“Lovely hotel & very friendly staff” 4 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Package Deal
Ranked #5 of 378 Hotels in Munich
Cheshire
“Lovely hotel & very friendly staff”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 29, 2012

We stayed here for a long weekend break as a surprise for my partner to visit the Christmas markets - it coincided with some very wintry weather which actually made the trip magical.

The hotel is situated outside the immediate city centre but is just five minutes' walk (even in the heavy snow!) from the U-Bahn station which has a frequent and efficient service to all the main places one would wish to visit. It is in a quiet residential location and we had no noise problems but given that it is just yards from the Oktoberfest venue, I can imagine that this would not be so during that time; conversely, it is superbly located for that occasion.

The staff are all very friendly and informative. They are also very observant: I was unfortunately ill on the second day of our stay requiring a day in bed and the staff asked my partner where I was and thereafter continued to do so until I surfaced.

The room was very comfortable - believe me, I spent longer in there than I wanted! - albeit of a standard European size. The bathroom was perfectly adequate with a wonderful shower that I could have stayed under for hours.

Previous reviews on here (many from Americans I note) have raved about the breakfast. Neither of us thought it was out of the ordinary for a European hotel. It was very good, the choice was fine and it was all perfectly acceptable but given the glowing reviews on here I was expecting something more.

The hotel has no restaurant and so one has to fend for oneself in the evenings. We found the eating choices locally to be limited so best to venture into the city I think. As it was, we were able to graze at the Christmas markets stalls so cannot recommend anywhere in particular.

This is a perfect base for exploring Munich and is recommeded.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
Brisbane, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 26, 2012 via mobile

This was an all-round great hotel and really good value. Rooms and bathrooms were modern, comfortable and spotlessly clean, the breakfast is excellent and the staff are friendly. The underground and trams are close by, so you can be in Marienplatz in 20mins. You can also buy metro passes (1 day and 3 day passes - not single use tickets) from reception which is really convenient when you have just arrived in a new city. Hotel Bavaria turned out to be a great find, and was a lot cheaper than staying in the old town area.

Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
Northants, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2012

Loved this little hotel it is conveniently located close to underground and overground trains so everything is within easy reach and most tourist stuff within 2 stops. Our room was spotlessly clean and the beds were very comfortable with snow white linen, small but perfectly formed bathroom, endless hot water, radiators with control valves, minibar and a surprising number of English TV channels complete the package.

Breakfast was included and was very good with plenty of choice both hot and cold. We also liked the cosy bar which was great to chill in after a day's shopping in the Christmas markets.

What stood out for us the most was the staff, they were so friendly and helpful we wouldn't hesitste to return.

Room Tip: There are some rooms with balconies overlooking the patio which would be nice in the summer.
Toronto, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 17, 2012

I am not sure how we came about this booking. It must’ve been based on good reviews I had read and I can assure you that all the good reviews are definitely true. This hotel is neat, clean and modern with a friendly and helpful staff. It is not close- within walking distance- to the downtown area, however it is within a block to the October fest field. Which also has a Winter festival (Winter Tollwood Festival) and also a summer version of the same thing. So great! The internet is free and so is the breakfast and it was quite a spread and delicious. It is however within walking distance, about a block, to the U-Bahn and it is about 4 stops to downtown. The u-bahn in Munich is very affordable and if you are going no more than 4 stops it is only 1.20 Euros a person, I have been many places in Europe and never seen it that cheap!! I would stay at this hotel again in a heartbeat!

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2012

I booked this hotel for my folks and my family (three with a toddler) for a couple nights. I used to live in Munich, so we weren't so concerned with where a hotel was--we could get around. Hotel Bavaria happened to be very near to metro stops, though, getting us easily into town. The staff was friendly, and the facilities were great. Breakfast was a fantastic German breakfast buffet with a full spread. The rooms were clean and roomy, with a child's bed (play pen) not making it too cramped. Overall, a great option for Munich without breaking the bank.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
West Yorks, England
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2012

I cannot say enough about this hotel. I had done some searching and found this - wanted an independent, boutique, friendly hotel in Munich. Looked at all the various search engines and they said the hotel was full for our dates...so, I contacted the hotel direct. Was delighted to hear they had a room for us.

The arrival and welcome was perfect - no messing, everything ready, very friendly and we were checked in within minutes.

The room was lovely - clean, warm, comfortable, balcony area, TV, minibar etc. Good sized bathroom with nice shower and filtered tap water.

The bar in the hotel is very good - cosy, intimate and very friendly. It is an assett to the hotel.

Breakfast - lavish and plenty of it. Lovely breakfast room which was tastefully trimmed up for Christmas. Looks like you can sit outside in the Summer too.

Staff - excellent - I cannot praise them highly enough. Friendly and helpful in every way - not just the day to day things to make a stay comfortable but they went out of their way to help. Amongst other things they happily warmed a heat pad for my bad back and also helped with faxes etc for unexpected problems we needed to sort with regards to a house purchase.

If (when) I go back to Munich, this would be top of my list.

Thank you Hotel Bavaria for being such an excellent place to stay. In fact, I wish there was a higher rating than excellent available - truly superb!

Room Tip: I guess they are all good? Ours was perfect.
NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 7, 2012

stayed here based on reviews. great location down the block from Theresensweise/Oktoberfest grounds where there is also a Christmas market event, short walk to U Bahn station; a little longer to S bahn. a few good restaurants within a few blocks of hotel along with an Aldi supermarket. good breakfast and wifi included in room rate;wifi connection wasn't great, kept getting knocked out. small cozy bar in hotel. patio area off breakfast room wasn't available due to weather. mini fridge in room a plus.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled solo

Been to Hotel Bavaria? Share your experiences!