“Best hotel, especially with a promo room fare :)” 5 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Book early, up to 20% off
Ranked #97 of 385 Hotels in Munich
Stockholm, Sweden
“Best hotel, especially with a promo room fare :)”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 25, 2009

This hotel is, of course, great. I wasn't going to rate it since, doh, it is Hilton, but I do have some tips for all budget travellers who want to go there.
There are promo fares for this hotel. We usually choose low and medium priced hotels, but this one falls into the expensive category. We were lucky enough to get a deal on it and so we took it.
The advantages of there hotel, except the obvious ones:
- walking distance to the center (20 mins)
- good area
- near the cultural center Gasteig
- amazing breakfast worth every single penny - i have never had such a good breakfast experience, and I have stayed in other 4 star hotels
- Bio store and restaurant close by :)

If I found another deal on this hotel, I would take it and visit Munchen again, booking some tickets at Gasteig in advance :)

• Stayed March 2009, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (196)
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
USA
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 24, 2009

I read some less-than outstanding reviews here and our experience, by comparison, was very positive. We stayed on the Exec. floor and enjoyed complimentary snacks/drinks every night (including enough snacks to constitute dinner) and a good breakfast every morning. The drinks include beer (obviously!), wine and also all the other alcohol you'd expect (including Baileys-- personal favorite). It's a great location to downtown; right above an S-bahn station! Just 2 S-bahn stops to Mariaplatz and 4 to the Hauptbanhof. You can take it directly from the airport on the S-8: super convenient! Very clean and modern rooms and friendly service. Oktoberfest (just 15 minutes by S-bahn and U-bahn) was awesome if you like huge drunken crowds; we enjoyed it!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled as a couple
Malta
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 14, 2009

We stayed at the Hilton Munich for 8 nights at the start of September and I can only sum it up as the Good, the Bad and the Ugly.

THE GOOD

Location:
The hotel location is great since the S8 train line links directly from the airport (33 mins) to Rosenheimer Platz. This train stop has a direct link to the hotel. Since it is not easy to find I suggest that travellers walk to platform A and take the escalators from there. The hotel entrance is to your right. Rosenheimer Platz is two stops away from the MarienPlatz and basically links to all other line connections.

Hotel:
The hotel is clean and well kept. Staff speak very good English. The Executive suite is not the largest I have ever seen but it seems to cater for the demand. There is a free internet PC for executive suite guests.

Rooms:
We opted for a suite as we got a great rate via Internet. This was very spacious nicely furnished, a large flat screen TV + mini-bar, safe, coffee making facilities+ iron board, hairdryer. Toiletries provided were from Crabtree and Evelyn and were pretty nice.

Breakfast
We opted to have breakfast in the restaurant not the Executive lounge as there was more variety including a great omelette station. Top marks to the restaurant staff down there – Nelly, Nasserdrasse, Moritz to mention a few – genuine friendly top quality service.

THE BAD:

Airconditioning:
We complained every day that the airconditioning in our room was not cooling. It seems like we were not the only guests to complain about this. The executive suite reps kept sending maintenance people who, in my opinion did nothing, except provide us with a fan. If this were some guest house I could understand using a fan - but we are talking of a Hilton suite here. In my opinion the hotel is discreetly keeping its power costs down. I am not against the energy saving bulbs that seem to be everywhere in the hotel and I support this. However not providing cooling in temperatures varying between 25-29 degrees C (77-84 F) is criminal and a reason never to return again unless Jack Frost is walking the streets.

Executive Lounge
Some of the Executive lounge staff need coaching to remove their almost plastic smile – a big contrast with the restaurant staff below. Alcohol and some finger food is provided in the evening between 6.30/7pm until 8.30pm (8.00pm on weekends). This is a big contrast to other hotels (including other Hiltons) where this drags on even up to 10pm. Wine is only available in this 2 hour window which is a big disappointment. The finger food served was at times disappointing (eg: the same fried sausages one had just eaten that same morning for breakfast).

The airconditioning issue mentioned above even dragged itself to the Executive lounge. One evening some of us complained quite vociferously to the rep until she reached for her remote control set the temperatures lower. Bottom line is did we need to complain??? Both she and the waiteress were obviously feeling the heat.

THE UGLY

Checking in / checking out:
I booked a Junior K suite as I found a great internet rate. After receiving the confirmation of booking I was offered an option to upgrade to an exec suite for a fraction of its normal cost. I accepted but sent a note that I needed a suite as close as possible to the Exec suite to be able to be within range of our baby monitor. Unfortunately this request was totally ignored/overlooked and the best they could offer me was a room one storey below that was the Junior K suite I had originally booked.

Since the monitor worked to a degree, I accepted this suite (as I had no choice anyhow) to revert back to my original booking (obviously with the same rate). However, when I received my bill I discovered that the hotel applied another much higher rate than the one booked on line (an extra 560 Euro!!) Fortunately, I had a printed copy of the online bookings and the hotel eventually amended the rate.

However, as a customer, it was an unnecessary hassle both checking in and checking out that I did not need to experience.

All in all, the hotel has great potential but it seems to be let down by discreet cost cutting and it needs customer improvements in some areas mentioned above. Invariably because of these drawbacks I would seriously think twice before returning.

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Texas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2009

This was a great hotel for my family's first visit to Munich and for some their first visit to Europe. The location is excellent. The S8 train line goes directly from the airport to the Rosenheimer Platz stop which is directly below the hotel. It is also just a quick 2 stops away from the MarienPlatz and extremely convenient for other connections. There is also access just steps outside the front door of the hotel as well as downstairs.

The hotel is a modern, clean and welcoming place. The staff speak english and were very friendly and helpful. The rooms we got were standard and were more than adequate. Comfortable beds, clean modern bathrooms, flat screen tv, nice desk area, air conditioning, blow dryer, mini bar, roomy by European standards. We had a window that opened onto a lovely courtyard so our room was very quiet.

The hotel has a nice lounge where we relaxed after a busy day of sightseeing and watched the German national soccer team win their game against South Africa. We had tapas and beer (of course!) and enjoyed winding down after a long day. The hotel also gave us complimentary breakfast buffett which was lavish compared to the 'continental' breakfasts we've had at other hotels. They had a wide variety of fruits, yogurts, cereals, pastries, cold cuts, smoked salmon, fresh veggies, juices and even Champagne. They also had hot items such as made to order omlets, weisswurst, sausages, bacon, scrambled eggs, grilled tomatoes, fried potatoes, etc.

We thouroughly enjoyed staying at the Hilton Munich City and would highly recommend it for other visitors to Munich. The location is great, and it was a comfortable friendly place to come home to each night. Our compliments to the staff and management. We loved Munich and had a great vacation!!

• Stayed September 2009, traveled with family
Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2009

We booked the hilton as part of a package on orbitz.com and were happy with our rate.
It did not include breakfast though which was ok with us.
The hotel is fine, nice very clean rooms flat screen tv, quiet at night.
We were delayed and had to change plane on the way and so were very late getting there. This is where it's location above a S bahn line station was a gift. No searching involved. Airport, train, lobby!
The man on duty was very welcoming and pleasant.
The only negative aspects for me were the internet charges ( why?) and if you did want a breakfast it was 28 euro PER PERSON. Which is nothing short of extortionate.

Would highly recommend the hotel otherwise, the staff are all nice and helpful and the rooms are grand. Didn't even disturb us when we slept in twice over the week we were there.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled as a couple
Newark, NJ
2 of 5 stars Reviewed September 5, 2009

We recently stayed at the Munich City Hilton. The room was comfortable enough (although the hallways reeked of smoke), but we disliked the way we were treated by the hotel's management.

Even though there is a recession, this hotel sees no reason to go the extra mile to accommodate potential customers.

First, this hotel refuses to let more than three people sleep in any one room and requires guests to rent a second room if a family exceeds more than three people.

Second, although Hilton promises to rent the second room at half price, we were charged 7 Euro more than half price, for reasons still unclear and unpersuasive to me. Then, when we checked in, the very officious staff actually tried to not only charge us full rate for the second room but actually more than 19 Euros more than the first. They relented only after we produced written confirmation from Hilton quoting us the lesser price.

Third, although many Hiltons provide customary Internet access, persons using the Internet at this hotel will be hammered for 0.35 Euro per minute for Internet use. This resulted in substantial additonal charges, despite my relatively limited Internet use.

Fourth, this hotel also refused to include breakfast even though I am a Hilton Honours Gold member and give Hilton lots of business each year. The staff pointed out that my Hilton My Way preferences showed that I had elected 1,000 Hilton Honours points instead of a room upgrade and included free breakfast and refused to allow me to cancel the second and third nights and then rebook me once I changed my profile online to elect breakfast and the upgrade. No, I was told this was simply not possible - again, for reasons neither clear nor persuasive. As a result, I was put to buying breakfast three different mornings, which in Europe runs about 40 Euro for four persons.

Fifth, when I reviewed my Hilton points after the visit, Hilton failed to even credit my account with the 1000 point per stay credit. I had to call and remain on hold for about twenty minutes to get Hilton to issue the credit.

So, okay, Munich City Hilton, you nailed me on the My Way prefernece, and your staff was all too happy to hold me to the terms of the fine print. I, in turn, am all too happy to tell other potential customers how you treated me and my family, and how I plan to stay elsewhere next time I am in Munich.

Stayed August 2009, traveled with family
Central NJ
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 27, 2009

We stayed here for 2 nights and were lucky to get a 2 for 1 rate with breakfast included. The rooms and the breakfast were the nicest of all our hotels in Germany. Rooms were spotless and ready when we arrived early at noon. The desk staff was very helpful with directions and dining suggestions. Location is excellent--directly above subway stop (a direct route from airport), and only 2 stops away from Marienplatz.

• Stayed August 2009, traveled with family

Been to Hilton Munich City? Share your experiences!