“Experience of a lifetime!” 5 of 5 stars

Website
Improve this listing
Certificate of Excellence 2014
Moorpark, CA
“Experience of a lifetime!”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed June 16, 2006

Wow!!! A must do if you are anywhere near Bavaria. I was staying in Salzburg and took the bus from Salzburg Bahnhof as the other reviewers suggested. I also did the Harpers tour which was very good. Met some fantastic people in the small van. This is a must for anyone interested in WWII history. The other tours through Panaroma and Bob's Tours are more oriented on seeing the whole area. I debated, but glad I went for this one focused on the Eagle's Nest.

LAKE KONIGSEE : I never got up close and personal to Lake Konigsee, so will have to do this on the next trip. There is a trail from near the Berchtesgaden Bahnhof to the Lake (I've attached pictures) but it's about 3.5 miles (I think).. I didn't make it that far as I had to get back to meet the tour group at 1:30pm. Next time I would make it a priority to rent a bike and get to the Lake, on the fabulous trial. Still you do get a spectacular view of the Lake from the top of the Eagle's Nest (picture attached).

The Harper's Tour includes:
BUNKERS: Really fascinating. You can do this on your own (another review I read said otherwise?) but I appreciated the guided tour.

DOCUMENTATION CENTER: provides Nazi history of the area and photographs. Everything is written in German here, so for monolinguists like myself I definately recommend a guided tour.

EAGLE'S NEST: ride up is breathtaking. Everyone on the bus gasped when we first saw the view of the valley below. The EAGLE'S NEST is now a restaurant, but you still get a guided tour through it to see Hitler's fireplace, Eva Braun's "room", etc. You also get to ride up in the gold elevator.

There really aren't words to express the views so I've attached some pictures (that still can't even do it justice). I was there in middle of June and there was still snow which only made it more unbelieveable.

• Czech first
  • Greek first
  • Hungarian first
A TripAdvisor Member
“Eagles Nest: What's New and Improved”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed August 20, 2005

We heard mixed reviews about a trip to Eagles Nest; perhaps someone got on the wrong bus? Eagles-Nest-Tours was sensational. We were given the history and background on this southern mountain outpost of the Nazi party, including a tour under the mountain through the bunkers. There is a new museum here; well worth the trip. And the view from the top is spectacular. You might want to try lodging at the new Intercontinental, which is at the base of the mountain. An alternative is the wonderful spa resort, Alpenhotel Zechmeisterlehen, 20 minutes away in Konigssee -- excellent spa facilities and mountain view.

A TripAdvisor Member
“On Top of the World”
5 of 5 stars Reviewed September 22, 2003

I have just returned from a brief excursion to Austria/Germany. The highlight of our trip was a visit to the Eagle's Nest or Hitler's Teahouse in the Bavarian Alps. The Eagle's Nest was constructed on top of Mount Kehlstein by Martin Bormann for Hitler's fiftieth birthday. On the day of our visit we were blest with perfect weather and the views gradually unfolded in front of us as we made our way up the twisting mountain roads. On our arrival at the midway point up the mountain we left our tour coach and boarded one of the special coaches used exclusively for visitors to the Eagle's Nest. These coaches continued up the almost vertical road, their drivers competently negotiating the hairpin bends and several tunnels blasted through the rock until we eventually arrived just below the summit. From here we disembarked from the coaches and entered a tunnel under the mountain which led us to the high speed lift which would take us to the summit. The lift can hold 46 people and takes approximately 46 seconds to reach the top. It is lined with brass and is the original one installed when the project was completed in 1938. At the top the 360 degree views were stunning and we were hard pressed to decide where we should take our next picture.
There were refreshment outlets at the top where we could obtain a meal or enjoy a cold beer while savouring the scenery. There were approximately 25 people on our tour and they all agreed that the trip to the Eagle's Nest was the highlight of their trip.