“Warm Bavarian charm; Beautiful location” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Forsthaus Graseck

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Garmisch-Partenkirchen
Forsthaus Graseck
You added Forsthaus Graseck to your Saves list
4.0 of 5 Hotel   |   Graseck 4, 82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria, Germany   |
Fairfax, VA USA
“Warm Bavarian charm; Beautiful location”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed January 8, 2012

Our children loved the tiny cable car adventure to get to this Bavarian guest house. We sat next to a warm fireplace and had a hearty dinner in the restaurant and watched numerous "torch walk" tours arrive for fondue dinner. One of the most Gemütlichkeit evenings we've ever had. Next morning had a hearty breakfast and borrowed walking sticks and headed out through the Partenkirchen Gorge hike. Ice curtains, a rushing clear mountain stream, and dark carve outs in the cliffs, but still and easy safe hike. Our 7 and 9 year olds have yet another unforgettable memory from this hotel! Don't critique the little things like Internet or old tvs and enjoy the Bavarian charm of this place in one of the mot beautiful settings and with kind owners we appreciated. Thanks for a great stay.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled with family

Business
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Haifa, Israel
3 of 5 stars Reviewed December 16, 2011

First, let me just say that the area that this hotel is in is absolutely gorgeous. I guess that's why they can charge the higher price for their rooms. From what I have read the hotel was built in 1920. I guess for being that old it really is standing up well and is maintained well. But the spa hasn't been. True the steam room and the sauna were great! But the hot tubs don't get hot and the warm water only lasts about 10 minutes before it drains. I did complain to the management and they said that there was nothing they would do and that we still had to pay the 10 euros. My next disappointment is that for the price we paid I would expect to get free internet service. Not so. One hour was 4.95 euros. Six hundred mintues was 19.95 euros. Kind of pricey for when you consider that the rooms are 85 euros and then the slap you with a huge VAT tax. Then there was the resturant in the hotel. Our opinion it was also too high priced. That's my complaints. Now for the good part. The area it is in is gorgeous! It is 903 meters up. You have to take a small cable car to get to the hotel. The View from our room(201) was beyond words. And then the snow started and the place turned into a winter wonderland. Then we hiked down to see the gorge which was breath taking. That was the only thing I thought was priced right.(4 Euros) We also went on an excursion to the highest point in Germany(Sugspitze). We highly recomment this day trip. Dress warmly though it was -13 with a 40 mph wind. All in all my wife and I can say the good points out weighed the bad. We would like to return in the fall when all the trees will be turning colors. What a show that must be.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Stuttgart, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed October 4, 2011

This was a fine stay. Let me give some details:
The road to the cable car is mostly used by pedestrians and cyclists, and my visting over a German public holiday weekend made navigating through scores of people very difficult. It's past the Olympic Arena, and then just keep going - there is a little notice board saying "Graseck Cable Car this way".
Other readers have said to pack light because of limited space in the cable car - it's not only the limited space, but also kind of an uphill dirt road to the cable car building, which can make the luggage transportation even more difficult. I took out all my bags from the car and went up to the cable car building - only to be given a little "parking note" to put in your windscreen at the cable car house, meaning you have to go back to the car to put it in. Not a big issue, but worth considering. (The boards say the parking is for guests of Forsthaus Graseck only, therefore you need something to validate your parking).

Once at the top (it takes about 3 minutes by cable car), check in was smooth. I had a single room and was a little disappointed that there was no TV, and the restaurant didn't look that nice. I mean, a single traveller would appreciate a TV, in the absence of companions! Although I found my bed comfortable, it squeaked something terrible. The shared bathrooms were fine - 3 toilets and one shower/bath.

As I said, because the restaurant didn't look that appealing, I went down to Partenkirchen to dine in town and do some sightseeing. Note the cable car is VERY dark at night - might be scary for some people with fear of heights and dark!

Breakfast was a bit weird - they put your name and the number of persons on the table, so you have to sit where they assign your seat. Because I was alone, I was put up close and personal with another single traveller who didn't have much to say - so it ended up a little uncomfortable. Also, a party of 4 turned up to find their spot has been occupied by other guests (already gone) and the tables don't get cleaned right after a party has finished - so the party of 4 found dirty breakfast stuff all over their table. They had to find a waitress to clean up first, which took a while - it sounded like they said it happened again (assuming the previous day). Nothing to do with me, but just thought I should mention it, should it happen to you!
The selection of food was fine (cold meats, cheese, buns, cereals, yoghurt and eggs you can boil yourself).

For €35 this is fine, especially as you can ride the cable car for free and you get some discounts with a card they give you at reception. I went hiking and the location of the hotel is nice, as it's already halfway up a very steep hill, so you miss that bit. Non-guests can use the cable car at €3.50 or something thereabouts and when I returned from my hike around noon, there was a long queue to go up.

As someone said, it's not your typical "middle of town spot", but if you have a car, or have your heart set on hiking from the bus stop (about 20-30mins) this is something else. Great views.

• Stayed October 2011, traveled solo
Mull, Scotland
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 18, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for about a week with friends and had an excellent stay.

It is a bit rough around the edges in parts--for example, there are a few stains on the carpet, a few scrapes in the paint-work, and some of the decor probably has not been in fashion for a while. But the overall atmosphere is very warm and quaint and traditional (Bavarian).

The location cannot be beaten. This hotel is situated in a beautiful area. There are excellent views from nearly every part of the hotel. Hikes to a variety of locations start right in the garden of the hotel. There is an unusual (probably harrowing for people who don't like heights and thrilling for those who do) cable car service up to the hotel. It was first built in 1954 and the cars are tiny (big enough for two or three people).

The staff were all very friendly and went far out of their way to be helpful.

There is internet service available through Virgin Mobile. It needs to be paid for, but there are a variety of options that make it affordable for almost every budget.

Summary:
I highly recommend this hotel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor. The lower floors have wooden floors; friends staying on those flo...
  • Stayed September 2011, traveled with friends
Chestertown, Maryland
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 15, 2011

One of the many lodges around the Zugspitze network of trails, this old 1920's era lodge requires that you take a 4-person gondola to get to the top (parking located above the Olympic Complex at the top of the road. Nestled in a little alpine valley that faces Zugspitze, this hotel has a restaurant and pay-to-use sauna. We stayed one night and a day, in which we had lunch + dinner, hiked the canyon, and hung out around the grounds. Staff were helpful and the setting was beautiful, albeit foggy at times. Past it's current prime, we still loved the Forsthaus for the balance of eccentrics, location, and price.

Room Tip: Slightly worn, but we weren't staying for the room, but the location.
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled with family
Laukaa, Finland
3 of 5 stars Reviewed August 5, 2011

We did not have a place overnight and looked at the cataloque in tourist info. we chose this hotel. Navigator didn´t find the place. But a nice receptionist helped and it was a big surprise how to go there. A small gondole lift took us up in the middle of clouds an there was a very nice old hotel in the mountains. Rooms were average, food was good, price was ok. If we had had time more and it hadn´t rained in the evening we would have walked through Partnachklamm, which is worth seeing...

• Stayed July 2011, traveled with friends
White Rock, Canada
4 of 5 stars Reviewed July 20, 2011

I have to say this place was hard to find! The GPS kept directing us onto this pedestrian path, we tried for an hour to find another way.! It turned out that was the correct access route! Go past the Olympic ski jump area and continue driving on the road to The Partnach Gorge (ignore the signs that say no cars) Park in the hotel lot and take the gondola up the hill.( In the middle of the day there are a lot of hikers on the road )
The hotel was very clean, and the room had a beautiful view of the mountains. The staff were nice and the restaurant was good. The place is very quiet at night.
The best part is the hiking which starts right at the door, green meadows with the sound of the bells on the goats and cows. The lovely mountain views and when you get tired there are the alpine Gasthofs along the way where you can stop for a strudel and a Weiss Bier! Can't do that in North America.
Note: Website I used said there were only a couple of rooms left when I booked but seemed like it was at least half empty.
Anyway I would recomend Forsthaus Graseck, the cable car ride is a bonus!

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple

Been to Forsthaus Graseck? Share your experiences!