“Look no further, this is the place.” 5 of 5 stars
Review of Hotel Turmwirt

You added Hotel Turmwirt to your Saves list
Hotel Turmwirt
3.5 of 5 Hotel   |   Ettaler Strasse 2, 82487 Oberammergau, Bavaria, Germany   |
Ranked #10 of 28 Hotels in Oberammergau
Boone, North Carolina
“Look no further, this is the place.”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed November 16, 2010

If you are looking for a conveniently located hotel in the Oberammergau area, then this is the place. Spent two nights with my family of four in this immaculately maintained hotel. The room was well appointed with a newly renovated bathroom and flat screen tv. Our plan included a wonderful breakfast complete with scrambled eggs and bacon. Great value and great location made for a great vacation stay.

• Stayed November 2010, traveled with family

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (7)
Moorefield, ON, Canada
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 8, 2010

The food was excellent, service personal and great, exceptionally clean and neat, yet homey. LOVED the balconies. Church bells; nice bonus that it is easily found from anywhere because next to the church dome; Breakfast was outstanding; nice to have the elevator available; very lovely people. it would be great to come back when the Passion Play was not on, as well (though it was amazing!) to see the town in a relaxed quiet time.

• Stayed September 2010
Indianapolis
2 of 5 stars Reviewed October 6, 2010

Where to begin? The first evening I used the public community near the front desk, and it locked up because of a problem at the Web site. I called out to the attendant (who seemed like she might be in the owner's family) and reported that I had locked up the machine. I asked her where the delete key was, because I wanted to get to task manager. i fully disclosed my attempt to help myself before bothering her, and she snapped at me, 'Why would you do that?!" i said that this is a very common way to close a program...the next day we noticed that we received different food from everyone else in the dining room. (We were there on an Oberammergau package.) They all had roast beef, and we had chicken. I figured the others at our table dining at an alternate time had made a special menu request and assumed it was a simple mistake. When we asked a server about it, she didn't know why it had happened. At dinner, we got chicken and french fries instead of what everyone else was getting, including the other folks who shared our table. At this point we decided we were being punished for having tried to fix the computer ourselves, but no big deal--we were checking out in the morning. Bright and early, we went down to get our car key from the front desk and were told by the owner that we owed him 5 euros for 2 cokes from the previous night's dinner. I had drunk wine, and one of the others at our table had, and we picked up the bill for that. We ended up just paying the 5 euros to get out of that place. i can understand if maybe they are sick of the Oberammergau business by now, but hello---it's the age of the Internet, and tourists have recourse. And oh yeah, they are using these horrible big square pillows that provide no support. i triple-folded mine to try to make it work.

• Stayed September 2010, traveled as a couple
Cape May, New Jersey
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 1, 2010

I attended The Passion Play at end of July 2010 with extended family members, and was blessed to stay at Hotel Turmwirt. The wonderful host, Georg Glas, who is a member of the cast, greeted his guests at dinner like a hearty paterfamilias, and participated amiably in discussions about the Play and the community. The rooms were spotlessly clean and comfortable. The hotel is right beside the church, and I felt comforted by the beautiful church bells through the night. Also, the hotel is a perfect short distance from the attractions in town, and rests in a quiet nook under the church tower and below the famous mountaintop, making it easy to find while walking back to one's room.

• Stayed July 2010, traveled with family
Billings, Montana
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 1, 2010

I have stayed at this hotel on all of my visits to Bavaria since 1983 and have never bothered to look elsewhere after my first experience. The owners are extremely friendly as is the rest of the staff and the value for your money is excellent. The restaurant provides good food and service at good value. I plan on going again this year with my granddaughter and have every intention of trying to stay there. Unsure of my exact date I can only hope there will be space available. I will look elsewhere only if there is no vacancy. The family has recognized me since my first visit in 1983 and make it a point to say hello when they see me.

• Stayed April 2008, traveled with friends
Hughesville, Pennsylvania
5 of 5 stars Reviewed October 14, 2009

Hotel is right across from the church and I enjoyed hearing the church bells. The hotel was great and the family that owns/operates the hotel were very friendly and helpful!

Stayed December 2007
Cape Town
5 of 5 stars Reviewed January 28, 2009

This was our first stay in Oberammergau and we landed in this hotel because of a mistake of our original booking. Our first hotel made a double booking for our stay, so they booked us into this hotel without notifying us. When we booked into the hotel I was not a happy customer but I must tell you I was surprised beyond my imagination. The owner and staff were the friendliest people in town. They were my info centre and were always friendly and helpfull. We enjouyed our stay so much that we stayed an extra 2 nights. I will always go back to the Turmwirt and higly recomend the hotel to everyone

• Liked — The friendliness of the staff
  • Stayed December 2008, traveled with family
    • 5 of 5 stars Check in / front desk
    • 4 of 5 stars Business service (e.g., internet access)

Been to Hotel Turmwirt? Share your experiences!