“Good, but not great.” 3 of 5 stars

Ranked #28 of 383 hotels in Munich
Bergen, Norway
“Good, but not great.”
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 1, 2012

I recently stayed at this hotel over the beginning of the "Oktoberfest" period. I was impressed with the promptness of the staff and their professional approach. We had booked a suite for four people, but initially it was set up for only two. This was quickly rectified. HOWEVER......We were misinformed upon booking this hotel that we would have four separate beds in our room given that we were four gents staying in the room - what we were given and what we had to put up with was one king bed and one "small" double size sofa bed (which was broken and provided rather sore backs in the lumbar area each morning).

Hence, if you are looking for a hotel where you need to have three or more individual beds in a large room (which apparently can house four people), don't stay here.

Hotel felt very businesslike and a bit soul-less, however, it remained clean, professional and overall I was satisfied with the business, but not satisfied with having to share a bed with my buddy each night after paying 300-400 Euro per night for this room for four nights.

Thanks!

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends

802 people have reviewed this hotel

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (79)
Lenexa, Kansas
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2012

My friend and I arrived early, 9 AM on Friday morning the day before Oktoberfest started, and I was worried that they wouldn't let us check in early. I was surprised and happy that they had a room for us and were more than happy to check us in early.

We had the suite so I was only expecting to have a bedroom and a living room area. I was blown away at the room they gave us. We were given room 317. This is a corner room on the street side. The room was huge. There was an extra space for a large table that seats 8 and an extra powder room. I checked the fire escape plans and confirmed that this room is the largest on that floor.

Some things I should point out based on other reviews:

1. Even though this was on the street side, noise was not really an issue. You would have to be a very light sleeper for it to be a problem.

2. Europeans are very conservative with water so they will not give you a fresh towels everyday. If you want that you will need to leave your towels on the floor or ask the front desk for new ones.

3. I can't speak to the food at the restaurant as I never ate there. There are cheaper places off of Hackerbrüke in the Bus station.

I don't have any complaints about this hotel as I am very easy to please. Overall I enjoyed my week here and would use this hotel again.

Room Tip: Choose room 317 if you reserved a suite.
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Mumbai (Bombay), India
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 27, 2012

We stayed here in a family apartment in May 2012. I was with my family (kids 6,9) and my wife. I paid Euro 210 per night including all taxes not including breakfast. Here was what I experienced -

Cons

1) The hotel breakfast was the worst quality relative to what we ate over our 14 day stay across 3/4 hotels all over the region. There was reasonable variety but overall the quality of the spread - the breads, the fresh cheese, the hot items was really not memorable. This had a more "business" like feel to the spread like they were checking boxes to include items and was missing the tiny touches, the chefs involvement and the "suprise" and "delight" factor.
2) The swimming pool area - as per their site was supposed to be "most exclusive pool in Bavaria" so i was very hopeful - it turned out to be a nice enough pool but it would be overcrowded if there were more than 3 families in it. Also the tiles around the pool area were so slippery that the two times we went swimming we were afraid of falling and breaking our head and really hurting ourselves. The hotel must replace them or there will be some guest who will be seriously injured.
3) The overall look and feel - lacked warmth. I thought this is a chain of Spanish origin and my experiences with Spain are really warm, rich experiences and lovely,warm people but the black (and white?) decor, long empty corridors leading to the room, the big impersonal and lobby area with "designer" but uncomfortable sofas and even the breakfast area - all felt cold and not cosy at all - not nice when you are seeking a welcoming feeling from the hotel surroundings as well on a holiday.
4) Although its near the Hauptbahnof its not walking distance from the main shopping area which is a 10 minute train ride or 15 minute tram ride away.

The pros
1) Centrally located - one local station train ride and even a tram ride away from the Hauptbahnof - hence great accessibility to public transport.
2) A modern structure, nicely appointed rooms, well furnished, nice wood floors but a black and red bathroom (not that appealing to me and poor toiletries i thought as well).
3) Pleasant staff at the reception but missed human interaction here. Even on the 2 days at breakfast - the staff was all businesslike and didn't really stop to have a moment which is so important in the hospitality business.

I wouldn't come back here only because i didn't get that feeling of warmth through my stay at the hotel despite its convenient location. On business or leisure i would look elsewhere to stay.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with family
Sydney, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 21, 2012

Modern hotel with excellent facilities and, in our view, a great location. The intercity bus terminal is nearby and the Hauptbahnhoff is only 500 metres away. You are well away from the hustle and bustle of Marienplatz and Viktualienmarkt, but still close enough to walk to them whenever you want. Also, a tram stop is located immediately in front of the hotel.

When initially arriving at the hotel it appears as if there are no places nearby to eat - however things are not what they seem. Augustiner Keller is just down the road and there is a lovely small restaurant in the street behind the hotel overlooking a new park area. Excellent restaurants, filled with local residents can be found in the nearby Maillingerstrasse and Nymphenburgerstrasse areas.

Give this Hotel a try and explore some great local spots - you will not be disappointed. We weren't!

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 9, 2012

The free parking in the neighborhood was great.They have a good breakfast. No stores or places to eat close by after 8 pm.The pool is awesome. Nice modern design. The transit is a medium walk from the hotel. I would stay again.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled as a couple
Canberra, Australia
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 8, 2012

A short walk from the train station to the airport this hotel is well located. A modern styled hotel with crisp decor. The dining room was very spacious with a variety of foods. It has an indoor heated pool upstairs.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with family
Redditch, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 3, 2012

We purposefully chose this hotel for its location within walking distance of Hackerbrucke station, a tram stop within a few metres of the hotel entrance and a pleasant direct walk to Marienplatz. We got around the city and further out with ease by buying a 3 day ticket that could be used on all public transport and left the car in the hotel garage. We booked direct on the hotel website a couple of days before arrival and got a good deal including parking, breakfast and late check out averaging 150 euros per night which we felt was good value for location and type of hotel. It is only a couple of years old and pictures on the web do look like the hotel.

We had a room overlooking the main street where the trams run but weren't disturbed. The room was spacious and comfortable. The huge bed was made up of two big singles which weren't secured together so did slip apart. The bathroom has a separate toilet.

Good selection for breakfast but sometimes service a bit slow to request coffee.

I would recommend this hotel and stay there again myself.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple

Been to Eurostars Grand Central? Share your experiences!