“Nice hotel...but very pricey.” 4 of 5 stars

Special Price
20% off room rate
Ranked #19 of 385 Hotels in Munich
London, United Kingdom
“Nice hotel...but very pricey.”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2013

We stayed for three nights. Had to wait a bit until our room was ready. Nice room, spacious but one of the older rooms. Our view was the office building across the way. Had to request several times to separate the beds into 2 single beds. Very clean, nice bar, very expensive food and beverage. Breakfast buffet was abundant. Concierge staff were a bit stand-offish and not that friendly considering the job they have.

• Stayed September 2013, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (100)
  • Arabic first
  • Indonesian first
  • Polish first
  • Thai first
Rhinebeck, New York
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 13, 2013

I spent four nights in the Kempinski. During that time I had to renegotiate the room level twice, the rates four times (just to get the same rate as my colleagues), change rooms 4 times, spend an hour in the bowels of the hotel to try to find the very expensive suit that I had left for storage while out of Munich and that they (1) initially claimed to not know about, (2) eventually admitted to having misplaced, then (3) awakening me an hour after I had told them I was going to sleep to tell me they had found the clothes (although I admittedly appreciated the notice).

The staff was unfailingly polite (except for the last front desk clerk with whom I argued about the correct rate yet again), but seemed not to be able to remember their earlier commitments regarding rooms/rates.

I stayed at the Kempinski on a corporate arrangement. While my corporate provider clearly made a mistake in the reservation, the staff at the hotel accomodated me well so that I was at the same leve/rate as my colleagues. However, their second room for me (at the correct level) was directly over the garbage collection site when I had asked for quiet above all; their third room when I returned to the hotel was again a single, then a superior after I reminded them of the arrangement. However, instead of a regular superior room, they parked me in a smaller room without an entry hall that clearly had been fumigated for past smoking.

After I complained, they did move me, but to a handicap room rather than a regular one.

The worst thing aside from the continual arguing over what should have been a settled room arrangement was their loss of my business suits. Although found, it took several hours of me pushing them in the lobby to look before they even admitted that they had received the suit package. I question whether they would have admitted it had I not been there at the time they found out.

The only accomodation they made after this horrendous process (which started at 730 PM and did not end with their finding the suit bag around Midnight) was to comp me on a small jar of popcorn.

Although they advertise custom bedding, they were unable to provide American sheeting as advertised, or the pillow that I had asked for.

The rooms are nice, the beds very comfortable, the a/c ok (too warm for an American, perhaps, but comfortable). The staff deserves points for politeness and effort. However, this hotel aspires to be a top-notch 5 start hotel: it clearly falls far short in the results. I am giving it a three for these qualities alone. Otherwise, the stay was a 1.5-2.

While I may stay at the Kempinski again due to its location, I certainly will not do so without specifying the particular room in which I eventually was placed, and I definitely will confirm the rates several times.

Room Tip: confirm room before arriving.
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled on business
WebVierjahreszeiten, Geschäftsführer at Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen, responded to this review, October 31, 2013
Dear guest,

Thank you very much for taking the time to share your impressions on Tripadvisor.
We are of course very concerned to learn that your experience fell short of your expectations. Please accept our sincere apologies that you had to argue about your room rate as well as the type of room. Also we would like to express our apologies for disturbing you and that we almost misplaced your suit. Reading your comment, we deeply regret that we did not react appropriately to your complaint.

We would like to assure you that we pay careful attention to feedback such as you have provided, taking immediate steps to correct any deficiencies. Therefore we hope that your experience on this visit would not dissuade you from staying with us again if your plans bring you to Munich.

Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munich Team
Panama City, Panama
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2013

This Kempinski was being remodeled whilst I was there,please specify a room with the fabulous new super shower with LED lights programmable and space for my tall frame.I found out day number two that I could change the mood lighting of the bathroom,program where I wanted the water to come from,above,in front- with some tiny electronic buttons on the wall.Service was excellent and the breakfast buffet super.Beware of the noise from the redecoration however...when everything is done it will be great again.

Room Tip: Specify you don't want to be near the remodeling noise and the remodeled room with super shower...
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2013

Location is perfect. Near Old town Glockienspiel, Hofbrahaus, Ratskeller and some fine restaurants and excellent shopping. Hotel staff is hyper attentive, and the rooms are spotless with state of the art bathrooms.. I'm still telling people about the cool shower. I loved this hotel and would recommend it unequivocally. Beautiful and hard to beat.!

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 28, 2013

This hotel is one of the very best in Munich. The location is wonderful. We walked all over the historical area. Our room was small, but beautifully appointed. It has the most unusual wallpaper. You have to see it to understand it. The bathroom is very modern. The shower is amazing! First you have to figure out how to use the touchtone buttons on the wall. Before I realized what was happening, I had dimming lights, colored lights and a rain shower. There is also a hand-held shower if you just want a quick shower. Breakfast buffet was abundant. Great service.

Room Tip: Our room faced the back of the hotel. The windows are double-paned as I remember, so I would think...
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Jakarta, Indonesia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 25, 2013 via mobile

I had the pleasure of staying 2 x here within 7 days in the first half of August 2013. The hotel's staff are some of the best I have experienced in all my travels. Super friendly and very helpful. You feel special from the minute you arrive at the door until the minute you leave. Front desk was busy at times but staff was always friendly and apologetic if we had to wait. Breakfast is a real joy and the selection of food is great. The service staff at "Vue " their restaurant was also superb. The location is the best in town as you are only minutes away from Marienplatz and the hotel is where all the most exclusive brands have their shops. The rooms have very modern bathrooms and the room size is a standard 5 star size. I would definitely recommend this hotel to anyone

Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Jakarta
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 23, 2013

Location is excellent and rooms well appointed. Shortfall is only understaffed at certain hour (at night), we asked for extra pillows for almost two hours!

Breakfast was great with good selections. In all, definitely coming back if visiting Munich!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family

Been to Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten Kempinski Munchen? Share your experiences!