“Excellent Stay” 5 of 5 stars

Ranked #4 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Herefordshire
“Excellent Stay”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 6, 2013

Just back from visiting relatives in Munich. We stayed three nights at the Bavaria. I was a bit worried it was a bit out of town but the S Bahn was very close and only three stops to the Marienplatz. As others have said the staff were very friendly and welcoming. The room was not large but smart and comfortable with a small balcony over looking the little court yard. Although not much good on our visit unless you like snow. Breakfast was very nice with a good range to choose from. I hope to use it again.

Room Tip: All rooms seem quiet the back is better with more pleasant views.
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
Bavaria121110, Inhaber at Hotel Bavaria, responded to this review, February 20, 2013
Dear Jowett,

Thank you for your feedback. We are happy you enjoyed your stay in our hotel. We would be glad to welcome some other time.

Best regards

Bernd Gronbach
Owner

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Boston, Massachusetts
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 19, 2013

The Hotel Bavaria was perfect for us. It's a small, very well-run hotel with friendly staff and a welcoming atmosphere. The room we stayed in was a good size, with a comfortable bed, desk, two armchairs, and large wardrobe. The bathroom was small but efficient and well-designed.
We loved the generous breakfast and good coffee, and the short walk from the train station. Do ask about the construction if you're staying soon (we were there in late December 2012) because it was very loud during the day.
The Barvaria was also good for drinks or light snacks and a cozy place to spend time. The staff could not have been more helpful - we really appreciated their recommendations and advice. The location is one stop from the city center, but worth the short trip for the great value. We would definitely stay here again.

Room Tip: The street side was a bit noisy (garbage trucks, traffic) so ask for one facing the back if you need...
Dear Packlighttravelright ,

Thank you for your review. We hope you will come back to our hotel and enjoy our new "Lifestyle-rooms". The renovation is finished, no more noise but very stylish new rooms.

Best regards

Bernd Gronbach
Chicago
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We stayed here on our recent trip to Munich. This is a great little hotel. It is stylish, clean, the staff is friendly and the breakfast is outstanding. After the first night, we asked to change rooms only because my horrible cough was shaking the bed and keeping my husband awake all night. They were able to switch us to a room that had two beds with no problem. That was much appreciated. The location is good - we either took the U-Bahn or walked to the city center. I would definitely stay here again if I have the privilege of returning to Munich.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
USA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 15, 2013

We only spent one night here, but this hotel left a lasting impression. The service from check-in to check-out was friendly, warm and efficient. Although the lobby, rooms and bathrooms are small, they are beautifully decorated and extremely comfortable.

The breakfast room is lovely and the breakfast buffet is incredible! The choices of fruit, breads, meats, cheeses and hot dishes rivals any 4-5 star hotel. And the staff here is welcoming and friendly. We also had a drink in their bar, BarVaria, and it is comfortable and a great place to unwind.

The only tips I would give are: get clear directions from the train station. We missed the small sign directing us towards the main street and had to backtrack. We would also suggest taking the next stop after the main station(or a tram ?) to get closer to the hotel, the walk was difficult on somewhat snowy sidewalks. Check with the hotel for best directions.
The other tip: there was very noisy construction going on in mid-December 2012 and that prevented us from taking a much-needed nap after a long haul flight. Check to see if the work is done if day time rest is a must for you.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
Bavaria121110, Leiter Front Office at Hotel Bavaria, responded to this review, March 1, 2013
Dear Melange,

many thanks for your kind feedback.
We want to inform you now, that our renovation finished and so you have to visit us again and enjoy our new lifestyle rooms.-:)

Warm regards
Janet Kaufmann

Frontoffice Manager
Hotel Bavaria
Sicily, Italy
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2013

Me and my wife stayed here to visit the Christmas Markets and visit friends for the holiday. Usually when I travel for business to Munich I stay in the city center, however we found this hotel and for the price we decided to give it a shot. We weren't dissapointed at all. The hotel is in a very good location right next to the Oktoberfest grounds and a nice 5 minute walk from the U-Bahn. The staff was very friendly and the breakfast spread was one of the better that I've seen. The hotel seems quiet and not busy when we were there besides the breakfast rush, most of the time it was hard to realize that it was occupied to max capacity. That being said the rooms were very quiet, it was some of the best sleep that I've had while traveling. I never heard my neighbors once. The beds were also very comfortable, should I return to Munich for holiday I will be sure to stay here again.

Room Tip: Rooms with the balcony facing the courtyard are much quieter.
  • Stayed December 2012, traveled with family
Shreveport, Louisiana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2013

This place was the best that we stayed at in Europe. It was close to the train station (3 min walk). The room was lovely, the staff was very nice. They had an awesome breakfast spread. The room was cold, though, and the radiator just could not keep up with the winter cold.

Cheshire
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend break as a surprise for my partner to visit the Christmas markets - it coincided with some very wintry weather which actually made the trip magical.

The hotel is situated outside the immediate city centre but is just five minutes' walk (even in the heavy snow!) from the U-Bahn station which has a frequent and efficient service to all the main places one would wish to visit. It is in a quiet residential location and we had no noise problems but given that it is just yards from the Oktoberfest venue, I can imagine that this would not be so during that time; conversely, it is superbly located for that occasion.

The staff are all very friendly and informative. They are also very observant: I was unfortunately ill on the second day of our stay requiring a day in bed and the staff asked my partner where I was and thereafter continued to do so until I surfaced.

The room was very comfortable - believe me, I spent longer in there than I wanted! - albeit of a standard European size. The bathroom was perfectly adequate with a wonderful shower that I could have stayed under for hours.

Previous reviews on here (many from Americans I note) have raved about the breakfast. Neither of us thought it was out of the ordinary for a European hotel. It was very good, the choice was fine and it was all perfectly acceptable but given the glowing reviews on here I was expecting something more.

The hotel has no restaurant and so one has to fend for oneself in the evenings. We found the eating choices locally to be limited so best to venture into the city I think. As it was, we were able to graze at the Christmas markets stalls so cannot recommend anywhere in particular.

This is a perfect base for exploring Munich and is recommeded.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Hotel Bavaria? Share your experiences!