“Absolutely amazing food and ambiance” 5 of 5 stars

Cuisines: Contemporary, Fusion
Good for: Romantic, Special occasions, Doing business
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations
Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
“Absolutely amazing food and ambiance”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 19, 2013

As other reviewers have said before me, Tramin has a relaxed and unstuffy atmosphere with no specific dress code (the waiters wear jeans, so what the heck, anything goes!) However, the food is no slouch.

There is no menu as such, you just choose how many courses you would like to eat and whether or not you would like them to be accompanied by a glass of wine chosen especially to complement the food. While I had the four courses (70 euro) with sparkling water (cheap date!), my partner went the whole hog and had nine courses with seven wines (175 euro) - and a lot of water! The nice surprise on this front was that the water was not overpriced. In total we drank four and a half litres and it came in at around 12 euro.

My four courses comprised two fish, one venison and a desert. However there was also an amuse-bouche and savoury and sweet petit fours thrown in for good measure, plus home-made bread specialities. My partners langoustine I think was the star of the show, and this just one of the starters, although the venison main course was melt-in-your-mouth fabulous.

The waiting staff were exceedingly knowledgeable with regard to the wines, dishes and ingredients, and explained everything in each exquisite creation.

Expect metallic food pearls bursting with flavour, foams, mousses, crumbled dried berries and for good measure, the totally unexpected.

Restaurant decor is minimal, and while the rest rooms have had some serious money spent on them (check out the fabulous hand basins), the dining room is less polished, although I expect that was the aim. As one would anticipate, top quality V&B china and cutlery are used throughout, with a different shaped plate for every course.

I have two slight niggles:
(i) the seats were uncomfortable for a bare-legged lady, with seat cushions comprising a minimalist square of rather itchy felt;
(ii) it was about 35C in Munich and the air-con appeared to be non-existent; we may have been cooler if we had taken the sitting outside option.

Otherwise, I couldn't fault. A must visit if you are lucky enough to be in Munich.

• Visited June 2013

Viseu, Viseu, Portugal
“A different Michelin star...”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 16, 2013

For people somewhat familiar with Michelin type dinning experiences, Tramin offers something a little different. It´s a small restaurant with a very relaxed setting, opposite the more formal and sometimes even "stuffy" environment you would normally find at a Michelin starred restaurant.

The Tramin staff is also lots of fun, joking with us at times, and one of them even had (lots of) tattoos.

Tramin also doesn´t have the "regular" tasting menu: we inform the chef of anything we don´t like or are allergic to, and then pick the number of plates we want.

We went for the 7 plate menu with wine parings, and all together we had about 11 different dishes.

As you might expect, the quality of the food, the ingredients, the presentation, and the wines, is top notch. Every detail was almost always perfect.

The only negative thing I can point to, and that kept this dinning experience from ranking up there with other Michelin star experiences, was the fact that of the 5 main dishes, 4 were fish with matching white wines. Even though there was nothing wrong with the "Riesling", for my personal taste, the best white wine does´t come close to a great red wine. And of course, I also prefer meat over fish :-)

The price was 300 Euros plus tip.

Overall, very good dinning experience, that I recommend.

• Visited October 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
London
“Incredible”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 1, 2012

We spent a couple of days in Munich in October and found Tramin online looking for a Michelin starred restaurant with something a bit different. This place is fantastic and I cannot praise it enough - we had one the best meals I've ever had. The tasting menu was incredible: imaginative, delicious and brilliantly executed. It was miles better than many one and two-star Michelin restaurants I've been to in London. The ambiance was great (stylish and intimate, but totally unpretentious), the wine list was excellent and the staff were friendly and happy to make recommendations. If you get the chance to go, definitely go!

• Visited October 2012
Prescott, Arizona
“a must do for foodies”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 28, 2012

Tramin was recommended by the executive chef on our Viking Cruise which led us to make a reservation during our Munich vacation in Sept 2012. This is a terrific restaurant in a quiet area. The staff was top notch but not stuffy at all. We took the 5 course offering with wine pairing. This is one of the top eating experiences we have tried.

• Visited September 2012
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
SoCal
“Memorable meal for a special event.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

Recently went to Tramin to celebrate our 25th Anniversary. This restaurant is about a 15 minute walk from Hotel Torbrau. This is not a traditional German restaurant and is known for its unique food. It has a MIchelin Star.

Very small restaurant with a different style of choosing your foods. You will tell the waitress what you like and what you do not like, and they will prepare a meal for you. Your choice is how many courses you want, two of us chose 5 courses and three of chose 6 courses. I am lactose intolerant and this was taken into consideration with my meal. So what you are going to get is a complete surprise!

While the portions are small, the food was perfectly presented and beautiful to look at. Due to the richness of the food and the intense flavors, no one left hungry! We did not all get the same selections, but the tastes were superb. If you are into molecular cooking--food that is reduced to flavors and small, but intense balls, these are mixed into some of the offerings, both a frozen offerings and small gelatin balls. My favorite dish was a shortrib dish with a wine reduction, presentation was perfect and taste was even better.

Wines were very well matched to the meal and the wait staff was excellent. They also gave each of us another dessert with a celebratory message drizzled on to it for our anniversary.

Price to food quality was very good, I was very satisfied with the meal and the evening, would definitely consider coming back and recommending it to my friends and relatives. If you want a unique and memorable meal, Tramin Restaurant is a great choice.

Visited September 2012