“The only true "foody" experience in Garmisch” 5 of 5 stars

Improve this listing
Cuisines: Fusion
Good for: Large groups
Dining options: Dinner, Reservations, Late Night
Description: Opening times: Monday to Saturday 5:30 p.M. To 11 p.M.
Jacksonville, Florida
“The only true "foody" experience in Garmisch”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed March 4, 2014

This small 30 seat restaurant is powered by passion and has a very loyal local following, we were the only tourists there. The staff was extremely friendly and English speaking so don't be afraid to call for a reservation. When we called they were full, but they called us back when they had an opening- that doesn't happen in most restaurants. The Menu changes often and is notably non traditional and original with a strong emphasis on local produce. Portions were smaller in keeping with the gourmet style but not unreasonably so, I would recommend a soup or starter along with the main course if you are hungry. Our table of four had 1 soup, 2 salads, 1 starter, 4 mains, and 2 desserts for 125 euros. Soups/salads/starters were 5-10 eurso, mains 10-25 euros and desserts 5 euros. We thought it was well priced for the quality. Substitutions were accommodated and in one case the chef made a completely different side to avoid a dietary restriction. If you are in Garmisch and want a well made healthy gourmet meal or are just tired of Bavarian food this is a great place to go.

Orgiano, Italy
“Excellent meal”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 25, 2014

Outstanding, fresh, inventive cuisine. Definitely not your typical German fare. Very attractive ambience, and wonderful wait staff. A real treat.

Key West
“Best restaurant in Garmisch!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed February 12, 2014

I live in Garmisch and I have eaten at VAUN often over the last 2 years. I've loved every single one of my meals there! The food is wonderful, so is the ambiance, the decor AND the service. If you're in the mood for something outside the typical Bavarian meal you can get anywhere in the area, this is it and you will not be disappointed. The menu changes every few weeks so I personally love to return and discover the new flavors of the month. The products are local and seasonal which makes the meal even more palatable. I recommend you make a reservation. It is a small place with outside seating in the summer.

Arlington, Virginia
“Nice meal, great atmosphere”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 10, 2014

I love the way this place is decorated. It is a very small space but you wouldn't really know or feel that because everything is so clean and a little rustic - they use a lot of wood for decoration but it's light colored wood. The food is good and they have many wines by the glass that are decent priced. We were surpised by the quality of the meal how cheap it was (we were expecting to pay 100+ euros for two people). We each had a starter/appetizer, two entrees, dessert, two glasses of wine and a bottle of water. We came out around 70 euros. Definitely a more quiet restaurant and is good for laid back or special occaisions. The waitress/owner also speaks English and they have an English menu.

• Visited January 2014
    • 4 of 5 stars Atmosphere
    • 4 of 5 stars Food
park city
“Great meal in Garmisch without vienerschnitzel”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed February 4, 2014

We had a terrific meal at Vaun, with good service and charming atmosphere. I am celiac so had to dine gluten free and Vaun was most accommodating. They knew exactly what I couldn't eat, and the lovely server spoke perfect English, I do not speak any German.
Had salmon and salad, my husband had chicken and salad, both were well prepared and a nice change from the usual heavier fare that we had expected.
I would highly recommend Vaun for dinner if in Garmsich, but not the skiing this year! There is no snow!