“Great location and value off season” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Riessersee Hotel Resort

You added Riessersee Hotel Resort to your Saves list
Riessersee Hotel Resort
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Riess 5, 82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria, Germany   |
GreenLeadersSilver level
Truckee, California
“Great location and value off season”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed November 13, 2011

This hotel has a great location on a small lake above Garmisch. Our room was only 119 euro including breakfast which we felt was excellent value for a lovely hotel with a spa. We travel with a large dog and really enjoyed taking him for a moonlight walk around the lake. The rooms are typical european size,nicely furnished with comfortable beds. The spa pool is big enough to swim short laps. The changing room is tiny and you have to remember a Euro coin if you need a locker. All the rooms are provided with large toweling robes so most people will change in their room but it may require a short walk outside. The saunas are small with an outside area for cooling off. I can imagine at peak season the spa might be crowded but we had no problems. Breakfast buffet was great,large selection of hot and cold foods even some mini Weisswurst. We were fairly early at breakfast and nothing ever ran out. I read all the recent English and German language reviews. While I agree that service in the restaurants is not great we had no major problems. One reviewer was unhappy that they forgot to bring cutlery with a main course, same thing happened to us but I did not feel it spoiled our meal. We found the food good. The Garden restaurant had a nice salad buffet, soup and main course. Second night we were in the See restaurant. The food was good very tasty but no salad buffet just soup and main course a little disappointing. We had no problems with cleanliness of the room. The room had been completely refurbished since we stayed here 2 years ago. I cannot say that the reception staff were friendly but they were not unfriendly just business like. They were very helpful when we needed advice on hikes. Our only critcism overall is the high Internet access rates with no free Wifi even in the reception area.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (9)
Stuttgart, Germany
3 of 5 stars Reviewed September 30, 2011

My husband and I stayed here in September for two nights in one of the Master Suites. Although it was nicely appointed and the two bathrooms were large, the suite itself was rather narrow. Between us and our two dogs, it was tough to maneuver around.

Our two evenings there, we dined at the hotel's restaurants. The first night we had the buffet in the Restaurant Sommergarten. It was 25 euro each, but wasn't that great. The main courses were bland, but the salad and finger foods were good. The service, however, was outstanding. The second night we ate in the See Restaurant. Once again, the service was excellent, but the food was just average.

Lastly, the maid service was less than stellar. There were cigarette butts left on the patios outside from the previous occupants and the floors were dirty. They also neglected to refill the coffee canisters, but luckily we had our own portable coffee maker and coffee with us. There were also no coffee mugs in the room. We had to go grab some from the restaurant.

The best thing about the hotel is its surroundings. It sits on a beautiful lake and there is plenty of great hiking to do. I'm glad I visited, but once is enough at the Riessersee.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
St. Albans, United Kingdom
4 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

Spent a nice few days at this hotel. For this review I have decided to correct various incorrect statements in other peoples reviews:

Breakfast: excellent with a choice of normal and large sized cereal bowls.

VAT Refund: only applies to the 7% on accommodation. Food and spa services are excluded by the rules of the scheme.

Towels: large towels provided in room for swimming / sauna with additional hand towels available in the spa.

I enjoyed the walk to / from town and whilst I would only want to do it once a day it was not too far or too hard a climb back.

Found evening food in the Seehaus restaurant better than in the hotel.

Swimming pool: just the right temperature for swimming and a constant depth.

Old squash court has been converted into a fitness room, but never saw anyone using it.

The water in the hotel is “Grander-Wasser” – not recycled water!

Sauna was open to 10pm and is separated from the swimming pool area.

Deluxe room was not worth paying extra for.

Paying: credit card machine gives option of paying in currency that card was issued in, or euros – the choice is yours.

Only negative (may be) was the waterfall just outside room – I kept waking thinking it was pouring with rain!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
Cotuit, Massachusetts
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 28, 2011

The wife and I stayed here in early May for 3 nights and loved the hotel. The hotel was clean and quiet (we were there during shoulder season, between winter/ski and summer season, so that may have had something to do with it), and the staff friendly and for the most part spoke English. We had a room with a queen sized bed in it and found the bed to be quite comfortable. The room itself was a bit small for what Americans are use to, but comfortable nonetheless. The bathrooms were clean, good sized and had plenty of towels, soaps and shampoos. The rooms all have beautiful views; we had a fabulous view of Garmisch and the valley below. Outside of breakfast we didn't eat at the hotel, so I can't comment on lunch and dinner, but the breakfast buffet was good and had a good selection of both hot and cold foods to choose from. As previous posters have already said, this hotel is not in Garmisch proper, but up on the side of the mountain, so having a car is the preferred method of getting into town. You can certainly walk into town, which is probably a 30 -45 minute walk, but the trip back up is going to be tough for those not in shape. All in all we had a fabulous time and would certainly stay here again.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled as a couple
Oostkamp Belgium
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 29, 2011

We stayed over there with three people in one bedroom, very helpful desk en personnal, always friendly and helpful, I needed internet access, normally should have to pay but when I left, there were NO extra charges and if I mentioned they did forget , they said well if nothing was charged nothing had to be paid! Breakfast buffet is delicious, good variation of all possible choices! It's on of the best locations I've ever been in Germany, every day there are several to the weather condition adapted trip suggestions in the breakfast room on your table, this is for me a hotel to recommend to everybody

• Stayed December 2010, traveled with family
Naples, Italy
3 of 5 stars Reviewed June 3, 2011

Pros: pleasant, helpful staff; lovely grounds (trout pond, hiking trails), very quite/peaceful, very nice breakfast buffet included in the rate.
Cons: no wi-fi in the rooms, wi-fi in the common lobby but it costs $20/day; the hotels a bit of a trek from town-- definitely walkable, but it'll take you b/w 30-45mins each way, I was charged in USD v. Euro.

The rooms themselves were typical tourist class-- nothing to rave about, but no complaints. Bathrooms were a bit bigger than normal EU standards-- stand-up showers but no tub. Breakfast was very nice and more substantial than alot of Continental type breakfasts. I also ate dinner at the outdoor restaurant (you've a choice of about 3 restaurants on the property) and found the food and service good. Pricing was higher than out in town, but not outrageous.

Re: being charged in USD, I prefer to pay in the hotel's local currency (in this case, euro) b/c typically hotel's don't offer a very competitive exchange rates. Riessersee, without asking, charged me in USD. When I asked if they could please charge me in euro instead, they told me it was "not possible b/c my credit card's issuing bank was American." That's complete rubbish. I've stayed all over Europe, Asia, and Africa and I promise, you can charge euro/etc to my cc. Having to catch a flight out of Munich, I wasn't in the mood to argue the point, so I let it go, but this was disappointing/annoying to me.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled on business
Bucharest, Romania
4 of 5 stars Reviewed March 5, 2011

This place is located a little bit outside the resort and there is no public transportation available but if you go by car they have a garage under it, very convenient and accessible. We have booked a maisonette, which means a two levels studio with bathroom, expandable couch, desk and wardrobe at ground level plus a queen size bed and tv upstairs. If you travel with kids is very convenient. Breakfast was great, good choice of all kinds of food, from light to heavy... Pool was a bit too cold for my taste but accessible from any room, as well as the entire spa. Just the room temperature was a problem, but after keeping it on maximum for a while it becomes comfortable. The only thing to be avoided is the main restaurant for dinner. You can have two choices: either you take the buffet choice at 25 euros per person, which didn't impressed us at al, or you can go for a la carte menu, which is too heavy and inexpressive. But Garmisch has great places...

• Stayed March 2011, traveled with family

Been to Riessersee Hotel Resort? Share your experiences!