“Outstanding Choice” 5 of 5 stars

Dining options: Breakfast/Brunch, Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Phoenix, Arizona
“Outstanding Choice”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 17, 2014

This brew house a little off the beaten path, though very close to the main square in Old Town Munich. We had a wonderful meal there, the service was outstanding as was the food. We shared two of their specialties, the weiner shnitzel and the steak with onions and both were outstanding. The portions were quite large too. Being off on a small side street, this restaurant doesn't seem to get the mobs of tourists that some other Old Town restaurants do.

• Visited June 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food

Fort Worth, Texas
“Quaint Place, Good Traditional Bavarian Food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 15, 2014

We had dinner at this very traditional Bavarian style restaurant on an attractive corner of Duernbraugasse in Old town. The interior is made up of large group table and smaller tables for couples or small parties (you can alos sit outside). The decor is decidedly German/Bavarian...dark wood, ceiling beams, old photos, stain glass window...very cosy. The waitresses wear the traditional German clothes (not sure the name for it) .

The service was prompt and friendly with a bit of a language barrier but we got through it fine. Ordered some recommended beer and then our appetizers: Old Bavarian Bread Soup (Brotsuppe) that was very savory and was something you would really crave on a cold winter's night.
For our entrees we skipped the interesting traditional Bavarian dishes they offer like Calf's Spleen, Ox Muzzle, Calf's HEAD, and Calf's lung, and opted for more cowardly items like Ente: Roasted Duck straight out of the oven served with red cabbage and potatoe dumplings....another savory delicious HUGE dish to be had on a cold night, the duck was perfect. The other entree was Gemusestrudel: Strudel filled with vegetable, topped with a creamy sauce with herbs and parmesan cheese...rich and hearty..very good.
An all around great meal and service...though we did have one mishap as our waitress suddenly disappeared and when we saw her again she was holding her forehead and had tears in her eyes...a headache perhaps?? We got another waitress who took care of the bill no harm done.

• Visited May 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
Dallas, Texas
“Extremely friendly and welcoming!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 14, 2014

We had a late lunch here shortly after we arrived in Munich. We were greeted with a big smile and hello as soon as we walked in the door. Sometimes, as a tourist you do not always feel welcome, but this restaurant is very warm and welcoming. The food is great as well and provides a great German food experience. We would recommend. We were there on a very rainy day. Wish the weather was better as the outdoor patio looks great.

• Visited April 2014
    • 5 of 5 stars Food
Munich, Germany
“so arrogant”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed July 11, 2014

I have read so many positive reviews on the restaurant so I brought my parents here when they visited me in Munich. Honestly speaking, I am not a fan of German food, but once for all, for the "tourists", a Bavarian dinner seems a must.
My parents come from China. They got used to the hot food and beverage. My dad already got some stomachache during our travel, eating Western food all the time. Therefore, I ordered hot water for him. When the bill came, the glass of hot water (0.2 l) was charged EUR 2.8, labelled as "tea". When I asked the waiter with quite friendly tone and a smile, he expressed in an annoyed and arrogant way: "You guys just want to have everything for free. We have to wash the cup, cooked the water for you. Of course it should be charged." And, he added, “IF YOU WANT, I CAN GIVE YOU THE TEA BAG".
I dined in so many restaurants in my life, I never ever experienced something like this. The waiter gave me an impression that from his perception, all the customers want to take advantage from him/them. I regretted the tips I gave, which happened before the conversation. (my own fault, of course.)

From the food perspective, the Schweinhaxe was over/cooked. The fish salad was tasteless. The only positive point about the restaurant was the location-- not faraway from the main shopping area, yet quiet and peaceful.

However, the atmosphere could not make up for the quality of the food and the arrogance of the service staff. Never again here. We are in Munich, there are dozens of other traditional bavarian restaurants for us to try.

• Visited July 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 2 of 5 stars Food
Copenhagen, Copenhagen, Denmark
“Well cooked classical Bavarian food”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 9, 2014

Nice, cosy restaurant placed on a quieter little street in the center. Good and plenty food served by helpful and smiling waiters who spoke English.

• Visited July 2014