“Great spa and gym” 4 of 5 stars

Certificate of Excellence 2014
Hayling Island
“Great spa and gym”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Good hotel, gym/spa are good. The restaurant is great for breakfast with a variety of local and international options. The bar food was good, especially the healthy options.

Location is OK, but watch out that the local subway line doesn't run late at night.

• Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, November 29, 2013
Dear dan_germain,
I am glad to read that you had a comfortable and renewing stay with us. I have forwarded your comment to all relevant departments to share your impressions with my team.
Besides our Superfood offers, we have also other possibilities to support a healthy way of life. Did you hear about our Gear Landing program? We offer our guests New Balance shoes and a new pair of socks in your size for a jogging tour near the river Isar or access our Gym 24 hours a day for a good workout.
Thank you for taking the time to share your impressions with us.
Warm regards
Complex General Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (115)
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 22, 2013

Just come back to UK from a business trip and four nights in the Westin as a SPG.

Pros: - Heavenly beds really are heavenly. Slept better than I normally do when away. Large TV with English channels too. Powerful thunder shower in bathroom- like being at a spa. On that matter the spa was of an extrememly high standard for late night swim. Good quality food on room service too and prompt delivery.
Cons: - knew location was in suburbs. However traffic is virtually standstill in mornings and prepare for a taxi queue at peak times if travelling into Munich. Trying to get a cappuccino to take away each morning when leaving the hotel meant locating a member of staff to help with this. The current assistant behind the counter was never there. Was also surprised to find that after my evening swim, the steam room contained naked men without towels. However this is perhaps my not knowing current practice in Germany :) However if you are travelling with younger children, it might be helpful if the receptionist flags this as you sign in. Overall would be an excellent hotel for the business traveller if only the internet was provided free of charge

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business
Dear Pip N,

thank you for eeing our guest recently and for taking the time to write some lines. I have shared your Feedback with all relevant departments, also with the SPA Manager, and I can tell you naked people without towels in the steambath are not german standard so it was not your lack of knowing. We will take better care to avoid such situations in the future.
Very nice to read that you enjoyed our hevenly bed and heavenly shower. Did you try our Westin superfoods yet or borrowed a pair of New Balance Jogging shoes for a run near the Isar yet? You should try out next time whilst staying with us.
Have a good time,
Kuwait City, Kuwait
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 20, 2013

I am having my breakfast now in club lounge overlooking munich amazing
check in simple easy very nice staff car park 20 euro I select club room , room is large enough with all facilities select even room number for city view club longe is excellent evening time a lot of appetizers and of course beer, wine, soft drinks, breakfast is not continental as mentioned but you will find everything egg bacon sausages cheese pastries cold Cutts fruits yougort etc. Start your day with amazing Munich view with beautiful coffee aroma in the lounge what a hotel I love it go stay in you will not regret I forget to mention all transport are close especially underground 100 meter away

Room Tip: Even room number overlooking Munich city
Dear Hossamsourour,

I wish you would be still with us, than I would come up to have a cup of coffee with you at our Lounge. You are rigt, the Lounge on top of the hotel is truly unique. If you go all the way down to the basement you can find our wonderful bavarian Restaurant "Paulaners". Did you try that also? You should make this experience with bavarian tradional food offers.
Did you also try out our bavaria restaurant at the basement?
Anyway, I thank you very much for this spontaneous post and hope that you will be returing to stay with us very soon.
Warm regards
Granite Bay, California
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 18, 2013

As a SPG (Starwood Preferred Guest) Platinum member and having stayed here before, I had high hopes for a repeat experience. On my previous stay, I had been upgraded to a very nice suite and the service was excellent across all spectrums. Although I considered my stay a good one this time, it wasn't up to the same level of experience as the last one.

I had selected this Westin based upon my previous experience and also that it was away form the center of the city. I was here on vacation with my wife and another couple and since our stay was to coincide with this year's Oktoberfest, we wanted to be away from the expected craziness that comes with that festival. It's close to the U Bahn station and easy to get to the city center and other areas of Munich.

I wasn't upgraded to a suite as the hotel was fully booked due to the festival. I had somewhat expected that and my experience at check in was handled very professionally at a private desk at guest services. She found a standard room on a higher floor of a view of the city center of Munich and thoroughly explained the benefits that I was entitled to as an SPG Platinum member.
Complimentary WiFi and access to the Executvie Lounge were a few of the standard benefits.

The room was of decent size when compared to others in most European hotels. Clean and of course with the standard but much appreciated Westin Heavenly bed. SPG members can totally relate especially when traveling for extended periods of time when out of the country. The bathroom is large again when compared with others in even higher rated hotels. The room, although higher up, had a perceptable amount of traffic noise from the nearby roads. That was a bit surprising this time.

The choice of food and beverages in the Executive Lounge was not expansive especially compared to what I had just experienced at the Sheratons and Le Meridien I stayed at while on this trip. Those units had a great many choices and the food quality was surprisingly very good. The quality at the Wesin here was just average and it seemed that maybe they were focused on the business traveler and figures that this group dines out more and has less expectations of the food and beverages when using the lounge. I noticed that the lounge was quite busy as compared to the Sheraton and Le Meridien. I would not recommend paying for the use of this lounge if you are not a SPG Platinum member or other tiered SPG member using points to use the lounge. I believe the cost is more than 30 euros per guest.

As for service levels, the conciege and valet services were not up to levels provided by those at the front desk or guest services. The concieges were not very friendly when assisting guests and I rarely saw them smile. When trying to get our car through valet, it would take much too long and there were times when we returned to the hotel, we couldnt find the valet and had to go inside to the front desk to ask for assistance. At the Club Lounge, the service was excellent. Although the lounge is supposed to be self service, they were very helpful in refilling drinks, clearing plates, keeping the food and beverages well stocked and attending to other needs. There was a young man there working during our stay who was most helpful and very friendly. He gave us a good many tips about what do in Munich especially with the Oktobefest going on and it proved to be very helpful indeed. Although I know it is not required or expected at the Executive Lounge but I was a bit disappointed that almost all of the guests did not leave even a small gratuity.

Overall a good stay. This Westin, as is most others, set up for the business traveler in mind. When on business, I do frequent the Westin brand quite often. This time I was on vacation and although I had tempered my expectations a bit, I was in the mindset for a better experience. This especially after having a excellent stay at some of Sheratons and a Le Meridien in other European cities. When returning to Munich again when on vacation and not for business, I might give thought to trying another facility for a different experience.

Room Tip: Would recommend staying on a higher floor and contrary to usual beliefs, perhaps pick a room without...
  • Stayed September 2013, traveled with friends
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, November 26, 2013
Dear KamikawaSan,

thank you so much for your detailed review about your stay with us. Your Feedback ist very much appreciated and I have forwarded it to all relevant departments.
Unfortunately we could not keep up the level of service during your second stay, which I very much regret. You have been here during Oktoberfest, a time which is really challenging for all staff but nevertheless the Westin hospitality should be kept up at any time.
I am glad that you consider to return when you are on a business trip and would be even more happy if we could host you also when you are around on vacation. I offer to take take care of your next reservation personally to make sure that your expecations will be met in all outlets.

My very best regards
Bucharest, Romania
3 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

+ : Rooms are nice, beds are really comfortable, and the TV has a big display.. Also, I liked the flooring- it's soft. Also, the breakfast is amazing (but book it in advance, at location is quite expensive- 29 eur/day/person - at the time of my visit)

- : We did not like facts like the following: just OPENING the minibar and getting a bill, having the same internet charges billed twice+ with the excuse of you having to log out- but there was no log out button, just unplugging of the cable- the problem is that you pay for non consecutive minutes- shortly, it consumes all your minutes without you using internet), the 20 EUR per day for parking (this is the "Munich" average price, and the hotel should offer a discount)+ i have booked breakfast too, but at the Hotel they have billed me again.(they were nice and solved the problem, but this does not justify the reason why). SO, for the 2 days we lodged there, we spend a good amount of time dealing with all sort of problems at the front desk. This facts diminish the comfort and makes you feel cautious. this is not cool, because when you opt for a 5 star hotel you expect to feel really pampered, not cautious with things you did not use and you are going to be billed for. And in the end: even hostels have free WIFI, how come a great 5 stars hotel bills you like crazy (the lowest charge is of 6 euros for 60 minutes with 250mb- a lot).

• Stayed December 2012, traveled as a couple
PaulPeters, General Manager at The Westin Grand Munchen, responded to this review, November 19, 2013
Dear Avid V,

Thank you very much for taking the time to write some lines about your recent stay with us. As you wrote, it could have been a very comfortable stay but unfortunately you had a lot of issues to discuss about the charges of different this. Please accept my sincere apologies for that. I have shared your comment with my team already to make sure that things like these could be avoided in the future. It would be my pleasure to upgrade you next time to our Club Level, if you don't mind contact me peronally for your next booking and I will take care of your upgrade. Maybe it is worthy of considerion for you to book your room at this category in the future, because Internet is incuded there. Unfortunately we can not influence the parking cost as the parking garage is not run from the hotel.
Thank you again for your kind Feedback, it is very valuable for uns and we take it very serious.
Best regards
Leipzig
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2013

Booked room via spg.com.

Checkin: Quick, easy, all fine.
Checkout: Efficient, all fine.

Location: Easy to access by car. Subway station is nearby. Not in the center, but you can go easily to the city center.

Rooms: Standard rooms, noting special.

Restaurant: ZEN. Expansive, but good food. Very friendly service. Good wine selection. Nice touch: You can order wine per bottle or per glass (--> perfect to taste different wines).

Overall: Good 4* standard hotel, friendly stuff, clean. Huge hotel, a little bit crowded.

Dear TMG001,

thank you very much for sharing your experiences with us via Tripadvisor. It seems that yo had a very pleaant stay but unfortunately we did not manage to ecxeed your expectations.
With 628 guest rooms we are the biggest hotel in Munich and in high occupancy times the Lobby could be a little crowded indeed but it is our first priority to spoil our guests very individual with all Westin experiences we can offer. For example the Heavenly bed and the heavenly shower in our guest rooms. You can find this two items in Westin Hotels only. Our Gym is accessible 24 hours, 7 days a week for our guests and in the guest rooms at our Club Category we offer Nespresso coffee facilites and access to our fabulous Lounge with a fantastic view all over the city of Munich.
It would be nice if you would five us another chance to satisfy you completely of our services.
My very best regards
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 8, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Westin, too briefly whilst at a conference in Munich. The welcome was warm and genuine, and the room was typical for a Starwood Preferred Guest (their loyalty scheme). The room was lovely with Westin's comfy bed, great bathroom, double sink and exceptionally clean. The bar area is in the lobby, good range of drinks, good service. Breakfast was great, and surprisingly nice coffee. All in all highly recommended.

Stayed November 2013, traveled on business

Been to The Westin Grand Munchen? Share your experiences!