Not to state the obvious but don't go when everybody else has vacation or a four day weekend. Edelweiss is better enjoyed during the week or during off-peak periods. Also, make sure you check if there are any conferences taking place during your visit (lots of commands take advantage of Edelweiss as a good off-site meeting location).
We visited Edelweiss after Thanksgiving and before Christmas. We really enjoyed the facilities. Our son enjoyed the swimming pool and free little merry-go-round. The gym was decent with at least six treadmills, six elliptical machines, some bikes, and a free weight station. The regular buffet was average which you would expect when you make food for hundreds of people at a time. However, the there was a large selection of various meats, entrees, fruits, vegetables, and beverages. I recommend the Champagne brunch if you are there on Sunday because the food is above average to excellent. The Champagne brunch is different than the standard, everyday brunch and cost a more but the quality is far superior to the regular buffet. I recommend going over to the AAFES Exchange across the road to pick up winter gear as the selection there is far superior to the selection at the Stuttgart AAFES and the prices were very reasonable.
As for attractions, I would recommend driving to the following places:
1. Zugspitze - Highest peak in Germany. Many cable cars take you to the top of the peak. On a clear day you can see many miles.
2. Oberemergau - Lots of Christmas markets and quaint shopping in a nice to walk downtown area.
3. Downtown Garmish - more good shopping. At the Christmas market we were able to get traditional Christmas items much cheaper than at Kathy Wolfart.
4. Neuschwanstein Castle - The inspiration for Disney's princess castles. Beautiful views and horse-drawn carriage rides.
- Also Known As:
- Edelweiss Hotel
- Edelweiss Hotel Garmisch-Partenkirchen
- Edelweiss Hotel Garmisch Partenkirchen
- Edelweiss Resort Garmisch Partenkirchen
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Long revered as one of the most desirable destinations in the Bavarian Alps, the Garmisch-Partenkirchen area is an idyllic location nestled at the foot of sweeping Alpine vistas and home to the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort. Just 56 miles from Munich, 34 miles from Innsbruck, the Edelweiss Lodge and Resort is located in the heart of Europe. ... more less