“The real Munich” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Vitalis

You added Hotel Vitalis to your Saves list
Hotel Vitalis
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Kathi-Kobus-Strasse 20-22, 80797 Munich, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #270 of 380 Hotels in Munich
Orlando, FL
“The real Munich”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 18, 2011

We spent 3 nights at the Vitalis, and I have to say, this Schwabing neighborhood grew on me. It is in a neighborhood with local gyms, schools, and joggers and bike-riders, etc. Along with local residents, we hopped the trolley to get where we needed to go. When we finally picked up a car, it was nice that the parking garage is adjacent to the hotel (warning: I pity anyone with anything larger than a SmartCar! These are the worlds tiniest spaces! What fun maneuvering a regular sedan in and out of there!). A real treat was being able to walk a few blocks to the Augustiner Brau restaurant with incredible beer and typical Bavarian food (so good and authentic, we ate there 2 nights in a row). I conclude that the Vitalis is a perfect location if you are already familiar with Munich and do not mind not being within walking distance of Marienplatz or the Hauptbahnhof, etc.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Guelph
4 of 5 stars Reviewed October 2, 2010

Three colleagues of mine stayed in two rooms, the rooms are very large (with good size bathrooms) The rooms are clean, bathrooms are VERY clean (they look brand new)
I was hesitant to stay here at first, since the hotel had bad rankings on tripadvisor, however it was the cheapest room during Oktoberfest (250 Euros/night) So we took a chance, we were very suprised, its a good hotel in a good location, few minute walk to subway (U) The layout of the room is basic, but it has everything you need.
I highly recommend this hotel, if price becomes a deciding factor, there are probably much nicer hotels in Munich, but this hotel does not deserve the 340 ranking on tripadvisor, I see it more like in the mid 100s.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled on business
Barcelona
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 10, 2010

Nothing to say about the hotel: quiet location, large rooms (with tiny bathrooms, btw), but bad service. First, we were given the keys of a room which was already given to somebody else. We could have taken something from the room or the luggage, because nobody came to solve the mistake. We went to reception and were given another room.

The worst was to come when I asked for an extra pillow. Never thought it was a crime but it seems it is so. I was asked to wait in reception for the pillow for more than 15 minutes and when the boy in reception gave it to me, he could have killed me for the way he stared at me. Couldn't understand what I've done wrong, but it seems asking for a pillor was an offence.

• Stayed August 2009
newcastle
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 3, 2009

I stayed here for two days. The first day was OK. The second day when I came down for breakfast I sat down at a vacant table and was ordered very rudely to move elsewhere by the waitress as I was alone and she wanted to move me to a dark corner at the back of the restaurant. I refused, there was plenty of room and she backed down. Then when I had paid (note this) I had to wait for a flight and came back to the hotel an hour before and sat down in the lounge to watch TV and closed my eyes. The waitress came up and demanded that I buy a drink. I said I did not want one and then she said you cannot close your eyes in here you have to sit in the lobby. Even though I had paid £200 for two nights. I went to the lobby and complained and asked for the manager, They said he was not available (rubbish). I then asked for them to book a taxi, they said I would have to wait a long time as the taxis were all busy. I went out to the taxi queue and got one straight away. There was no queue. I complained when I got back to the UK, they sent me a rude reply, I complained to the German tourist board, they sent them a rude reply, I complained to the hoteliers association, they sent me a fob off and a picture of a gas mask. I found this whole experience put me off the Germans for life.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled solo
London
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 26, 2008

We had an excellent stay here and I would certainly go back. However, it depends what you want. If you don't mind being in a suburb (Schwabing, a safe and posh residential area) and in a 1970's 'government office type' building, then it is definitely worth considering. Especially as it is the same area as the Augustiner brewery for good food and a wonderful atmosphere. We paid 89 euros which was a real bargain. The staff were delightful, the room was enormous, the bathroom superb, it was completely quiet at night and the bed was very comfortable - it ticked all my priorities. (In Germany, Switzerland and Austria, a 'double' is usually 2 mattresses and 2 duvets on the same bed frame, sometimes with one large bottom sheet over both mattresses, sometimes two. It is useful to know this as some people may think they have been given a twin room in error.) The room itself was recently renovated, but the style was still 80's (navy blue carpet with yellow dots, tub chairs and flowery curtains). The room was huge and had wide sliding patio doors onto a huge concrete balcony - which overlooked a concrete area/courtyard! The bathroom really was excellent - a large walk in power shower cubicle with a proper glass door and a separate bath. All gleaming white and chrome. The breakfast was good - I think the room must have been renovated since the last reviews, it was fine and not dark. I've stayed in a few other hotels in Munich; the Le Meridien at the main station is extremely nice (but expensive unless a deal available) and the Preysing over the river near the Rosenheimer Platz which was about the same price as the Vitalis, but a bit dated. In the summer in Munich it is usually worth paying for a hotel with air conditioning, but I think the Vitalis might be OK with the windows open if you overlooked the inner courtyard as we did.

• Liked — Good price, high quality bathroom, welcoming staff, large room, very quiet
  • Disliked — The decor
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
Munich, Germany
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 11, 2007

In need of a hotel in my neighbourhood for my parents which visited me in Munich during Christmas 2006 I've checked dozens of Munich hotels. The Hotel Vitalis has a variable price management which means that they calculate the room rates depending on the occupancy.

The room rates vary from 79,- Euro up to 139,- Euro for a double room with breakfast, that means 40,- Euro up to 70 Euro,- per person. This is REALLY a steal, my parents payed 79,- Euro.

The hotel itself is located at the western end of the district Schwabing, a little bit outlying but still in the city. Subway is about 250 meters, tram and bus stations are about 150 meters away, so you can reach the inner city in about 10 minutes.

The Hotel offers good standards, nice, spacious and clean rooms and a rich breakfast buffet.

Someone mentioned here that the breakfast room looks ugly, I can't confirm that. I've asked at the front desk and the manager told me that it was renovated lately.

Actual the hotel's outer architecture looks like some of the concrete buildings from the seventies and the neighbourhood also. So it's no beauty, but worth the money.

Although my parents are a little bit fussy they enjoyed their stay and were really surprised at the excellent value for money.

I can recommend the Vitalis for business people and for people who take a city tour to munich. In the low season, when there are no fairs or no Oktoberfest, the room rates are unbeatable low!

• Liked — Great rates, cleanliness, located near city center
  • Disliked — Outside architecture looks ugly
  • Stayed December 2006, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)
A TripAdvisor Member
3 of 5 stars Reviewed March 31, 2006

I stayed there a couple of times for business reasons, rooms were ok (actually quite large), but the atmosphere and interior is not particularly flashy. Not to recommend: The breakfast in the (very truly 70ies style) basement.

• Stayed September 2005, traveled on business

Been to Hotel Vitalis? Share your experiences!