnhof (Main Train Station). Trains are punctual and frequent (at least by my American standards).
-Breakfast buffet was included in the price (120 Euros/night). There were fresh pretzels, fresh pineapple, fresh sliced grapefruit, dried fruits, cucumbers, an assortment of breads and pastries (although only once was I able to find a chocolate croissant), sausages, hash browns etc. The dining area's them of green and brown was fresh in a retro kind of style.
-The bed was comfortable and linens were clean. Chairs to a side table could efficiently be pushed all the way under the table. An ottoman hid under a coffee table, so that one could save space i needed. The lights in the hallway seemed to be automated, so that the moment you stepped in the hallway, the lights turned on. Perhaps this was a special energy saving feature.
-We lost our key one evening, and the receptionist promptly gave us a new one.
-A few hearty restaurants are around the corner from the hotel. D'Angelo's- a pizza place, was full of locals, excellent pizza, beer and wine. It is literally around the corner. There was another German restaurant on the walk to Ostbahnhof, where we had dinner one night after coming back from Neuschwanstein, and that was a nice meal as well, with Austrian wine and the daily special.
-The rooms are new, so that means facilities were quite clean.
Main issues I had with the hotel are below:
1) For stays of 5 nights or longer, a cleaning person only comes twice. I'm not sure if this is the case with all Residence Inn's. This was a small annoyance, as I was on vacation and did not want to make the bed, as trivial as it sounds. The half wall in the bathtub area didn't seal water in properly, so often after a shower, water would puddle on the floor. We would then need a new towel for the ground. Which brings me to...
2) Upon check in, the male receptionist mentioned that the cleaning person would only come twice as we were staying six nights. He also said, though, that if we needed clean towels, to please contact the reception area because that request would be accommodated. So, one night, I did ask for new towels. Another male receptionist proceeded to interrogate me and nearly screamed at me, "We don't do this every night! What night did you check in? You cannot have new towels every day!" Well, that was the first time I had requested new towels. It was a bit rude and contradicted what the original receptionist told us upon check in. Guests shouldn't be made to feel like criminals for requesting a new towel. Ultimately, new towels were delivered, which was helpful.
3) The self-serve laundry machines are expensive (about 4 euros for each wash use and 4 euros for each dryer use) and did not clean our clothes well. The clothes were still damp after coming out of the dryer, so we had to hang them up around our room to finish drying.
4) When I reserved the room online, I requested a room on a high floor with a view of the courtyard. I received the former, but not the latter. We faced a parking lot. This was fine, as we were out sightseeing every day and came back mostly to sleep. But, as a heads up, if you don't have a view of this elusive courtyard, your view will be a parking lot.
In all, a very comfortable stay and I would stay here again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Residence Inn helps guests keep all aspects of their life in balance through connectivity to home and office, health and fitness options, and comfortable places to work or relax - including guests traveling with their families, or for personal travel. The Residence Inn Munich City East offers 125 spacious studios with air condition, telephone, safe, fully equipped kitchenette with dishwasher and refrigerator, W-Lan with High Speed Internet Access, Sat-TV and generous living, dining and working area. The fitness room, steam bath and sauna are free of charge for all our guests. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Marriott, Travelocity, Expedia, Hotels.com, Priceline, Orbitz, Tingo, TripOnline SA, Asiatravel.com Holdings and Venere so you can book your Residence Inn by Marriott Munchen City Ost reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.