“Health and Safety doesn't figure” 1 of 5 stars

Visit Zugspitze like an insider
Top Rated
$90*
and up
Zugspitze, Linderhof Castle and Oberammergau Day...
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Activities: Skiing, Snowboarding
More attraction details
Owner description: At nearly 10,000 feet, Germany's highest peak is a popular ski area during the winter and a challenging hiking trail during the rest of the year.
London, United Kingdom
3 attraction reviews
“Health and Safety doesn't figure”
1 of 5 stars Reviewed December 21, 2013

This place looks beautiful and the infrastructure is impressive...BUT... safety is superficial at best.
We arrived having spent 208 Euros for a 2 day pass..for two adults and two kids. We decided we wanted to go sledging...and paid another 22 Euros for sledge hire. There are two Rodelbahnen tracks, both of which we were told were open... We went to the first track, Sonnenkar....no children under six..that's ok our two are nine and thirteen. It looked a bit steep at the start, so we walked down to a leveller area, then started our ride. Within a few seconds we realised something was wrong. It was impossible to get any purchase on the ice. My ten year old daughter hurtled by me and shortly after came off...my son was out of site by now. She was tumbling fast ..I managed to stop by piling into the side of the snow. When I got to her she had a bloody nose, swollen chin and was shocked but not badly hurt. Thankfully my son had managed to somehow stop himself, we had to climb back up which took the best part of fifty minutes.
When we got to the back to the info desk, they told us that the particular stretch we used was closed. This completely contradicted their earlier advice, plus no one who hired the sledges told us this. I was furious...didn't they realise something very serious could have happened? We asked them why there were no signs informing people that this track was closed. They said that there were electronic displays in the building which showed the track was closed, we couldn't see this displayed on the screens.They accepted that there were no signs at the track itself, but they would put one up now we had complained... There was a lot of passing the buck...info telling us that the hire place should have told us... one of the team denying ever having told us that the run was open. Basically no one seemed to take any responsibility...
I know that skiing resorts are potentially dangerous places, but surely signage is a basic requirement .
As we left the resort...my kids don't want to go back tomorrow, I noticed that a danger sign had gone up at the run...
When we got down to the bottom, Eibsee, I checked the display..sure enough the display showed that the run was open.... Someone really needs to sort out the communication in this place!

• Arabic first
London
3 attraction reviews
“Great Day Out”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 19, 2013

Yes, it is a little pricey, but even for a non-skier there was plenty to see and eat! You get great views of the surrounding mountains and there's even a little Crystal Viewing room if you can't stand the cold!
Really good dining and drinking options with some of the best views. Have visited a few peaks in Switzerland, but the facilities on the Zugspitze far surpassed Switzerland.
Do visit the exhibit/museum on-site for interesting photos and stories, a short video and more views.
Lastly, taking the cable car seemed much quicker than the train going up, though I think on the way down both the cable car and the train were very crowded with mostly skiiers. So plan accordingly.

London, United Kingdom
“Top of Germany”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 12, 2013

We were there on a bright and sunny day. The views were immense and the train/cable car journey the best. Will definitely return one day.

4 attraction reviews
“Beautiful but too expensive, in retrospective I wouldn't go at this price”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed December 11, 2013 via mobile

The mountain and view is beautiful, but if you're not skiing I don't think it's worth the price. Putting the cost aside we had fun, and even rented a buggy slide.

Phoenix, Arizona
11 attraction reviews
“Breathtaking views”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed December 10, 2013

We came to Garmisch specifically to reach the summit of the Zugspitze and it was one of the most breathtaking views I have ever seen. Yes, it was expensive to get to it but when you consider what they had to do to construct a way up there it's not such a big deal. We took the cogwheel train to Eibsee and the cable car up/down. It was ridiculously cold and windy, but there wasn't a cloud in the sky and you could see for miles. The Alps were STUNNING. It was so clear, you could see the contrails of several flights over the mountains. I would have stayed up there for hours and hours had it not been so freezing, but it was awesome that you could also step into Austria. We ate lunch at the Panorama restaurant and it was tasty. Would definitely recommend a visit here to anyone!