“Beautiful and Elegant” 4 of 5 stars
Review of Atlas Grand Hotel

You added Atlas Grand Hotel to your Saves list
Atlas Grand Hotel
4.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ludwigstr. 49, 82467 Garmisch-Partenkirchen, Bavaria, Germany (Formerly Post-Hotel Partenkirchen)   |
DFW
“Beautiful and Elegant”
4 of 5 stars Reviewed August 21, 2012

I would recommend this hotel because of its original interior. The rooms and common areas reflect a bygone era of elegance that is hard to find in most hotels today. The breakfast buffet was also very extensive.

Room Tip: Ask for a view of the mountains.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled solo

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (16)
Munich, Germany
1 of 5 stars Reviewed August 14, 2012

Beds were ultra-hard and we spent a completely sleepless night. Taking a shower was difficult due to a useless shower enclosure. Wifi connection was impossible. the connection being dropped every other second. Mini-safe did not work. Walls and furniture were stained. No slippers to get to the sauna. Bathroom was very old and not renovated as advertised.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled as a couple
Phoenixville, Pennsylvania
2 of 5 stars Reviewed July 19, 2012

Bottom Line Upfront- Don't stay in this hotel if you are an American.

This went bad from the very beginning. My wife and I arrived at the hotel in a cab after having travelled by train from Prague. We took a cab to the hotel and had the driver wait for us while we checked in and then take us to a restaurant. We checked in to the room and found it was a single room. I said to the front desk clerk, Hey that is a single room and there is two of us. We are going to get something to eat and we will sort it out when we get back. We go out to the cab and go to La Baita Italian restaurant on Zugspitze Strasse. We return to the hotel. I was kind of hoping that the clerk would have used some initiative and put us in a double room before we got back and moved the had the luggage transferred to the new room

The same junior employee is at the front desk. However, it this time there is also a rather senior employee with him. I told the senior employee of the problem and she started to look through the paper work. While this is going on, the junior guy is doing everything he can to blend in to the wood work. This goes on for a couple of minutes when the senior employee tells me that she can find no record of us being at the hotel earlier. Now, keep in mind all our luggage is in the single room.

I then tell the lady to ask the guy where the paperwork is because he is the one who checked us in to the hotel, less than two hours ago. He comes over slowly and says that he does not remember us. I look at the guy and know that being in his twenties, early onset Alzheimer's has not effected him to this point. I tell him that he put us in a single room and we are a couple. Between the two of them, they find the paperwork.

The lady informs me that it was my fault because I did not read the top line that had my name written on it. Had I done so, I would have seen right from the beginning that someonelse's name was on the top of the form. I then moved the baggage from the single room to the double room. The desk clerk coming to help me would have been a nice touch but he didn't offer.

The room itself was nice. Although, it was a little on the dark side. It was clean and the bathroom was very modern.

Service at breakfast was extremely poor. They don't have one less employee then they need, they have two less employees then they need. I could hear the waitress asking the people next to us if they wanted coffee, expresso or cappuccino. When they got around to me, I was asked if I wanted coffee. One day, I was done eating breakfast before I got coffee. On Saturday, the staff was totally overwhelmed and we went down the street to the Drei Mohren Gausthaus for breakfast.

I don't think speaking English is a problem for the staff. I just think we were treated differently. We stayed at the same hotel two years ago and it was great. At the time, they had an American flag out front. This time they didn't. I guess that might have been a clue

We won't go back. If you do go, I will say avoid rooms on the first floor. We would call it the second floor in the states. There is a walkway outside the rooms that leads to a sauna.

Room Tip: The upper floors (two or higher) are better than the first floor.
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
Virginia Beach
5 of 5 stars Reviewed July 12, 2012

We stayed here in July '12. On the booking we let them know we were brining a dog and there was a dog bed and bowls waiting for us in the room. Clerks were friendly and breakfast was great!

• Stayed July 2012, traveled with family
Atlanta, Georgia
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 11, 2012

This hotel is beyond words. It is a very old hotel but has been updated for comfort. The breakfast was fabulous in such a great setting.
I wish we had been able to stay longer!

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking the Alps. Be sure to take your paperwork with you as you might not get t...
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
Orlando, Florida
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 29, 2012

My brothers and I stayed one night at the Atlas Grand Hotel during our vacation in Germany in May 2012, and it was our favorite hotel that we stayed in. The hotel is very nice, a four-star hotel in a renovated building that is probably at least two or three centuries old, located on a lovely old street in the Partenkirchen section of Garmisch-Partenkirchen. The view of the Alps from our balcony was spectacular; we sat there for over an hour just looking at the mountains.
And the customer service was excellent. When we got to the hotel, we found out that they didn't have a room for us, because the travel agency we'd booked the hotel through hadn't let the hotel know we were coming. The hotel was supposed to be full, but they looked around and found an empty room for us. They handled the situation very well. Monika and Rita at the hotel were very professional, very helpful and very friendly, too; they treated us like valued guests. Monika even recommended a good place to watch the Bayern München-Chelsea soccer game on TV.
The rooms were nice, with a decent amount of space, free wireless internet and a flat screen television. I thought the bathroom was real nice. And the hotel was very nice on both the outside and the inside. It was reasonably priced, too. The beds were a bit firm, but a lot of hotels in Germany have firm beds, and I didn't have any trouble sleeping.
I want to go back to Garmisch-Partenkirchen one day (it's a great city), and when I do, I want to stay at the Atlas Grand Hotel again. I really liked this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled with friends
Nashville, TN
5 of 5 stars Reviewed May 11, 2012

Our friend in Tuscany also recommended Garmisch-Partenkirchen. We found the Atlas Grand Hotel on Booking.com. The room was in the newer wing of the hotel. Very clean and comfortable. We especially like the sauna. Charming city that gives you a very nice Barvarian experience.

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family

Been to Atlas Grand Hotel? Share your experiences!