“Hotel was "Meh" and They Ripped Us Off on Our Honeymoon” 2 of 5 stars

Special Offer
Summer Sale - From €119
Ranked #91 of 383 hotels in Munich
Atlanta, Georgia
“Hotel was "Meh" and They Ripped Us Off on Our Honeymoon”
2 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2014

We stayed here because we are gold Hilton HHonors members and we could stay for free while on our honeymoon. After paying for the wedding we did not have much left in the budget for hotels, and as we were going to be at Oktoberfest most of the time anyway, we decided to stay here. The hotel was nothing to write home about in terms of the interior or rooms. The biggest benefit was that it was right above a subway, but it was in kind of a dead area in terms of walking around outside the hotel.

My biggest complaint however, is that even though I made my reservation with points, they charged by credit card $500 for a single night. I disputed the charge for months afterward, but they refused to honor the original reservation. This is not the first issue I've had with Hilton charging me inaccurately and then refusing to provide any recourse. Even if you are a loyal customer to the brand, when there is a dispute you have to deal with the individual hotel and the hotels have no incentive to provide decent customer service (because what is the liklihood that I'll be back in Munich any time soon). So, at this point, I'm going to cancel my Hilton credit card and get something with generic travel benefits, as it has been a financial loss to be a member of Hilton's loyalty program at this point.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, January 10, 2014
Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to use the opportunity to thank you for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich City and sharing your experiences on Tripadvisor.

I do apologise for the inconvenience regarding the credit card and also that you feel you were billed for the wrong amount. I would be very interested to learn more about this as I am not aware of this issue.

I was also surprised to read you felt that the hotel is in a “dead area” as we are often complemented on the choice of bars and restaurants in the location as we are in fact middle in the “cultural area” of Munich Haidhausen.

I would be very grateful if you could contact me personally at PhilipG.Murray@hilton.com. So I can look into these matters and hopefully be able to restore your faith in our brand.

I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Best regards from Munich

1,417 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (140)
  • Greek first
Seattle, WA
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 7, 2014

I highly recommend this hotel for the price and location! We have stayed here on 3 separate occasions and will return again. The hotel room we were in, 1134, showed a little wear and tear, but the shower pressure was good and the room was quiet - we were nervous as it is directly above their truck receiving area, but we didn't hear a peep. The breakfast is excellent, pricey for a family of 5, but if you can get a promotion for a reduce rate or free breakfast, the food is all fresh, well presented and the wait staff very attentive.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Hotels & Resorts

Ramona R, Executive Office at Hilton Munich City, responded to this review, January 8, 2014
Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you very much for your comments on Tripadvisor and recent stay at Hilton Munich City.

Reading your review I was able to conclude that enjoyed your stay with us. We have taken your feedback regarding the room and are undertaking a review of this room.

We do look forward to welcoming you back as our guest in Munich.

Wishes from Munich,

Shanghai
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

The ideal hotel to get started in Munich. Convinient the location in between center and Au. Also enyouful for jogging along the river Isar. Only a few steps away from the restaurant are around Rosenheimer Platz. Very good, modern restaurants of different flavor. Also in walking distance from the Hofbräuhaus and German museum. Leave your car in the garage and take the subway. Station access directly from the hotel.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

We would like to take the opportunity to thank you very much for choosing to stay at Hilton Munich and sharing your positive feedback on Tripadvisor.

Thank you for your warm words about our hotel and especially our high quality service. It was also pleasing to read that you enjoyed our central location.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back as our guest in the near future.

Best regards,

Columbus, Ohio
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 6, 2014

Location of the hotel is great, walked to old town in 15 minutes with lots of site seeing along the way. The executive lunge and breakfast are great. sheets are clean and hilton standard. Staff are very helpful and check in and out are speedy. Mostly the healthiness of the German economy shows in this lively city vs. other European cities which were filled with stressed people sometimes staffs in service industry.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

First of all I would like to thank you very much for your recent stay at Hilton Munich City and sharing your positive experiences with us and also on Tripadvisor. We hope you had a safe journey home.

I was delighted to read that you found our hotel to your liking. It was particularly pleasing to see your kind words regarding our team members and I will gladly pass your comments on to them.

We are looking forward to welcoming you back as our guest in Munich in the future.

In the meantime, if you have any further questions, please do contact me directly at any time.

Best regards

Hong Kong
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 5, 2014

Rooms are adequately spacious and bright (unless you get one on the first floor), and the breakfast buffet is excellent. The mattresses are on the soft side though (and old so I felt like I was sleeping in a valley). Don't bother paying for the in-room internet unless you can see the router within 20 feet of your room door. Otherwise it is just a waste of money and you will get extremely frustrated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with family

Dear Guest,

We would like to thank you for your recent stay at Hilton Munich City and sharing your feedback with us.

It was pleasing to read that you enjoyed our great breakfast buffet which is indeed often remarked upon. Unfortunately I could conclude that you thought our internet was too expensive and of low quality. We do offer free Wi-Fi in all public areas and I will certainly review the signal with our IT-Department.

We are looking forward to your next stay with us.

With nice regards

London, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 stars Reviewed January 3, 2014

Our stay here was nothing special. I liked the hotel for its location but the level of service offered by many of the staff was lower than I expected of the Hilton brand. I couldn't bring myself to pay 25 euro a day for internet but thankfully on the first floor I was close enough to use the free lobby internet, although I had to discover the partly hidden sign with access details for myself as the hotel guide mentioned very little about internet access.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple

Dear Guest,

May thanks for taking the time out to review our hotel following your stay with us.

It was disappointing to read you felt our service was not up to scratch during your visit. I do apologise for this and I will certainly share your feedback with the team at our next management meeting. Please rest assured this is not the standard or service we are known for.

It is no secret we offer complementary internet in the public areas of the hotel and I am pleased you were able to avail of it.

We do hope to welcome you back as our guest in Munich.

Best wishes from Munich

Fort Collins, Colorado
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 2, 2014

We were very pleased with our stay at the Hilton. As a Hilton Gold member, we were given an upgrade to the Executive Floor upon request, providing access to the lounge. One of the nice benefits at this hotel is they offered us the option of complimentary breakfast either in the lounge or the full breakfast buffet, which was exceptional! The staff was friendly and worked on our behalf to retrieve lost luggage. We absolutely loved the location with the S-Bahn station directly below the hotel, allowing easy access to frequent trains all around the city. The rooms themselves were fine and the bed was especially comfortable. All in all, an excellent stay for us in Munich!

Room Tip: There are numerous ways to get Hilton Gold status, which is totally worth it for the free breakfast...